Attention authors, writers, and journalists:

Grizzly” is reserved for the bear, and geographical places named after the bear. Also Grizzly Adams.

If it’s gory, gruesome, or gnarly – the word you’re looking for is “grisly.”

That is all.

Fo’ shizzle, ma grizzle.

Have you come across many egregious misuses of this word in recent times - enough to inspire you to create this PSA?

There are several words like this I see commonly misused. Trying to think of the others, but yes, I can only chuckle when some junior reporter writes about a grizzly murder scene.

As long as I don’t have to refer to it as a Grizzlysup[/sup] brand Ursine Animal.

Things can still be grizzled, though, right?

Depends on how you use it. I’ve seen it used instead of “gristled”, for instance.

My uncle shot a grizzly bear once, so one night we had grizzly steaks for supper. Mine was cooked rare as blood, the way I like it, but had some gristle in it.

Best damn grisly, gristley grizzly steak I ever ate.

True story. (said Pinnochio)

I was reviewing a presentation today that said that someone “couldn’t conger up a smile.” I was wondering what eels had to do with it, until I realized that they meant “conjure”.

In other news, people do not “pour” over a document unless maybe they’ve been melted first, and “breaks” are not the things that stop a car.

Baseball is not America’s past time. (Not yet, anyway.)

I’ve never been taken for granite, nor put on a pedal stool.

Just as bad as wearing a straight-jacket or having a nice, taught abdomen.

Slightly off topic, but since we’re here:

He did not give it to Sue and I. It is not from John and I. This is not between you and I.

The distinction between subject and object is one of the most basic elements of the English language (and every other language I know). If you’re an author, a writer or a journalist, and you can’t tell the difference between subject and object, you need to get a different job.

When you have a grizzly gristly grisly wound with blood flowing all around, a tourniquet staunches it not.

Dervorin: Word; and god yes!

**CalMeacham: ** Snerk, and yes.

Czarcasm: Me too. Hmmm, there’s a cult band called Throbbing Gristle… "Throbbing Grizzle " … awk, my brain hurts.

**SpoilerVirgin: ** Ha ha hahahaaa! Perhaps it had something to do with differring social morays?

El_Kabong: Yup!

And why does no one seem to get the difference between “reign” and “rein?”

I blame spell-checking. Used to be you’d have a human proofreader who’d catch these things. Now, if you happen to use the wrong homonym or a creative combination of other legitimate words (that is still wrong), you will sail through with it.

Oh, and when talking about raindrops peeling off the windows of a spaceship flying in the atmosphere of a planet, the factor you’re referring to is “wind shear.”
“Sheer” is the drop from the spaceship to the ground. :slight_smile:

P.S. It was only after I had seen “grizzly” misused in three separate places that I felt I could not help myself. I mean, come on!

What about grizzly kids?

:confused:

Little Prunella met a grisly fate when she encountered a grizzly and was reduced to gristle, said the grizzled old mountain man.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen any of the these spelling errors in published materials. Just in personal or internal correspondence, or in students’ drafts. And that’s all that these are: spelling errors. When people do this they’re not intending to write about bears, etc., so to act as if that were the case is somewhat disingenuous, IMHO.

I see every day; people can’t tell the difference between the indefinite article (an), and the conjunction (and). As in ”I had and awful time yesterday.” Makes me crazy.

Oddly, I only see and hear the last example, “Between you and I”, and even the best commentators might slip up on that one. Weird.

Thank you.