Attire for wedding guests - necessary to specify it's formal?

Reading this thread has convinced me that you may be right. Let me put it this way instead: People in my by no means wealthy or especially sophisticated social circles know that wedding=dress well.

I refute you thus:

Darth Vader is going to have sex with The Little Mermaid? :eek:

I’m sorry, that’s all I got out of that.

That particular interpretation had not occurred to me. Now it has, and it is your fault. For my revenge I will point out that Darth’s penis is doubtlessly no more than a blackened stub given stiffness only by the Force, so that that image will be with you always.

Better than killer bees.

Huh?

Better you give me that image than sic your killer bees on me!

Oh, yeah. I forgot about the killer bees. You know I only pay attention to what the rest of you guys post; I already know what I think.

Besides, if you did something to merit the bees, I’d just have to release them on somebody else. The precedent was set long ago.

I don’t consider myself a complete rube, but to be honest I have never, ever in my life seen or heard of a middle or upper middle class wedding that expected the *guests *to go full “black tie” - attendants, MOHs , best men sure but *guests *…no way.

Maybe at the upper ends of the social stratosphere where everyone has a tux in their closet, this is not a big deal ,but if you are not in this socio-economic cohort meeting the black tie requirement means that a number of people would be renting tuxes for $100-$150 a pop. Unless the circumstances were incredibly compelling a "black tie " wedding is one where I and my wedding present would be missing.

Also anyone who assumes educated people will be able interpret code words for how to dress please don’t. There are lots of people making lots of money who might have one or two suits and are not fashion wise. DON"T ASSUME BE AS EXPLICIT AS POSSIBLE!!

A. Tuxedo rentals in the city of Chicago start at $49.99, as of last year. I’m sure it’s even cheaper in places that aren’t Chicago.

B. Cry me a fucking river. Ask your date how much she spends on her dress, shoes, hair, makeup, waxing, manicure…

My sister hired a local college voice student to sing the processional in her wedding. He showed up on wedding day in a tee-shirt and black jeans. :smack:

Your numbers are way off. I’ve had to rent two full tux outfits for black tie affairs in the last 12 months. One for my son’s prom, and one for a business function.

Unless that’s a “polyester special” tux that’s that the cheapest full tux rental I’ve ever heard of. L.A. was 125.00 and Eastern shore of MD was 119.00.

See

So you want to rent a tuxedo?

How much does it cost to rent a tuxedo from Men’s Wearhouse?

It’s one of those rules that I guess is sadly falling by the wayside, but the idea is that you don’t wear mourning attire to a wedding. Black evening attire is okay (not fantastic, but many women’s sole evening gowns are black) but black in the afternoon has a funereal appearance. That’s the idea, anyway. It’s really for women, not men.

You know, I don’t think I like anybody enough to wear black tie to their wedding if I wasn’t in it.

Be very specific in the invite, but expect a number of people to decline to attend.

I know that back in 1949 my mom and dad horrified my dads side of the family because they specifed tuxedos - it being 1949 and a lot of my moms relatives and their friends being poor. The tux was the equivalent to todays dressy armani suit. The business suit was the polo shirt and slacks of the time.

Times change. I went to a friends wedding and there was some freaking yahoo there who wore jeans, tshirt and fucking ball cap inside. He also was drinking beer from the bar out of the freaking bottle, he refused the bartender pouring it into a glass. That is red neck picnic behavior, not even casual wedding behavor.

By all means, specify explicitly what sort of clothing people should wear. Just don’t be shocked when no one shows up. :stuck_out_tongue:

Same here. I’ve never been to or even heard of anyone I am at all acquainted with having a black tie wedding. Maybe big city socialites do that sort of thing, I don’t know, but I absolutely would not expect this was what the couple had in mind unless it said so specifically on the invitation.

At least you can rent a tux, though. A woman who needs a gown is almost certainly going to have to buy a new one. I’ve never even owned a gown myself, and plenty of women last purchased one for their high school prom or MAYBE a college formal dance. If the female black tie invitee has still got her prom gown around it’s unlikely to still fit or still be in style, so off to the store she must go.

I agree with you on the finances, but WhyNot’s point about the expense that women, um, expend on dressing formally still holds.

Absolutely. Lately in Spain people have gone to wearing nightgowns even for morning-ceremony weddings. If I’m expected to wear one of those, I’m directly not going!