Aussies now have biggest homes on the planet.

Americans no longer have the largest homes on the planet. The average Australian home is now 214.6 sq meters (2,310 sq feet) while the average American home has shrunk from 201.5 sq meters (2,169 sq feet), to 212 sq meters (2,282 sq feet). Oddly unlike the US where homes have gotten bigger as families have gotten smaller in Australia familys are apparently getting bigger along with there homes.

Huh? American homes have shrunk UP?

In Australia, up is down.

Well then are the builders putting in more kitchen counter space? I’ve seen a few Aussie home listings (of friends) and the lack of counter space would freak us right out. Or maybe I had a skewed sample, but they were nice homes and all.

It’s not mentioned in the linked article, but from newspaper reports when this survey came out a couple of days ago I believe that this is the biggest new houses.
Which, at the moment, is a skewed sample in that homes being built right now in the US tend to be smaller than they would have been two years ago, whereas in Australia (which has a housing shortage rather than a housing bust) new homes are tending to be built on the outer fringes of the metro area where people like to take advantage of the space.

It’s only because of those wrap around verandas they added just to take first place.

All correct. Our economy is strong and never went into recession. Our population is growing rapidly and we have space. As an Aussie, I am ashamed and disgusted by this ‘achievement’. The endless new estates of grossly oversized houses have ridiculous energy needs. There are no energy efficient design requirements of value, and no requirement to include solar panels, despite the abundance of sunshine. Our energy is coal-generated. We pollute at a horrendous per-capita rate. Many of these houses are European in design without eaves or verandas, and hence need air-conditioning during the heat.

We do not have enough water. This is the driest continent, and much of it is in a long term drought, such as Victoria, where I live. They don’t require water tanks on these new monstrous houses, nor roof shapes which suit water catchment, when our water supplies are perilously low. On a global scale, life here is pure luxury. That should bring with it obligations as well.

In the newer areas of Canberra… the houses might be the same or larger than in the past, but the blocks are getting smaller.

yeah, garden size is shrinking all the time.

We’re actually about to have to start looking for a new house (sigh) and I’m hardly even bothering to look at anything new or recently renovated because I know they’re going to have pushed the house boundaries as far back on the block as possible, leaving just a teeny tiny courtyard for “garden” and maybe not even that so that they can put in their three bathrooms or walk-in-wardrobe or whatever it is they think (hah!) they can squeeze in to a tiny inner suburbs block.

And the big cities keep growing. I really don’t understand that. I mean, yeah, people want to come and live in this country and i’m certainly not opposed to them doing that. But somehow they all seem to end up in Melbourne and Sydney which are groaning at the seams, while the dying country towns are crying out for more people. But while the city’s still zoning new blocks of land on the fringes for megahouses, people are going to keep buying them and living in them.

I’m sorry - I now have an image of someone of indeterminate ethnicity, tears streaming down his face, standing on the deck of a steamship coming through the heads of Sydney Harbour with all his wordly possessions and clutching a picture of the magical land that he’s dreamed of all his life. That he’s sacrificed everything for. That he’s almost close enough to touch.

The fantastical metropolis known around the world only as “Walgett”.

Jayzus, it’s a long bus ride from Sydney to Walgett. You wouldn’t see it from Sydney Harbour, mate! Not to mention that immigrants don’t arrive by ship any more: they come by plane, or on an overloaded fishing boat that sinks just within sight of Christmas Island.

I know where Walgett is. It’s an example of use of stereotypes for humourous effect. C’mere - let me explain the meaning of these “jokes” that people keep telling you about…

My point was that Aspidistra was decrying that immigrants only settle around the major cities and Melbourne. Except for a certain few who turn up for mining jobs and get plonked on the first transport to Woop Woop, I was pointing out - through apparently over-subtle means - that there’s nothing to attract someone from half-way around the world to settle in a country town. Feel free to replace Walgett with Dubbo, Charters Towers, Wodonga, Moonta, Zeehan or any of the similarly-sized bumgrapes ringing this particular arse-end of the world.

I think there’s a couple of thousand people currently sitting in detention centres who’d love to exchange their current prison for even a run down weatherboard in Woop Woop … but in fact there’s a big difference between a little country town and somewhere like Dubbo, which has libraries, galleries, parks, sports grounds … probably about the same amount of reachable amenities as the outer suburbs of Melbourne.

Personally, if I was just moving here, I’d go live in Bendigo. Dubbo looks a bit hot to me.

Melbourne’s currently more than 100km wide and still growing. A lot of that on prime farmland too. I find the thought of that enoumous sea of concrete somewhat depressing. YMMV.

BTW…

ISWYDT.

whack

That’s the thing people forget- Australia is huge but incredibly centralised. There’s a serious lack of amenities, services, and (in many places) jobs outside the major population centres.

In Queensland (population just over 4,000,000) something like 2.8 million of the state’s residents are in the South-East QLD (Brisbane/Sunshine Coast/Gold Coast) area and and the largest population centre outside SEQ is Townsville (200,000ish), over 1200kms North from Brisbane.

If only. Verandahs are perfect for our climate but, in the pursuit of the biggest McMansion in the 'burbs, most new houses are being built without eaves. Madness.

Shhhhhh! If we move from Melbourne’s outskirts, it’s probably Bendigo we’d head for and we’d like it pretty much like it is.

200sqm doesn’t seem gratuitous when it’s 3-bedroom house and the floor area includes entryways, porches, laundry and a double lock-up garage.

When I visited Oz a few years ago (Blue Mountains, Sydney, Cairns, etc.), I was knocked out by the tremendous average acreage each home sat on, but equally horrified by how small each actual house seemed. (And I was inside quite a few of them, too–tiny kitchens, cramped little living rooms, etc.) Has Oz changed since 2007-8, or did I see the neighborhoods with large grounds and tiny grounds exclusively?

It’s quite expensive to build a house here due to labour and material costs. Remember, we don’t have cheap Mexican/Eastern European immigrants here who can build houses for a lot less than might otherwise be the case.

Meh- my house is the same size it was 5 years ago.