Auto Pilot Driving. I had quite a scare

I think for most part people that have been driving for some time have had the auto pilot drive. The one that when you get there you don’t remember a part of the actual drive. Most of the time this is the mundane drive to work or back.

I have had it before from time to time but today was very strange.

I ran out at lunch to the grocery store. This is not something I do often. I rarely go to the grocery store at lunch. I usually stop after work at the gas station to get smokes and then head home.

I was heading back to work and then bam I was on the freeway on ramp heading home :eek:

It was like I woke up and I even said out loud “where am I going?”

It really gave me a scare and it has been with me all day. I had to drive all the way to the next exit and then get back on and head back the other way. I was freaking out the whole time.

I can only assume my brain thought it was time to head home since I normally do errands after work but it was like my subconscious took over. It was quite scary.

Has anyone had this happen? Where the subconscious took over and you had no clue what you were doing until it was to late?

Sure, never anywhere as far as an entire section of motorway, but I’ve found myself driving along a bit of road and thinking “I was supposed to stop, get out and do a lot of stuff back there.” Not just forgetting, but driving the route as though it was a work day and home time.

And yes, the brief panic when you feel that you were basically out of control is a real laugh.