autos

Which U.S. auto model currently made today has the longest consecutive years made? eg. Corvette 53-99(but none sold in 83) 16 years

I thought this looked familiar:

http://www.straightdope.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/001343.html

Isn’t there a company that just makes taxi cabs. I don’t think they’ve made any changes in the design since they started making them in the 40s. I don’t know if they’re still in business.

Checker Manufacturing,in Kalamazoo, halted production in 1982. First built in 1923, the Checker Cab was redesigned only three times in its history. (1923-1982 = 59 years)

The Avanti, first produced by Studebaker, was introduced in 1963. After much financial trouble, they ceased manufacturing in 1989. There may have been lapses in model years, though, the history of Avanti is somewhat sketchy. (1963-1989 = 26 years)

The military jeep (G.P.) was produced by Willys-Overland beginning in 1941. Soon after WWII, Willys began production of the CJ (Civilian Jeep) in 1945. Kaiser took over Willys-Overland in 1953 and continued production of the CJ until 1970, when AMC bought Kaiser-Jeep. AMC continued production of the CJ until 1987 when Chrysler Corp purchased AMC. Chrysler created a new division, Jeep-Eagle, and continued producing the same vehicle, rebadged as the Jeep Wrangler. DaimlerBenz and Chrysler Corp merged in 1998 to create DaimlerChrysler. The Jeep Wrangler, although updated to reflect todays safety standards and newer technologies, remains largely unchanged from its original configuration, and is still in production today. (1941-1999 = 58 years)

I have to slightly disagree with you Sly.
The Checker Cab was not built from scratch by Checker, it used a lot of GM parts, so I don’t think it qualifies as a true auto maker.

Yeah, I know, hardly any maker builds 100% of their autos, but Checker might better be classified as a coach builder, eh?

Also, I don’t know that I would include the Jeep from 1941, but rather from 1945. Military contracts probably shouldn’t be included since they were not available for general purchase.

That would (based on your input) still put the Jeep Wrangler/CJ as the longest run.

I had thought the Ford F-Series truck would beat that, but it was introduced in 1948, 3 years after the Jeep was generally available.

OK, yeah, I know… picky picky picky. But the question does lend itself to a lot of interpretation. After all, Ford was making pickups long before 1948 (1917, actually) but it wasn’t called the F-Series.

Also, does a truck qualify as an auto?