Avengers 5 officially renamed (Avengers: Doomsday)

You also had the face covering costume.

Yes, other characters like Batman and Spiderman covered their face. But in these cases the mask played to the character hiding their identity.

Notice how when they finally filmed the Iron Man movies, they had a camera angle inside his mask so you could see Robert Downey’s face.

That seems like a reasonable point, and they probably did think at the time that those inside-the-helmet shots were necessary… but we hardly ever see Pedro Pascal’s face at all in The Mandalorian, and it doesn’t seem to have hindered that show.

I remember Iron Man from the old-ass cartoon. Apparently made in the 60s but, like many of those legacy cartoons, still taking up cereal bowl primetime space up through the early-mid 80s.

This doesn’t mean I would have rushed out to see a movie about him based on the cartoon alone but I was aware that he was a super hero

Deadpool also, which is why it got sold off. The only new character that has achieved that kind of popularity since he was from the 90s.

Wasn’t Deadpool just part of the X-Men license bought by Fox?

You’re right, I completely forgot he was a mutant.

They ran those cartoons on WPIX (which we got in South Jersey once we got cable) when I was a kid in the eighties. Those theme songs stuck in my head. Which is why I got such a big kick when they used the cartoon theme song in the Iron Man movie…the band plays it when Tony’s award is announced, and we hear it again when we see Tony in the casino.

He isn’t.

Wellbut, not quite analogous: it’s a Big Thing in-universe that the Mandalorian musn’t ever take his helmet off where anybody else can see him. So “fully masked” is his default appearance.

Unlike the usual superhero character whose face we get accustomed to seeing in his ordinary life, so it feels like he loses relatability if his face entirely disappears when he suits up for derring-do. (Batman etc., even Spiderman don’t vanish all facial cues and contour inside their masks the way Iron Man and the Mandalorian do.)

When Iron Man is talking to people, even when fully suited-up, though, he usually opens his visor. For the very reason, of course, that it makes him more relatable. I think that viewers would probably actually have been fine with him dressed as Tony Stark when doing rich-people things, in full armor with mask closed when fighting, and in full armor but with mask open when he’s talking in the immediate run-up or follow-on to a fight, without needing the inside-the-helmet shots. But I also think that, before The Mandalorian provided a proof of concept, it was reasonable (even though incorrect) for filmmakers to think that those shots were necessary.

Those Tony Stark in-visor shots are important, though, as he still has to evoke a lot of emotion as he navigates a malfunction or stands up to an enemy. Meanwhile Din Djarin is a very stoic character at all times, so there’d be not much to see.

This post is my exact experience with Iron Man. Scarily exact. You don’t live in a small town in SW Michigan, do you?

Deadpool is a Mutate, no “X” factor, but technically still a “mutant” but not X-men type.

Not in Marvel Universe terminology he isn’t.

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Glossary:Mutate

Yes, like I said, he is not a X-factor type of mutant. But in scientific terms he would be.

But we aren’t talking “science terms”, we are talking Marvel terms.

In American comic books published by Marvel Comics, a mutant is a human being that possesses a genetic trait called the X-gene.

Yes, fine. As your cite says- “a mutant is a human being that possesses a genetic trait called the X-gene” and what I said “he is not a X-factor type of mutant”. so we agree.

er…will you turn me into your Herald if I do…or eat my planet???

More seriously, no, although I have been to Michigan a few times, I have never lived there.

//i\\

Movie Deadpool is definitely a mutant.

The only thing that matters in licensing is that Deadpool is an X-Men character, the same way the Silver Surfer or Doom are Fantastic Four characters.