Awful shows that you can't stop watching

I love NCIS, too, but it makes me cringe when McGee and Abby work on computers.

“Hey, boss, this laptop was blown up, the hard drive was shot at close range with a .45, and the pieces were dropped overboard, where they spent three days in the salt water. Everything on the hard drive was encrypted, too, and erased using the electromagnet from the crane at the junkyard. We recovered everything, but it was tough. It took almost an hour!”

I love Bait Car. I also watch all of those “stupid people doing stupid things” shows (like Most Shocking and Most Daring). The narration is silly and inane, but the videos are entertaining.

I also (this is the most embarrassing admission) watch all of those “true haunting” shows, like A Haunting on Discovery and (god help me) The Haunted on Animal Planet. I don’t believe in ghosts, and the “paranormal investigations” are ridiculous, but I eat those shows up anyway.

I am surprised to see Chopped mentioned in this thread.

(Yeah, I watch it)

I love ragging to my friends about how big a butt certain judges can be.

Abby: “The information we need is behind 2,000 FBI-grade firewalls with 64-bit password encryption that changes every 2 seconds!”
Jethro: “English Abby…wait…” slaps DiNozzo “Ok explain again.”
Abby: “But, don’t worry I can break it even faster than it took to explain it to you, and it was actually a complete waste of time for me to page you come down here so I could explain it rather than just cracking it.”
Jethro: “Then get to work!” slaps McGee
Abby: “While you were slapping McGee, I broke through and got all the information we needed!”
Jethro: slaps DiNozzo and Mcgee. Hugs Abby.
Ducky: “Hey ho, I just popped in to say something funny with my funny accent!”

Saved by the Bell. I’ve seen every episode a dozen times, and will still watch it whenever it’s on tv (i.e., 7-9 am every weekday on TBS). I’ll even watch SBTB: The College Years, which utterly sucked.

America’s Next Top Model - I can get sucked into those day-long marathons on the Oxygen network. Mr. Smaje thinks I’m insane.

And to the poster above who hates Kitchen Nightmares – check out Ramsey’s Kitchen Nightmares on BBC America. Kitchen Nightmares is the American FOX version, and it’s AWFUL. I mean, awful horrible terrible. But the original BBC version is super cool. Ramsey actually does help people out. He’s not nice about it, but at least he makes a difference. In the US version, all he does is throw money at the restaurant’s problem, and the stupids who own the restaurant are all such fuck ups that money makes no difference.

Oh, I’ll also watch the Nanny if I happen across it late at night. I mean, seriously. The Nanny. Anyone else love that show? It’s so stupid, and I love it.

Iron Chef, with the caveat that it wouldn’t be an awful show if you were interested in cooking or gourmet food. I’m not. To me, the competitors are just conceited jerks who take perfectly good food and turn it into snot-balls. However, I’m genuinely fascinated by the display of virtuoso talent, and amused by over-the-top theatrics and the ridiculous translations of the judges in the Japanese version. (Random use of subtitles, dubbing, and voice-over … sometimes alternating from judge to judge.)

Add to that the schadenfreude of watching judges choke down the afore-mentioned snot-balls, and I just can’t look away.
I disagree about Chuck though. First of all, it’s not possible to dumb down Alias, and besides Chuck is played for laughs, while Alias seemed to take itself seriously … or was it all a big meta-joke that went over my head?

I get a certain macabre thrill from the interesting Japanese ingredients and the guest celebrities response to the unveiling.
“Oh, squid ovaries, (dramatic pause) again.”

I love Iron Chef! But then, I am very interested in food and gourmet cooking.

My husband is deployed right now, so I’m watching a bunch of crap TV that he wouldn’t like, so as not to be unfair. Currently, I can’t stop watching desperate housewives (I’m in the second season, which I understand is the worst). It’s…implausible, but fun. I also love Grey’s Anatomy.

I don’t have cable in my bedroom, and I cannot abide by the morning “news” programs, so I’ve been watching RTV which is one of those digital substations, in this case, of our local NBC affiliate.

This means my morning “viewing” (i.e. it’s on while I do e-mail and my newspaper and blog reading and such things) consists of The Rifleman (aka Chuck Connors Shoots Everyone) Saved by the Bell, McHale’s Navy, 90 minutes of Leave It To Beaver and Amen.

Glad to see I am not the only one who watches Toddlers and Tiaras, or, as we call it, The Child Abuse Show.

Criminal Minds.

Any real worth it ever had went left with Mandy Patinkin, and while I love Thomas Gibson and I have massive hots for Gubler, it is some of the worst writing I’ve ever seen on a successful TV show.

But I never miss an episode!

I lurv the Chairman’s little spiel about the theme ingredient, too;

If memory serves me correctly . . .

the finest squid ovaries in the world are only found in squids from Lake Sadriphollo, in upper northeastern Oolmodo prefecture. They can only be harvested at midnight during the last half of October in years that are evenly divisible by three. Specially trained opossums are used to gather the squids, and the only ovaries that are of sufficient natural sweetness are the ones found in the hermaphroditic squids. When they are available, they cost $27,000 per once, and we have $3.4 million dollars worth today. They are magnificent with a dolphin pleural mucus, and for a truly exquisite treat, serve them ice cold with Pine Sol.

First,
I love curling on TV. I think it might have subliminal messages in there so that I keep watching (and maybe visit Canadian Tire from time to time) but it’s bizarrely compelling. More so than basketball, at least.

I’m absolutely looking forward to the allstars next month when the people who judge have to do the cooking. I want to see what they come up with and whether they can pull it off.
As to the OP, I’m ashamed to admit that one lazy Sunday afternoon, given the options of cleaning & decluttering my bookcases or watching a Bridalplasty marathon…I chose poorly.

All true…if you watch it as a Drama. If you think of it as a Comedy, then it’s pure gold!

Me too. Well, all of them really. Not so much Atlanta, though. I am looking forward to NY coming back (but when, dammit?!). I think my favorite is Jersey, though. And yes, I do watch the other Bravo shows like Tabatha’s Salon Takeover and Millionaire Matchmaker. And sob I’ve used the term Bravolebrity!

By any reasonable standard, *House *has jumped the shark this year. And it’s not close.

But I’m still watching.

Mike & Molly isn’t a very good show, but I watch it week after week because I just love Swoosie Kurtz. Some of the other cast members (including the two leads) are quite good, too. The scripts suck, though.

100 Ways to Die on Spike TV.

The writing is god-awful (as is the acting in the re-enactments) but Ron Pearlman seems to be having fun narrating.

:confused:

Because he and Cuddy finally got together and without that tension who cares? ( I don’t agree)

or

Because of the completely ridiculous and thoroughly unbelievable medical student (who never seems to actually attend school)? (I agree - not that the whole show is toast, but that she is a TERRIBLE addition.)

All of the above, mate. The medical cases are boring, House trying to negotiate a relationship is unrealistic and neutered, the writing has gone to hell, and all the supporting players are doing characatures of themselves. It’s gone.