B&W Horror Comics

I remember back when I was a little sprout and my dad bought me a comic book. I thought (and I believe he did too) that it was a regular-type book, though he also bought some adult ones and bio ones (like Amy Fisher and people like that). Anyway, this one was filled with horrible things like seductive flesh-eating mermaids, a living medical-display cadaver (the ones that are sliced really fine) and other stories. Does anyone have an idea what the hell I was reading and where I could find it? I want to read it again. Those drawings were creepy (and my first topless women).

When were you a little sprout? The leading publisher of black and white horror comics was Warren Publications, with its twin magazines Creepy (1964-1983) and Eerie (1966-1983). They were definitely not under the Comics Code Authority seal of approval.

In the interim, content thyself with this–

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1401207863/qid=1151337096/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-8187859-2944823?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

It is top drawer.
BTW–nicely priced, too.

Eerie looks somehow familiar, so that might well have been it. I’ll drop them an email and check. I was reading it at about…I want to say 1986-87? I was 9 or ten, anyway. Good stuff.

Since both Creepy and Eerie folded in 1983, neither could have been bought new for you circa 1986-87.

Or early 90s since he mentions his dad buying the Amy Fisher comic.

Yeah, but they would have been easy to stumble across at yard sales or used book stores in that time frame.

–Cliffy

In the early 90s there was a spate of B&W indy comics, including Revolutionary Comics which specializd in biographical comics about rock stars and groups (Guns ‘n’ Roses, Aerosmith, Kiss, Madonna, etc.). Some of the subjects sued the publisher, Todd Loren, but since these looked like (and basically were) incompetent fan projects, nothing came of the lawsuits. (The Grateful Dead in particular worried that Revolutionary’s comic about them might interfere with their own comics project, which may have evaporated on its own for unrelated reasons).

Ultimately, Loren was murdered under mysterious circumstances. His father tried to continue publishing, but folded the company in short order. Other, smaller publishers tried to mine the territory Loren established. The Amy Fisher comic was published by something called “First Amendment Publishing,” which I guarantee you was (a) exploitive as hell and (b) published out of some guy’s living room.

There were a lot of other black and white horror comics that were lower-class imitators of Creepy and Eerie. You might have seen one of them.

creepy and eerie featured art by some pretty impressive folks – Frank Frazetta did some covers. Wally Wood and Mike ploog and others the stories. They did a few adaptations of classics – edgar Allan Poe and Bram Soker’s “Dracula’s Guest”, and Ambrose Bierce’s “The Damned Thing” and others. (Although they “spiced up” the ending of “THe Cask of Amontillado” by having an aging Montresor coming down to recall the story, and having the water finally break through, with Montresor being pulled down by the motley-clad skeleton of Fortunato. They also sensationalized “The Fall of the House of Usher”.) Most of the time they told stories with Twilight Zone-esque twist endings, but they were top of the heap, head andf shoulders above the other horror comics of the late 60s and early 70s.

The bio ones I recall were double-sided. That means that you’d read one side for, say, Mia Farrow’s tale of woe and misery, then flip it over for Woody’s.

The drawing in the horror comics were b&w too, and very detailed. Ah, what other happy memory could I have used those brain cells to store for years…