Ba-dee-ya, Rantin' in September (monthly mini rants)

But the most disturbing thing I’ve heard today is that there is a mechanical pencil thief loose in the world…

Anyone else here in favor of public humiliation?

Or maybe entrapment … that is sticky, inky, and nearly permanent.

I was just relating that I was in the area but lucky enough that I shouldn’t be in danger, based on the lackadaisical way the locals are treating it.

I’ve been through typhoons before, including this one, when I lived on Guam. They’re no joke.

A friend of mine broke his arm in that typhoon. Why? Because he and another guy got bored and decided to throw an unripe coconut back and forth like a football. Had nothing to do with the storm.

So my mom decided to help a co-worker whose battery had run out. She got out her jumper cables, opened up the lady’s hood, and surprise! there was of course a red cable top…but someone had painted the other one red as well, and there wasn’t any way to tell them apart that she could see. So they rolled the dice and hooked up the cables. Result-melted cables, smoke, and having to call Triple-A. Why would someone do that? A mean practical joke? :unamused:

Best guess: someone thought how things looked was the top priority. Who cares about usability as long as it’s “cute”?

Usually, you can pretty easily see that either one of the cables is the ground (it is just attached randomly to engine/frame somewhere nearby) or that the positive one is leading into something that then has a lot of wires coming out of it to power stuff.

I realize that in some cars, the cables just dive into a very crowded area and you can’t tell, but you might pop the hood on your mom’s car and show her (in case she runs into another case where some decided pretty was more important than useful).

Turns out Tampa airport is closing to incoming flights later today, so she won’t be going. Not sure what the grand daughter is planning at this point, but I’m hoping she can safely evacuate.

I have relatives that are supposed to fly from Sacramento to Orlando tomorrow. They’re supposed to meet a Disney Cruise. One of them is good at adjusting to Plan B.

Got a good one today.
Stayed overnight at bf, slept horribly. Got up at 5. Ride came at 6, we got there at 7.30. Driver said he,'d be back at 11.30. His procedure was cancelled.
So then they say they,re not coming til 2.30 to return to nursing home. I discovered I have a painful UTI.
I call for appointment. Because of late ride, theres no way I’ll make it today. Of course they wont give me antibiotics without coming in. So I get to suffer tonight.

They might be fine, Orlando is where some people are going to for safety.

A few days ago one of them looked up Ian’s projected path and said he was scheduled to hit Orlando 3 hours before their plane was scheduled to leave Sacramento. I haven’t kept up with the projected path, but that sounded like tight scheduling.

It’s expected to only be a tropical storm when it hits Orlando.

That’s not nothing but it shouldn’t be too bad. It could impact flights though.

Orlando International announced that they’re closing at 10:30 AM (I assume Eastern time) Wednesday. Tampa International to close at 5 today.

Their flight cancelled. I think they’re calling Disney because what really matters is where the boat can pick them up and the storm may change that.

I think you should talk to a therapist about co-dependency. What are you getting from this relationship? He is mean to you most of the time except when he wants something from you.

He hasn’t been mean since I approached him to reconcile after he entered the nursing home.

See “except when he wants something from you” (=to help him get out of the nursing home without doing it on his family’s terms).

Remarkably, all of my pencils (and pens) were present this morning. :slight_smile: I’m guessing the pencil thief was out the door yesterday at 4:59 on account of the network issue.

Now I’m sad that I was too stressed out yesterday to properly enjoy a network-free day.

His fathers terms are “never.” He was doing everything himself 6 weeks ago. He goes to and from the bathroom himself in the nursing home.

It has been a trying week, odor-wise.

Sunday I showered with the stinky spaniel, shampooing him in preparation for his upcoming grooming session, so that much of the house smelled like wet dog for the rest of the day.

Monday he comes back from grooming/clipping. They had evidently used some sort of perfumed conditioning product on him, resulting in a stench akin to a French house of ill-repute. And not a five-star Michelin establishment either.

We are in day three of the downstairs reeking of this scent. I imagine Pluto is not very happy about it either. Maybe he will find a dead possum to roll in.

Update the 3rd - I’m still in pain. I don’t think the antibiotics that I started Saturday night are actually working. There is drainage happening that is deeply concerning. I visited the doctor on Monday, like I said earlier, but they still haven’t fixed the order so that we can see if I have an abscess that needs to be dealt with.

This fucking sucks.

2 Comic Book Store Mini Rants

I stopped in at my favorite comic book store today. I usually come out with untold wonders. I brought two cloth shopping bags for the occasion. I found nothing.

The second is only a mini rant because it didn’t happen to me. The comic book shop closest to my building was robbed. The owner was working alone. The criminals asked him for something from a high shelf. He got up on a ladder. They kicked the ladder away, beat him, threatened him with a knife and tied him up with plastic zip ties. The whole thing was caught in great detail on camera. The criminals wore kn95 masks, but the camera got their distinctive tattoos.

This is the fourth crime in my neighborhood to make the news in over 20 years.