Baby name debate: Colin or Collin?

As a Colin, I vote for one L. As I get older, more and more people are pronouncing it correctly. When I was little, I’d say it was maybe one in five.

To be fair, just the other day, a colleague at work called me “Collin” in an email despite the fact that my correctly spelled name was clearly visible in the “To” line.

Kolin.

That’ll fuck 'em.

Colin, one l. However, if you insist on unconventional spelling, the hot trend is to go all out. Kawl’lymn would be about right. :rolleyes:

Colin. The only “Collin” I’ve ever heard of is country singer Collin Raye, but I’ve known plenty of “Colins.”

If baby had been due about 7 weeks ago I’d suggest “Coin”.

Since baby was not due in December, I’ll cast another vote for “Colin”.

“Coin” = “Colin” with, “no L”. Hah hah, I slay me!

Colin, for sure.

I knew a Collin. And his comment regarding his name was as follows:
“yeah, Dad was #$%^& drunk at the hospital, and he’s the one who filled out the forms”

Find a good tool like First Names on the Census.
This one provides a ranking based on how common the name is.
COLIN # 378
COLLIN # 739

My name is apparently the most common
James #1
My son’s is in the 20s, my wife’s in the 700s and my daughter’s is off the charts.

Another good tool: http://www.namestatistics.com/faq.php but it uses the same stats as the last one.

Jim

I vote for the classic 1 L Colin.

I vote for Colin classic.

Christ, who hasn’t done that at work and then embarrassedly noticed it after the fact?
One “L.”

And that’s why my father never had a middle name! (True story.)

Colin.

But with a rock-umlaut over the ‘l’.

Colin.

I have a somewhat conventional name with a bizarre spelling. I actually like it a lot, and I don’t mind in the least having to spell it out all the time. It gives me an excuse to be nit-picky and make sure the the other person did, in fact, get my name correct, letter for letter.

But in my case I was named after a girl that my parents knew when they lived abroad, so when people ask why I spell it the way I do, then I actually do have an interesting story to tell them. If I had to explain over and over, “Oh, my mom thought that extra J in there would be cute” I would not be so amused.

So if you wife doesn’t have any reason for “COLLIN” other than she likes the letter “L”, then I vote for “COLIN” as well.

I vote for “Bob”.

No one screws that one up.

I’m going to buck the trend here and say two Ls. Collin.

IMDB shows way more people named Collin than Colin. here

And most of those are last names or AKAs. AKAs strike me as being either mistakes (on the part of some/all of the people responsible for giving the person credit), translations, or maybe even attempts to make searching easier for the spelling-impaired.

This kind of thing happens to me all the time, which I don’t mind, because I have to (grudgingly) admit that there are two equally legitimate spellings of my name, and I know people write e-mails fast and all that. But, I draw the line at an acquaintance of mine who addressed an e-mail to me spelled the wrong way…despite the fact that it is her name also, and she spells it the same way I do!

I would spell it with one L, just to try to avoid his having to say “Colin with two L’s” for the rest of his life, the way I have to say “Sarah with an H” every single time.

I provided hard census data, why would that be trumped by IMDB data?

On preview I see Hostile Dialect already noted that your search is showing many if not mostly last names.

Jim