My "girl" name is becoming trendy.

My wife and I picked out a girl name several years ago, despite my admonitions that I’m not having a daughter. But, I digress.

The name was around the 200th most popular girl’s name at the time, and we picked it based on a literary character (from a book that had been out a long time, not a new book).

I looked today, and it has moved up every year since then , and cracked the top 50.

By the time we actually get around to having a kid, it will be trendy. DAMMIT.

P.S. My boy name is all mine. It’s well past #600 in popularity…

You just can’t predict what everyone else is gonna name their kid …

18+ years ago, we were looking for nice girl’s name that would be uncommon without being weird & unusual. I my years in the camp business I’d been through a *lot *of kid’s names & figured I “knew the market” pretty well.

so we named her … Caitlin.

Go figure. :smack:

Had a bit better luck with her brother Evan, but there’s not exactly a shortage of Evans around either.

I really like the name Collin and have since well before the current Celtic naming trend. Luckily, by the time I finally get around to having a kid, it’ll be passe and I’ll be able to name him what I want without having to worry about him having ten classmates with the same name.

Unless it’s so far in the future that it’s come *back *in style by then. That’s likely too but I’d rather not think about that.

I was always so proud to have an unusual name. Then it got really popular. I still like it, but it isn’t unusual anymore at all, although I suppose it remains unusual for 22-year-olds and older. I’m partial to my name’s spelling, 'though I suppose I would be no matter what spelling it had been given. Except maybe Kate-Lynn.

And people still don’t know how to spell or pronounce it, despite its popularity.

Whatever you do, don’t name your kid Michael. It’s amazing how popular that name is.

Yeah, but isn’t passe at least as bad as trendy? I weep for the thirty year old Brittneys.

I believe “Caitlin” is actually the Gaelic spelling of “Kathleen” (my own name), which is how it should be pronounced.

At least though, you have Caitlin, Collin, etc, and not Maddacynne or Deztinee.

I feel your pain. Our two girl names have moved steadily from #532 and off the list, respectively, to both being in the top fifties. Le sigh.

We’re pretty sold on Leni for a girl name, and I think the Leni Riefenstahl connection will successfully keep it from ever becoming popular.

Fiveyearlurker, do you plan everything in life this far in advance?

I find it hard to keep track of what I may be doing next weekend, let alone making firm decisions on potential names for potential children :wink:

Hey, at least you found out now. In 1992, when I told people I was going to name my son “Kyle,” every single person said something along the lines of “How unique! How unusual! What ever made you think of it?”

There were 4 Kyles in his class last year. He wasn’t even the only Kyle W. :smack: Luckily, watching LEXX inspired him to choose the nickname Kye, which is pretty unusual.

I don’t think Collin’s anywhere near the saturation point that all the different spellings of Britney reached since its more popular variant, Colin, is only at 89 at the moment. If push really comes to shove though, I’ll go with another favorite that hasn’t even been in the top 1,000 for the past 15 years.

Assuming my wife will let me, that is.

That’s my understanding of the derivation … I’m told by reliable sources that the correct Irish pronunciation is cot-leen.

I still think it’s a great name, but we definitely failed on the uncommon part …

This is why you should only give names to your kids that are nonstandard romanizations of obscure words in non-Indo-European based conlangs.

I particularly like the sound of Lhiňǿvjʓaáł /KI_0NfjL=Qa:5/.

One of my nephew’s named his daughters Summer Sky and Winter Storm.

Cute kids though.

My six-year-old niece is named Caitlin. I don’t think my sister picked the name for it’s popularity. Rather, it was in tribute to our aunt, Cathy, who is in her 50s and has never married or had kids of her own. Our family and my brother-in-law’s family are both heavily Scottish, so that influenced the decision to go for the Gaelic variant.

You let your kid watch LEXX? Wow. Even I get goggle eyed when I watch it!

Ouch. I’m one of approximately a billion Jessicas born during the 80s, and when I was in NCCC, I had TWO roomates named Jessica – we ended up going by our state names. I became “Mississippi”, they were “California” and “Illinois” respectively. It was the only way to sort it out.

California told me once that her mother chose her name because she didn’t know anyone named Jessica. Then in the hospital, one of the nurses said, “Oh, my little girl is named Jessica!” When her mom arrived home, a friend at work told her, “My little niece is named Jessica!” On and on. Everywhere she turned, little Jessicas. Apparently everyone had the exact same idea as her.

It’s easy with boys. Just name them Adolf and you can pretty much rest assured they’ll never meet anyone with the same first name.

Same experience here. I chose Jessica because I liked it in full or the shortened versions, and I knew only one other (an elderly lady). As I said goodbye to the nurses in the maternity ward, the Sister asked what I’d all her. Her response was “Ooh, we hadn’t had one of those in years, but you’re the third this week”. So I guess I was warned, but it had stuck by then.