Back in Parking

Why do some places not allow back in parking? My friend was given a ticket for $5 for backing in here at school. There has to be some reason. Thanks in advance!

Backing in towards the pedestrian area might endanger children who have strayed off the kerb a little?

Well, you have to back one time or another in most partking spots. The children could also be behind you when you back out.

Which is more likely though - children stepping off the footpath, or chuildren strolling in the traffic lane?

My Dad was cited for back in parking many years ago in Pittsburgh. The sign was slightly larger than a postage stamp, and the justification was that tailpipe exhaust wasn’t good for flowers in the beds.

The reason I was given at my university is that it takes too much time for the meter maid/student ticket writer writing the parking tickets to walk around your car to get the plate number. As it is now, they just check for the correct color of parking permit and if a ticket is needed, your plate is right there.

More likely on the sidewalk of course but I don’t think that’s too relevant. Anyway, from other posts it sounds like there might be many reasons, non of them too sensible.

I’m with Cub Mistress. When I was in college the university had different colored zones and you essentially had to have a parking permit of the same color to park in that lot. The parking permit was a sticker that went on your bumper or rear window, so if you backed in, they couldn’t see your permit, and just assumed you were illegally parked and gave you a ticket.

Are you in a state with no front license plate?

I ask because it reminds me of when I drove through Fort Hood in November. It used to be a completely open fort, but obvious reasons there’s a LOT of security to get in, out, and around.

We were there with our Michigan car on the way back from south of the border, and every, single time we stopped at a checkpoint, the MP would walk from my driver’s door to the front of the car, shake his head, and have to walk around to the back of the car. Michigan has no front plates (this was ostensibly done for budgetary reasons, but I secretly know it was just to make our cars look better than your cars.).

I should have been a little more specific. These parking spaces are not on the street or near any flowers or such. The spots are perpendicular spots on the very top of a parking garage. Also, the state I am in does have front and rear license plactes and the parking permits that the school issues are meant to hang from your rear-view mirror. Thanks for all the posts guys!

I don’t have anything to add except to say that at work, back in parking is compulsory.

It makes for an easier getaway if our oil rig decides to explode :eek:

Clearly a different situation but I could see where that would be a very good idea!

In Canada, I have often seen the “No backing in” restriction. But Canadian parking spots often have electrical plugs mounted on the end of a conduit pipe coming out of the concrete. It would be easier to damage those when backing in.

(some of you probably wonder why we’d go to the trouble of providing electricity to millions of parking spots)

I’d go for back-in there, and maybe leave the motor running too.

Elsewhere, that’s another argument against backing in - it makes it too easy for the hotrodders to get a quick start.

engine block heaters, of course=)

I always back in.

Particularly in busy parking lots, I find it so much easier to drive forward rather than back out of the spot.

My thinking is that when you find the spot to park in, you have a situational awareness of any vehicles and pedestrians in your vicinity and that you can factor in these ‘knowns’ as you back into your spot.

If you nose into the spot, you’re faced with reversing into the aisle. You usually cannot see at the same time all of the potential areas that may contain obstacles. You have to watch for cars coming from both directions, people (big and small with varying degrees of mobility and savvy), and the fenders of the cars on either side of you. There is some luck and faith that are employed every time you are not paying attention to one of these areas and you can’t pay attention to all of them at the same time.

There may be some lots that demand that you nose in, in which case I’ll follow the herd. And K364, I am all too aware of why the outlets exist and I will nose in during those times of the year. All things being equal, however, I back in every time.

My high school had the same rule as yours, rayray, and the school’s resource officer (on-campus cop) told us that it was so whichever administrator was acting as parking-lot Nazi that day wouldn’t have to walk around a whole car.

Okay Canadian guys… I’ve only ever been to temperate Canada, i.e., southern Ontario, so I imagine they have about the same need for engine block heaters as we do in Michigan. Meaning, of course, I’ve never seen these millions of electrical outlets for engine block heaters. So a couple of questions:

Who pays for the electricity? Heaters are a big, resistive load (i.e., high consumption). Is this a public service? Or only available in paid lots?

And what about big, superstore or mall types of lots? They have outlets too? Mounted on a post, or facing up embedded in the asphalt? If the latter, how are the spots plowed? The water doesn’t short the outlets?

The plugs are always on posts, unless there’s a wall handy, and they’re pretty much only in private lots where people are expected to be around for more than a few hours. Most larger workplaces have them for employees, but not for customers.

Many people also have interior warmers to keep frost off the windows. My sister can see her parking spot from her apartment and has a remote starter so she can come home, leave the heater/defroster on full when she shuts down, and come out to a warm car in the morning.

I should have specified that she lives in Regina, which has winters that can freeze your face off in minutes. No joke!