Backlash if CA Prop 8 passes?

I heard on the news last night that MA will vote today to possibly repeal the state income tax. The news report went on to say that this issue has been voted on several times in MA, but they (the pollsters, I assume) predict it will pass this time.

My question is: If CA Prop 8 passes, is that the end of the issue forever and ever? Can it ever be brought back up for a vote, say in 20 years or so?

Also, I’ve heard from several of my “no on 8” friends that even if it does pass, there will be a some backlash.

Hopefully, it will not pass. This morning, while in line to vote, I overheard a lady talking to her friend about “protecting marriage” and she had the nerve to say that the purpose of marriage was to pro-create. I guess in her view, if you don’t plan on having children, then you shouldn’t get married.

I thought about posting this in GQ, but I don’t think there’s a definitive answer to my question. Mods, please move if not appropriate for this forum.

Eric

AFAIK, if Prop 8 is defeated, its supporters can bring it back at the next election, but they’ll need to start at Square One - collecting signatures to get onto the ballot, plus needing to raise another $30 million or whatever it was that they’ve spent on advertising. That’s not exactly chump change.

I need to poke Mark Leno about what it would take to change the vote needed to alter the state constitution from a simple majority to a supermajority such as 67%, and also perhaps to enact controls on out of state influence.

Only off by a factor of 10. There’s nothing that prevents them from putting it on the ballot for the next general election. I would guess that, regardless of whether Prop 8 passes or fails, we’ll be voting on this issue at every election for some time.

It only takes a 50% vote to amend the CA Constitution, so presumably if you could convince 50% of people that we should require 60%, or 2/3, or whatever, you could get that passed (and make it much harder to get it changed back).

In California, if you can get the signatures, you can put anything on the ballot as many times as you want. As an example, today’s ballot also contains Prop 4, which is the third attempt in four years to require parental notification for minor abortions. It gets voted down, the supporters just circulate new petitions and get it on the next state wide ballot.

I predict that regardless of which way Prop 8 goes, the losing side will have something on the ballot by June 2010, the next scheduled state-wide election (gubernatorial and midterm congressional primaries). If it fails, they’ll just try again. The only way it’ll stop is if (a) one side wins a decisive victory, say 65% or more, meaning further attempts at the initiative process are likely to be a waste of time and money or (b) the US Supreme Court issues a same-sex marriage equivalant to the Loving v. Virginia decision, thereby superceding any state laws and making the initiative processes useless.