Bacon, or sausage?

I like the scene near the beginning of From Here to Eternity (the novel) when Prewitt goes off the army base and savors a plate of well-prepared ham and eggs.

That said, I’ve never ordered ham with my breakfast eggs. And now that the poll is heavily favoring bacon over sausages, I am very disappointed. Very, very disappointed with you all.

You’ve never been to Crazy Otto’s.

Bacon. Sausage is ok. Bacon crisps and then melts in the mouth.

I got bacon twice on Mother’s Day and sausage only once :wink:

Sausage. Definitely.

But what cooking smell would I rather wake up to? Bacon, definitely. So I’ll smell the bacon but choose the sausage.

We went there for the first (and so far only) time after touring Edwards AFB! The one in Rosamond.

“Whole omelette, $11.99. Half omelette, $10.99.” Is this a thing, now?

“I guess I’ll have the whole omelette. It’s worth the extra buck to watch you throw half of it in the garbage.”

Dad and I lived in Lancaster, so we ate there regularly. When I moved away they only had two locations; one on Ave. K and 20th St. W., and the other on Ave I. I have not been to the newer locations. The one on K & 20th is the ‘original’ Crazy Otto’s. It moved there after the Northridge quake forced them to move from their location next to the tracks, for Metrorail expansion. IMO, the K & 20th location has the better food. They serve(d) hashbrowns and the Ave. I location serve(s/d) home fries. I remember Otto reminded me of Poopdeck Pappy. :stuck_out_tongue:

They’re known for their big breakfasts. When we ate there in the early-tomid-'70s you’d get three eggs, the hashbrowns were about 5" x 8", and the thick, bone-in ham steak covered half the large oval platter. By the time I moved away in the '90s, they cut back to two eggs and i think the ham steaks were a little smaller. You don’t go to Crazy Otto’s if you’re just a little bit peckish. :wink:

A bacon wrapped hotdog is killer good, perhaps even literally.

In order of preference: breakfast links, ‘tube’ patties, precooked patties (think fast food breakfast sandwiches), bacon.

I often pick up some fresh breakfast links when I plan to grill. They cook quickly and I munch on them while preparing the ‘main event’ dishes. They’re pretty good smoked, too.

The precooked patties are always in my freezer. They make for an easy meal: toss the patty into a skillet to brown a bit, add some chopped onion to cook a little in the sausage grease, crack an egg over the cooked onion.

If I go out for breakfast, then it is sausage. On the other hand, bacon is perfect in a BLT. On the other hand crumbled sausage on a Papa Del’s thick crust pizza in a pan is exquisite. On the other hand bacon is perfect with my sunny side up eggs.