In trying to lose weight, but not wanting to give up the taste, nutrition, and generally filling feeling of meat products, we are settling in to a lot of baked chicken and fish. I’m good on fish prep, and no worry about our choices getting stale any time soon. However, we’re starting to get sick of our regular chicken choices.
- Low-cal Italian dressing, just squirt over the chicken and bake. One of the healthiest choices, decent flavor. The only thing it really has going against it is sodium.
- Old Bay seasoning, sprinkled on top and bake. Full of flavor, but even more sodium.
- Lemon juice and pepper. We don’t make it that much, just because it’s not that interesting, though it’s probably the healthiest.
- Parmesan/garlic powder rub. Processed sprinkle-from-the-can Parmesan. This has to be one of the worst of our healthy preps, and we’re trying to step away.
- Barbecue sauce. Not the easiest on the calories, plenty of sugars, good dose of sodium. Not the healthiest choice, and we don’t do it much.
So, I’m looking for other options. Preferred criteria:
-It should be healthy.
-It will require relatively few ingredients and a short prep time.
-It provides a decent flavor.
-It scale down nicely to one chicken breast (which gets split between two of us)