Baker's Dozen II (Part 1)

What Are You Reading At The Moment?

1. Unfamiliar Fishes by Sarah Vowell
  2. A Carnival of Snackery by David Sedaris
  3. I Know Better Now: My Life Before, During and After the Ramones by Richie Ramone with Peter Aaron
  4. Hamnet by Maggie O’Farrell
  5. Zoe’s Tale by John Scalzi
  6. The Deserters by Luke Short
  7. Smoke by Donald E. Westlake
  8. Ocean Prey by John Sandford
  9. From Here to Eternity: Traveling the World to Find the Good Death by Caitlin Doughty
  10. Going Postal by Terry Pratchett

Actually, re-reading it. It’s a hard-bound (British) first edition that my lady friend (who introduced to the Discworld) gave to me, and that I was later able to get autographed and inscribed to me by Sir Terry himself.

I’m doing this to delay the inevitable … I also have a copy of his penultimate Discworld novel, Raising Steam, and I realize that once I read it that there will be no more forthcoming.

-“BB”-

3. I Know Better Now: My Life Before, During and After the Ramones by Richie Ramone with Peter Aaron
  9. From Here to Eternity: Traveling the World to Find the Good Death by Caitlin Doughty
  11. The Day of Battle: The War in Sicily and Italy, 1943-1944 by Rick Atkinson

The Liberation Trilogy, Volume II

12. Master and Commander - Patrick O’brian

12. Master and Commander - Patrick O’Brian
  13. Star Trek: The New Voyages - ed. by Sondra Marshak and Myrna Culbreath

A 1976 collection of fanfic short stories. Three, in particular, are very good.

Next up:

What’s next on your reading list, and why?

1. Shattered Sword: The Untold Story of the Battle of Midway by Anthony P. Tully and Jonathan Parshall. I’m interested in learning more about the momentous 1942 naval battle and have heard good things about this book.

1. Shattered Sword: The Untold Story of the Battle of Midway by Anthony P. Tully and Jonathan Parshall. I’m interested in learning more about the momentous 1942 naval battle and have heard good things about this book.
  2. Don Quixote by Miguel Cervantes. Because it’s a classic and I haven’t read it yet. I always read at least one book of classic literature over the summer.

2. Don Quixote by Miguel Cervantes. Because it’s a classic and I haven’t read it yet. I always read at least one book of classic literature over the summer.
  3. Leaders Eat Last by Simon Sinek. I got this for free at a work event and I’ve been putting off reading it.

3. Leaders Eat Last by Simon Sinek. I got this for free at a work event and I’ve been putting off reading it.
  4. Redshirts by John Scalzi.

Several senior officers of the Intrepid, flagship of the Universal Union, lament the unusually high number of casualties of low-ranking crew members during recent away missions and conclude that they will need more crewmen to replace them. The Intrepid takes on five new ensigns including Andrew Dahl, an expert in alien religions and xenobiology. Dahl quickly discerns that the crew is extremely phobic of being near the senior officers and of going on away missions due to their high fatality rate. Over the course of several missions, various crew members suggest that the deaths are due to incompetence, superstition, or cosmic forces, requiring ‘sacrifices’ of some crew members so that others will survive.

After several close calls, Dahl meets Jenkins, a crew member who offers a different theory: their reality and timeline are under periodic influence of a badly written television show from the past. As the writers create the plot, characters’ free will temporarily ceases in order to progress ‘the Narrative’ of the show. This is why otherwise good officers are occasionally incompetent, ensigns make poor decisions, and the ship has mysterious technology on board to produce last-minute inventions and medicines which would otherwise be impossible to produce. Jenkins explains that Dahl and the other ensigns’ routine duties and colorful histories will inevitably make them targets of ‘the narrative’ when the writers need ‘glorified extras’ to kill for emotional impact.

Sounds like a delightful rip-off of several ‘Star Trek’ tropes, and the concept of ‘The Narrative’ running the whole show is reminiscent of Terry Pratchett’s Witches Abroad. I think I’m going to enjoy it.

-“BB”-

Redshirts is fun, especially the ending.

5. We Keep the Dead Close by Becky Cooper. I gave a friend the opportunity to choose the subject for my next book, forgetting that she’s a big horror movie/gore fan, and she wanted something with terror and blood. I had this book, a true crime story about an unsolved murder at Harvard University, on my reading list.

5. We Keep the Dead Close by Becky Cooper. I gave a friend the opportunity to choose the subject for my next book, forgetting that she’s a big horror movie/gore fan, and she wanted something with terror and blood. I had this book, a true crime story about an unsolved murder at Harvard University, on my reading list.
  6. Silver Star by Jeannette Walls. After reading her The Glass Castle recently I wanted to read more of her work.

I liked Scalzi’s Redshirts very much, too. Every Trekker should read it, and I found the ending oddly touching.

6. Silver Star by Jeannette Walls. After reading her The Glass Castle recently I wanted to read more of her work.
  7. In the Company of Men: A Woman at The Citadel by Nancy Mace. I’ve always loved Pat Conroy’s novel The Lords of Discipline, loosely based on his experiences during the desegregation of The Citadel military academy, and recently learned about this memoir by a future Congresswoman about her challenging years as one of the first female cadets there.

7. In the Company of Men: A Woman at The Citadel by Nancy Mace. I’ve always loved Pat Conroy’s novel The Lords of Discipline , loosely based on his experiences during the desegregation of The Citadel military academy, and recently learned about this memoir by a future Congresswoman about her challenging years as one of the first female cadets there.
  8. Mountains Beyond Mountains: The Quest of Dr. Paul Farmer, A Man Who Would Cure the World, by Tracy Kidder

I just read an article about Dr Paul Farmer, who died in February age 62, too early. He sounded like a person who was really making a difference, and I want to know more.

From the NY Times obit:
"Dr. Anthony S. Fauci . . . broke down in tears during an interview, in which he said he and Dr. Farmer had been like “soul brothers.”

“When you talk about iconic giants in the field of public health, he stands pretty much among a very, very short list of people,” said Dr. Fauci, who first met Dr. Farmer decades ago, when Dr. Farmer was a medical student. He added, “He called me his mentor, but in reality he was more of a mentor to me.”

7. In the Company of Men: A Woman at The Citadel by Nancy Mace. I’ve always loved Pat Conroy’s novel The Lords of Discipline , loosely based on his experiences during the desegregation of The Citadel military academy, and recently learned about this memoir by a future Congresswoman about her challenging years as one of the first female cadets there.
  8. Mountains Beyond Mountains: The Quest of Dr. Paul Farmer, A Man Who Would Cure the World , by Tracy Kidder
  9. Men from Earth, by Buzz Aldrin. I want to read his account of landing on the Moon.

[quote=“Spoons, post:9176, topic:846938, full:true”]

8. Mountains Beyond Mountains: The Quest of Dr. Paul Farmer, A Man Who Would Cure the World , by Tracy Kidder
  9. Men from Earth , by Buzz Aldrin. I want to read his account of landing on the Moon.
  10. Silverview by John Le Carré. It’s the author’s ‘last’ book, completed in 2014 and published posthumously after his 2020 death. He requested it be released after he died, although he published three books in the interim. That fact alone piqued my interest.

9. Men from Earth , by Buzz Aldrin. I want to read his account of landing on the Moon.
  10. Silverview by John Le Carré. It’s the author’s ‘last’ book, completed in 2014 and published posthumously after his 2020 death. He requested it be released after he died, although he published three books in the interim. That fact alone piqued my interest.
  11. Sixth Column by Robert A. Heinlein - I read it in my teens and liked it; I’ll be interested to see how it holds up

11. Sixth Column by Robert A. Heinlein - I read it in my teens and liked it; I’ll be interested to see how it holds up
  12. Nights at the Circus by Angela Carter. She won lots of awards, including for this book, and I’ve never read any of her work.

12. Nights at the Circus by Angela Carter. She won lots of awards, including for this book, and I’ve never read any of her work.
  13. Post Captain by Patrick O’Brian. I decided recently to re-read the entire Aubrey - Maturin series and this one happens to be next.

Rural life

1. Growing crops

Rural life

1. Growing crops
  2. Milking a cow

Rural life

1. Growing crops
  2. Milking a cow
  3. Swatting insects

Rural life

1. Growing crops
  2. Milking a cow