Band members who hate each other

I’ve always wondered how two people could be in the same band, play together, write great music, etc. and yet despise each other. Must be very awkward.

Joey and Johnny Ramone come to mind. IIRC, they didn’t speak to each other for 20 years.

Anyone else?

Dave and Ray Davies certainly had their conflicts.

And Dave Davies and Mick Avory couldn’t get along to the point where Mick left (or was kicked out of) the Kinks.

Stan Getz and Joao Gilberto. Getz had an affair with Gilberto’s wife, but they were under contract to make recordings. Gilberto refused to appear on stage with Getz, however. Their music was astounding.

I don’t think McCartney and Lennon got along well towards the end.

There was not a lot of good feeling going on with Fleetwood Mac, either.

It seems Barry and Robin Gibb did not get along well at all. Barry says they managed to reconcile shortly before Robin died, but were estranged for many years.

Roger Waters and David Gilmour of Pink Floyd.

Weren’t Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel estranged for many years?

Ginger Baker was not well-loved by his former Cream mates. He had convinced Jack Bruce to quit the Graham Bond Organisation at knifepoint, only for the two to end up together again in Cream. I just learned from the documentary Beware of Mr. Baker that Eric Clapton had not intended to continue working with Baker after Cream, and was dismayed when Baker insinuated himself into Blind Faith, simply showing up for rehearsals uninvited.

Pete Townshend’s (sometimes physical) battles with Roger Daltrey are legendary, but that relationship is more love-hate.

The Mamas and the Papas had all sorts of conflicts: Cass had a crush on Denny and felt betrayed when he had an affair with Michelle, who was married to John at the time. Michelle stayed away from the others for years.

Jon Anderson has long had a hot-and-cold relationship with his fellow Yes-men. The last I heard, he was peeved that they got the lead singer of a Yes tribute band to be their lead singer because he was having voice problems.

Axl Rose and Slash

I don’t think Oasis front men Noel and Liam Gallagher have always been filled with brotherly love.

Everybody hated Blackmore.

Styx kicked their founder and leader out of the band at least a couple of times.

I read in some book or other that Keith didn’t speak directly to Bill Wyman for eleven years. I found it rather hard to believe, and offer it here for dissection and debunking.

I think it would probably be easier to list the bands whose members got along well.

Mumford & Sons. For now.

Ladies and Gentleman - THE BEACH BOYS! Between crazy, drugs, and Mike Love there are a lot of issues there.

The boys from Boston, a la Aerosmith, certainly had a hard road to hoe between Steven and Joe. It even broke the band up on more than one occasion, me thinks.

The Clash. Topper Headon was kicked out of the band because of his heroin addiction. Conflict between Joe Strummer and Mick Jones then led to Jones being fired and replaced in 1983. The band officially broke up in 1986.

Yeah - if I remember correctly, “So Long, Frank Lloyd Wright” (which happens to be, in my opinion, the most godawful song S&G ever wrote, but anyway . . .) was a song that Simon wrote about Garfunkel - “all of the nights we’d harmonize 'till dawn” - without actually telling him. This led to the rather cruel situation of Garfunkel obliviously singing a song all about how he was about to be dumped to packed concerts. On the other hand, I can understand why Paul Simon got fed up with the partnership, as the workload wasn’t exactly 50/50.