Band members who hate each other

That wasn’t a Henley/Walsh feud–that was Leary saying Don Henley should shut the hell up about the environment and stick to playing music, that’s all.

Glenn Frey and Don Felder supposedly nearly came to blows before the Eagles broke up in 1980, though. And Felder was fired from the band in 2001 and lawsuits ensued.

Not a lot of love between Frank Zappa and the other members of the original Mothers of Invention

Yeah, there was definitely context given, but I don’t think it was about the environment. I think the lead-in was something like “Don Henley is on record as saying that kids should not do drugs.”

ETA: no, that was Keith Richards. Maybe you’re right about the environment.

In the 90s I had a friend working for a record label who got me backstage a number of times. One night we saw Alabama perform and there was tension. Apparently Randy Owen wanted to change the band’s name to Randy Owen and Alabama. The rest of the band disagreed. Randy had a solo dressing room that night and was sitting alone in it. The rest of the band had a party going in the other dressing room.

I keep reading this thread title as “Board members who hate each other”. There’s a fantastic Pit thread in there somewhere…

Which reminds me of one of my all-time favourite backstage clips: Sting and Copeland were being interviewed by a VJ at one of their Toronto Police Picnic festivals in the early '80s at the height of their superstardom. Sting’s ego was already super-sized and when he starts bloviating in response to a question, you can see Copeland roll his eyes, sigh and then after a beat, throw his drink right in Sting’s face. He then bolted off-camera chased by Sting who had an absolutely murderous look in his eyes.

Pure comedy gold.

That doesn’t make a lot of sense. He wanted to change the name of country music’s biggest band, several years after the height of their popularity? That’s a bit hard to swallow.

If it’s the same clip I’m thinking of (although it wouldn’t surprise me if there were more than one such incident!), you omitted the funniest part. As I recall it, it was an interview with the whole band. Sting says something, Stuart throws a drink in his face, they both curse at each other and race off-camera…

And poor Andy Summers is left sitting there by himself, with a “WTF-just-happened” expression on his face.

Yeah, I don’t know how to prove it. I was there that night and the dressing room thing was obviously weird. My RCA/BMG friend walked me into Randy’s room to say hi. He was polite. Then we went into the other (band) dressing room and had fun. I asked her what was up and she took me aside and told me.

I’m surprised no one has mentioned the Sex Pistols yet. Bassist Glen Matlock was ousted largely due to tension between him and Johnny Rotten. Matlock’s replacement, Sid Vicious, ended up himself causing tension and hard feelings within the group. And of course, Rotten and manager Malcolm McLaren were famously at each other’s throats for the entire existence of the group.

I’ve talked to some of the people who worked with Simon on his Broadway musical Capeman, and apparently the man has one of the biggest egos on the planet. Thinks he’s the second Mozart.

I’m amazed Garfunkel put up with him for so many years.

I’ve read the Brian Wilson hated his brother Dennis who wax better looking, got more girls, and could actually surf.

Metallica’s management hired Phil Towle as a performance enhancement coach, but he also served as a mediator between feuding members.

I have heard that Wyman grew disenchanted with others in the band and only stayed because of the money.

Somewhere I read that in the early days, Roger Daltrey bullied all the other members of the Who so badly that John and Pete gave him an ultimatum: that Pete was now the leader of the band and if Roger didn’t like it, he was out. Daltrey made the wise decision to stay and stop bullying the others.

There was a lot of tension between Grace Slick/Paul Kantner vs Jorma Koukonen/Jack Cassidy of the Jefferson Airplane.

Stephen Stills and Neil Young had some serious conflicts when they both were members of Buffalo Springfield. People were amazed when Crosby, Stills & Nash added Young to the band, but it seemed to work out.

Really? You can’t think of a few reasons why Art Garfunkel put up with Paul Simon (assuming he’s as difficult as your friends say)?

I really don’t think Brian Wilson gave a rats ass about not being able to surf. It’s not like he couldn’t have tried if he wanted to, or that Dennis was even very good at it to begin with. That’s the first time I’ve heard that Brian “hated” his brother and I have a hard time believing it.

Not just Annie-Xmas’ friends. From what I’ve read over the years, Simon can be a very difficult person to deal with, both personally and professionally.

4- More Drugs

Simon and Garfunkel were boyhood friends. I’m guessing it’s a bit overblown to say they ever hated each other, even if they did tire of the partnership, egos, etc… Paul Simon is an astounding song writer, composer, arranger, musician, etc. But Art Garfunkel was an incredibly talented singer. I’d say they both made out pretty well with the collaboration, benefiting from the others talents.

Ron Torkelson was apparently not well liked by the rest of Armada. Even Herman Menderchuk.