Bands that formed in the 60s or earlier whose founding members are all still alive

Zager & Evans. Totally underappreciated, groundbreaking psychedelic duo that was totally before its time. There’s stuff on Exordium and Terminus that sounds like it could have been on Todd Rundgren’s A Wizard, A True Star but preceded it by a good four years.

███** SIT NOMINE DIGNA **███

Like by 556 years? :cool:

Indeed. All of their albums, by the way, can be listened to here.

(Why does LP version of “Mr. Turnkey” have little Moog synthesizer riffs, but not the single version?)

███** SIT NOMINE DIGNA **███

Carl Wilson died in 1998.

The Hollies.

BTO

I thought Theodore died in Vietnam?

1970 is technically the last year of the 1960s.

Are duos “bands”? If so, there’s Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel. Also, their idols, Phil and Don Everly.

Sure. And technically a week is eight days long. It’s just that most people in the world think a week is only seven days long.

While a couple of people who played in early line-ups (and down) of Gong have died, I’m not sure any of the original members are dead. Incredibly, Gilli Smyth is 76 and still performing - I only found out recently she was so venerable.

Slade, baby, Slade. All four of them still alive.

Status Quo appear to all be still alive, with the group’s roots going back to 1962.

The members of ABBA first met up in the 1960’s and Anni-Frid, Benny, Bjorn and Agnetha are all still alive.

I have got to disagree. I’m listening to Exordium+Terminus, and, IMO, it is ghastly MOR. I hope I never have to listen to ‘I Remember Heidi’ ever again. I’d rather have chocolate eclairs stuffed up my bum than to have to suffer that again.

Oh, dear god, they’ve moved on to a song about Fred. Roughly the same tune as ‘2525’, but with appalling lyrics.

Please tell me it gets better, because I can’t listen to any more.

Please fight my ignorance, on both the week techinically being eight days long* and the sixties ending in 1970**.

*Is a year, then, techinically 416 days long, or are there technically on 45.5 weeks in a non-leap year?

** Only if you don’t count 1960-1961 as the sixties, but why would you do that, since the number of year is “60”?

Missed edit window to add: ETA - Ok, got it on decades, no year zero (still, it seems when referencing a time period, such as the 60’s, this shouldn’t come into play - then again charting this sort of thing based on strict time periods is pretty arbitrary to begin with), but the eight days of the week thing appears to have only been symbolic in the western world; so, no, a week is not “techinically” eight days long, Even though there once was the observance of a symbollic eighth day, it was in reality, the first day of the next week.

I was commenting ironically on the absurdity of pendantic claims that the sixties ran from 1961 to 1970 (and by extension the equally wrong claim that the 20th century ended on December 31, 2000). Concepts like weeks and decades and centuries are social constructs - they mean whatever the consensus of society says they do. Why does a week equal seven days? Because people think it does - and as long as they think it does then a week does equal seven days. You can’t argue that the belief is wrong or illogical - it’s self-fulfilling. The sixties ran from 1960 to 1969 because that’s what most people think.

Incidentally, the ancient Romans did in fact use an eight day week. So I suppose there’s somebody out there who’s arguing that a week was established as eight days and no later reform can make it seven days.

I think we pretty much agree on this