Bands with the most material, known only for one song

That may be their most popular song, but I wouldn’t say that they are “known only for” that song. They are known for so much more. I think one hit wonder bands with lots of other material fit in better with what you’re asking for.

Not in my neck of the woods. They are more well known for a lot of songs before that one - “Limelight”, “Red Barchetta”, “Fly by Night”, “Closer to the Heart”, etc.

^Ditto here. I know all those (plus “Working Man”, “YYZ,” “Spirit of Radio”) , but didn’t hear “The Trees” until a few years ago, playing one of those Rock Band or Guitar Hero games. I hate to say this, but maybe I just didn’t pay much attention to Rush lyrics before, but the lyrics just cracked me up. Maybe if I had heard it in my teenaged years, they wouldn’t seem so corny and hamfisted. I didn’t realize that it was a much beloved Rush song until later, when I was talking about this song to some Rush fans.

Spirit of Radio.

22 studio albums for Motörhead, but I only ever hear “Ace of Spades” - don’t know if it’s different in the UK where they had actual chart hits

(That’s crazy about Saga - I had assumed they split up decades ago!)

Al Stewart. A huge amount of fascinating and beautiful work, but he’s known primarily for Year Of The Cat and Time Passages.

Saturday in the Park
Color My World
Beginnings
Wishing You Were Here
Hard to Say I’m Sorry
If You Leave Me Now
Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is
You’re the Inspiration

I was a huge fan! I still love them!

KISS maybe? “Rock and Roll All Night” is almost their only song on the radio…maybe once in a blue moon you might hear “Beth”…

Chumbawamba, known for Tubthumping, released sixteen albums.

They Might Be Giants, known in America for Istanbul (Not Constantinople) and in the rest of the world for Birdhouse In Your Soul, have nineteen albums.

Rennaisance - 13 Studio albums plus live albums and various collections, but you will only know them from

Northern Lights

There will probably be some unexpected muso around here who know this other one from them

Their other stuff is well worth a listen- Annie Haslam has a great voice

How about Steely Dan? They had quite a few singles, but I’ll bet most folk know them from only 2 tracks, ‘Reelin’ in the years’, and ‘Ricki don’t lose that number’

I remember hearing that one back in the old days, good times I remember, fun days, filled with simple pleasure.

I’m addicted to them, baby. They’re a hard habit to break. :wink:

Steely Dan has a whole bunch of songs that get regularly played on Classic Rock stations -

Peg
Deacon Blues
Black Friday
Do It Again
Kid Charlemagne

Deep Purple - 20 albums (according to Wikipedia) but do any non-metalheads know anything besides Smoke on the Water?

Meh. They started to slide from rock to pop after Chicago V, and completely jumped the shark when Terry Kath died.

How about Los Lobos, with La Bamba?

I’d say “Cross-eyed Mary” would be mentioned just as much but after that…

My nomination would be The Scorpions

53 years, 18 albums… some may know “Wind of Change” but everyone knows “Rock You Like a Hurricane”…
… put me down as another “The Trees”!?
One of my favorites but I don’t even think it would even be a close 10th

How about Hush, Highway Star, Woman from Tokyo, and their cover of Kentucky Woman?

Yeah, it’s a parable, but it’s a little heavy-handed.

A while back I heard them playing it on Sirius XM, and after the song the DJ comes on to announce it and he calls it “their statement on the environment.” And I was practically screaming at the radio “No, you idiot! That’s not even close to what it’s about!” :smack:

But you left out their best single, Feeling Stronger Every Day.

I’d say they jumped the shark when Diane Warren started writing their songs and Pete Cetera left the group. As always, YMMV.

Who knew Procul Harum were still around? And how many people can name a song by them besides A Whiter Shade of Pale?