Bands with the most material, known only for one song

Without cheating, the only one that comes to mind is “Conquistador.”

Maybe Emerson, Lake, and Palmer? Classic rock radio seems to only play Lucky Man or the second half of Karn Evil 9, first impression. The average person will only know, “Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends…”

Motörhead’s “Ace of Spades” is probably the best suggestion I’ve seen here so far. Almost everyone knows Motörhead and Lemmy Kilmister, but most don’t know them for anything other than “Ace of Spades.”

“Aqualung” was never released as a single, so I don’t know how familiar it is to those who did not grow up listening to 70s FM radio. “Bungle in the Jungle” and “Living in the Past” were Tull’s most successful singles in the US and got significant play time on AM radio.

I see what you did there, :blush:!

Agree, their old stuff is their best work.

Yes, how’d I miss that!

I agree; that might be the best mention yet. Also Gary Numan and Chumbawamba.

Love Locomotive Breath

“doom-bo-bo… chick… chika-chika”

Some people know it as “that song from Ferris Bueller’s Day Off” and it’s been used in plenty of movies and ads.
The 1985 hit “Oh Yeah” by the Swiss duo Yello who have put out 13 studio albums between 1980-2016.

The problem with entries like this, is that the band isn’t really a “known” one.

Also “Detroit Rock City”.

Edgar Winter put out 20 or so albums, but is really only known for “Frankenstein” (and maybe “Free Ride”).

Does KMFDM count? I’m a big fan, but I think Juke Joint Jezebel is their only hit. Their 20th album drops soon.

In the UK the biggest Rush hit singles were probably **Spirit of The Radio **and New World Man. However, although they may not recognise the actual music, many would associate 2112 with the band.

For me the most famous Yes song is probably Wonderous Stories although I would recognise Owner of A Lonely Heart.

Gary Numan and Tubeway Army are pretty interchangeable (Gary Numan fronted Tubeway Army and kept the same musicians for his original solo recordings) so in the UK he is just as well known for Are Friends Electric? as well as Cars and several other hit singles.

I nominate Blue Oyster Cult and Don’t Fear The Reaper.

TCMF-2L

That’s certainly their biggest hit, but Godzilla and Burning For You get a fair amount of airplay still.

Their Wiki page says they’ve been around since 1985, with 10 studio albums, some live albums, almost 40 singles and over 100 million records sold worldwide :eek:; but in America, at least, A-Ha = “Take On Me” – period, end of sentence.
And no idea where the OP is from, but “The Trees” can’t possibly be Rush’s 2nd best-known song. Not in America, anyway. I doubt it’s in their top 20 here.

Me too, but it sounds like a rock version of The Work Song.

Chris Isaak has recorded a dozen album and plenty of great songs, but most people only know him for Wicked Game.

My old drummer, a Brit, produced one of their last albums before the guitarist, I think, left. He said it was bizarre hearing them discuss the tour they were planning behind the album because they were discussing huge shows and he kept thinking “where?” but realized how huge they were is parts of Europe and Asia.

Alessan - yeah, I thought of Isaak, but am such a big fan, I couldn’t bring myself to list him :wink: his first four albums are just amazing.

Seriously? I can think of a dozen hit songs of theirs. And I never bought their albums; I’m talking about songs I remember because they got a lot of play on the radio when I was in high school and college.

The band that came to mind when I saw this thread was “Yes”. I only know two songs they did. I can think of a lot of one-hit bands, but I have no idea if they had a large body of work.