Bands you ought to abhor but like

I’m not sure if i should say this in public…but i like the backstreet boys. theyre the only boy band i like… i promise :slight_smile:
I think i am allowed to like them, thogu, considering I am a teenage girl.

Her Majesty: Nothing wrong with that, we all have our dark sides. :slight_smile:

As for me, I once professed that I did like one or two Green Day songs. For which my Brother and Best Friend promptly fainted. (well… almost.)

I think the term ‘band’ should be used very loosely for these!

Steps
S-Club 7
Backstreet Boys

runs off and hides before anyone can laugh

Backstreet Boys
Christina Aguilera (but just a little bit, I swear-- she’s got that bad-girl wannabe image going on!)

And I have been known to listen to, and enjoy, many things by Abba.

(timidly pops head in) the Bee Gees! (runs like hell)

As a grown up buttrocker, I’m supposed to disavow all knowledge of Poison and Warrant, but I still listen to them. And Skid Row rocked.

I also like Christina Aguliera. Wow, she has an awesome voice. When she can no longer sell the underage girl image, I want her to lead my Marilyn Manson/White Zombie type band. It would make soooo much money.

I know they’re evil but: The Backstreet Boys. I have yet to convince myself to buy any of their albums, but I admit to stopping everything when I hear them on the radio. So shoot me.

Also: The Partridge Family (only during the summer)
Linda Ronstadt and Aaron Neville at their most syrupy sweet
Journey
Boston
Is it okay to like Jimmy Buffet?
The Rutles (no, wait–they’re really good)

Oh, that’s mean. Damn funny, though.

Since I admitted NKOTB, I may as well continue.
98°
Weird Al
Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch
Chumbawumba
Green Day
The Offspring
Journey
Steve Perry
REO Speedwagon
Def Leppard
Marilyn Manson
Korn

Marilyn Manson
Eminem
Cat Stevens
Since I’m atheist:
Jars of Clay
Dc Talk

It has to be Iron Maiden - I used to like them in my early teen years, and then was turned off them by a variety of things, including everyone telling me they were uncool, and them actually releasing about 4 or 5 pretty poor records. Then last year I got their best of and I LOVE it! Big choruses, guitar solos, drama - it always puts a big grin on my face.

And nevermore, how are the Sex Pistols and Velvets bands you’re expected to loathe? They’re both critics favourites (and my faves too).

HenrySpencer.

I would agree with this, although I can’t say that I like them, as I’ve never listened, really. But what has impressed me is just what you said. They write their own stuff, and they are still very young. The Beatles were fairly bubble-gummy (ewww!) when they started out, and look where they ended up (that’s the only comparison I’m making here; Falcon, quit throwing stuff!). I’m really interested to see what they’ll be doing in 5-10 years.

Pepperlandgirl, PEPPERLANDGIRL, quit throwing stuff…

Somebody on this board who is a Paul McCartney fanatic quit throwing stuff!!

(whew! I don’t think anyone caught me…OW!)

Abba
Dexy’s Midnight Riders (Come on Eileen!!)
John Denver (Everyone teases me about loving his music)
Ace of Base

Oh yeah, my friend Paul and I, we confessed to each other that we both like the song “Bye Bye Bye” by Nsync. VERY scary, since we both listen to heavier music.

And now you’ve got me downloading Sesame Street music! Gaaah! runs and hides

Re the Sex Pistols–
No, I would just expect me to loathe them, because I don’t like music like that in general (fast, driven punk-like rock).
Re Velvet Underground–
I didn’t know critics liked them at all. Everyone I know who loves music (especially those who play music) hates them & will not tolerate my listening to them in their presence. shrug

I also have a weakness for Journey. Once I heard that “When the Lights Go in the city, and the moon shines on the bay” or whatever it is song when I was far away from my adopted San Francisco Bay home and had to pull off the road and have a cry. I was very homesick at the time, you see…

I was a regular “disco sucks” rocker in my youth, but lately some of that disco stuff sounds pretty good. Maybe it just sounds good compared to hip-hop.

Hi, my name is Cindy, and I participate on an a-ha mailing list.

And I don’t embarrass easily.

That takes GUTS to admit when it’s only your 7th post or so. I salute you.

I too, like the Bee-Gee’s.

Hanson, I cant wait for the rock and roll lifestyle. you can really see that 6 yr old drummer found in a motel room with a hooker and an 8-ball.

Ohmygod. You know musicians who will “not tolerate” the Velvet Underground? Where do you live? Mars? Canada?

Seriously, what kind of musicians are they? I don’t mean [indignant shriek]What kind of muSIcians ARE you?!?!?[/indignant shriek]; I mean what do they play, who are their influences?

I’m frankly not a huge fan myself, but I don’t think I know a musician who doesn’t worship them and acknowledge their vital role in the history of modern music.

I won’t bother quoting the same nevermore quote as above, but really - you should drop these “friends” immediately - they are leading you down a terrible path. Maybe one day they will see the error of their ways and you will be able to speak to them again. But in the meantime, stay away - I repeat STAY AWAY - from these negative influences.

Next you’ll say they don’t like Iggy and the Stooges!!!

HenrySpencer