Banksy sidewalk sale - This is one of the funniest & most awesome things I've ever seen!

I love this so hard!

I like it, too- although not as much as I would have liked it if I’d been in the park and unwittingly bought one of his paintings. This is much better than the meat truck thing.

I’ve read a few articles about this. I like how depending on who wrote it, the tone of the article changes from “These idiots turned down the chance to buy an authentic Banksy for only $60” to “Banksy can’t even sell his work for $60.”

Oh man! I am so jealous of those people. I wish I could have bought a couple.

I guess people are not familiar enough with his work to recognize it. Or maybe they never dreamed it was real, just some guy ripping off someone else’s works.

If I would have run across the stall, I would have assumed they were prints or knock-offs. For $60 you wouldn’t think they were real.

That’s kind of the fun. If you came across that stall you probably wouldn’t think it really had anything to do with the guy.

I’d tend towards the latter. If this was not an authentic Banksy artwork, and merely an authentic artwork by some other artist (lets call him Sybank) does anyone believe these would still be worth hundreds of thousands of dollars?

I agree; his previous work has all been on building walls and such, so I wouldn’t expect to find it on canvas. So if I passed this stall, I’d have assumed it was from a random artist, even if I recognized his style.

And I assume the guy sitting there isn’t Banksy.

Plus, from that photo, they all appear to be copies of works I’ve previously seen. Given his previous work was on building sides, assuming they’re prints is pretty logical.

I guess I just don’t see the point. “Haha, I put my old work on a canvas and tried to sell it incognito and you didn’t buy it! How tricky am I?” :dubious:

This would be a good time to get hold of an old guy and a rack of knock-off prints though.

[sneering art critic]“How derivative.”[/s.a.c.]

I assume it’s not- not that we would know one way or the other.

I think you’re assuming the joke is on people who didn’t buy the art. Why can’t it be a joke about the way art is valued and publicized - that a famous artist has trouble selling his own work for $60 if people don’t know who he is?

I heard Banksy entered a Banksy look-alike contest and came in third.

That’s exactly how I interpreted it. And yeah…those Banksy’s weren’t worth $60, because, as the economists are so fond of reminding us, things are only worth what people will pay for them.

The “joke” is that those three Banksy pieces that were barely worth $60 yesterday are worth tens of thousands today. And the only thing that changed is the story about them. So which is the “art” - the paint on the canvas, or the story around it? When we’re paying for the story, what’s the use of the canvas?

I had never heard of this person until now. “World-famous” must be a relative term.

Wonderful.

Banksy seems like a fun guy it would have been hilarious if I had walked by and realized today I didn’t buy a Banksy piece.

Painful, but hilarious.

I hope the lucky 3 people who bought one come out with their story and show their art.

Have you heard of Exit Through the Gift Shop, the movie he was involved in? It was pretty big.

He is famous, at least as famous as Ai Weiwei, another subversive artist that gets a lot of attention, though in different ways.

But that doesn’t apply here. If you don’t have knowledge of what the item is, you can’t fairly evaluate what you want to pay for it. I can sell stitched burlap sacks labeled “dog shit” for $50 each but they’re really filled with gold. That doesn’t mean a sack full of gold isn’t worth $50 when no one buys one.

“I have here a fake George Washington autograph. Want to buy it?”
“Uh, probably not, no. That’s actually a pretty weird question.”
“HAH! The autograph was GENUINE! You’re so STUPID!”

Or you just may not be hip on the art scene. I’m guessing this is more likely.

I’ve heard the name, I have an idea what he does, but I certainly wouldn’t have recognized his art or bought a print.

I thought the idea that you’re paying for provenance more than you’re paying for the actual object was well known and not controversial. I’ll bet if one individual figured him out and purchased every piece we wouldn’t be reading about the sale and those pieces would still be $60 wall hangers.