Barnes and Noble ediquette

OK, my sister and I were in Barnes and Noble today sitting in a couple of the comfy chairs browsing some books. There were four chairs surrounding a short table. So we’re sitting there and she asks me a question. We started talking about something, and the guy across from me goes “Excuse me! Could you keep it down?”. I was shocked, and did keep it down, but my question is this:

If you’re at Barnes and Noble reading stuff, are you supposed to treat it like a library? I guess I assumed that since it is a store and people all around are talking, it was OK to talk while sitting in the seats. Or was I being rude and the guy should have shushed me? I didn’t know, so I didn’t tell him to shove it up his…well, you know. I thought I’d appeal to you, teeming millions and tell me what you think.

Some mornings it just doesn’t seem worth it to gnaw through the leather straps.
Emo Philips (stolen from matt’s webpage)

I’d say louder than a library and quieter than a gas station. While it is a retail store, I’d say anyone who’s reading doesn’t want someone next to them holding a loud conversation. On the other hand, it is a public place, so speaking should be allowed. Personally, I’d of quieted down a little, but continued talking. If he don’t like it, let him go find somewhere else to drink his latte and read Cat Fancy for free.

“I guess it is possible for one person to make a difference, although most of the time they probably shouldn’t.”

Thanks Jo- that makes me feel better. We certainly weren’t carrying on- we were sitting close, and I don’t really have a carrying voice. You would have thought I was screaming by the attitude the guy was giving me. We decided next time we’de break into some nice show tunes for him…Maybe “Brigadoon”. See how that goes over :slight_smile:

I think the rudeness was all on one side and it wasn’t you. If he wants to read in absolute silence he can buy the book and go home with it -or- go to the bleeding library!

“Finally, consider Kottke’s voice which sounds like geese farts on a muggy day.”
Leo Kottke
6- And 12-String Guitar

Since I was so nice can I point out that you misspelled “etiquette”?

“Finally, consider Kottke’s voice which sounds like geese farts on a muggy day.”
Leo Kottke
6- And 12-String Guitar

Pluto, I knew it was misspelled, but I was in a tizzy and too upset to look it up. I knew it didn’t look right, but I didn’t know why.
Oh, and thanks for your vote- I feel a lot better now…I was really upset about it- He embarrassed me by shushing me. I felt like I had farted in church!! (hey, it happens!)

“SHHHH. Dictionaries are in aisle 2.”

Chief- you suck. :wink:
C’mon…spelling error aside- I’m really interested in what you guys think.
(I promise, next time something looks funny, I’ll quietly slip over to the dictionary section)

Zette-
I think if some cheap fuck wants to skirt the system by using the book store as a reading room he has to put up with a retail shopping environment. That includes screaming kids and old people farting near him.

So no you didn’t fart in church. You farted in the bathroom. Wait thats pretty gross huh?

How bout if I say you were doing the appropriate thing and he is an asshole? Would that make my position clear enough?

There’s a guy at our Borders, who spends about 8 hours there every day, reading.Never buys.For 3 years now.

I just laugh at the people in the cafe with laptops, writing some serious book analysis.What’s the deal?You can afford a laptop, but you can’t afford to buy the book you are writing about?

I can’t stand it anymore. So much for careful anonymity; heck, the gender neutrality thing is already blown, so why not go for the whole bowl of Cheerios?!

I’m currently a librarian, guys; actually I’m the director of a library. I also worked front line reference for a number of wonderful years and we don’t care a whoop in hell in people talk in low tones.

Okay, there a probably a few stereotypical battleaxes out there who do, but as long as the conversation isn’t in the research area and it’s in quiet voices, hey, go for it.

Most of us are thrilled yourer just talking. It’s the folks fornicating on the elevators, shaving in the periodical section, the drunks leaving bottles of MD20/20 tucked into the Nancy Drew display, the homeless cooking lunch over sterno cans in the study carrels, the hookers trying to ply their wares on the mezzanine couches…

Sorry. Deep breath…

Zette, you were not wrong. The antisocial twit who picked at you was wrong. I agree, the twerp should have either quietly moved himself, or bought the danged copy of Zig Ziglar he was mauling and gone home.

Veb
(one librarian joke, just ONE and…)

Well, now I wish I told him to stick it! I thought I was breaking some rule- but my thought was, hey- it’s the frickin’ bookstore, not the library. I would never have a normal conversation in the library, but a bookstore? Screw him. There- I feel better now. I hope I see him again. I’ll be sure to sit close and talk all I want. To myself…Perhaps give a book analysis…

Borders (at least the two in Chicago - downtown and Clark/Diversy) are the best places to pick up people. You go there and there are like 12 people buying books. The rest are cruising each other…I’ve met some nice folks there. Friends too

Caribu Coffee is another place.

I don’t know why but Starbucks and Barnes & Nobel are places where people actually seem to use the store as intended and not pick up joints.

[and yes I don’t think Caribu is spelled right but life is short :)]

TVeblen whispered – It’s the folks fornicating on the elevators, shaving in the periodical section, the drunks leaving bottles of MD20/20 tucked into the Nancy Drew display, the homeless cooking lunch over sterno cans in the study carrels, the hookers trying to ply their wares on the mezzanine couches…

– What hath Ben Franklin wrought?

Now where’d I leave that library card?

Wow… I’ve been going to the wrong libraries.

“I guess it is possible for one person to make a difference, although most of the time they probably shouldn’t.”

Zette:

Barnes & Noble tries to cultivate the image of some kind of library, I think. But it’s not, it’s a store. I think you were right not to tell him to shove it! but you should have reminded him it’s a store,not anything else, and you have as much right to converse as anyone.

B&N is a nice place to hang out, but I would seriously give the bums a roll.

R Flowers

“Nobody move, or everybody gets hurt!”
http://www.accesssky.net/users/flowershome/

[steely eyed glare at Chief Scott]

Did I not mention the no-jokes thing?? I did not whisper, I do not ever whisper, it sounds sneaky and creepy SO KNOCK IT OFF!

Ooops. Sorry, thought I wandered into the pit.

For your ediification, a library I formerly worked at was the site of a military wedding. It was at the beginning of the gulf war and the bridal couple had met in the library. (Not on the elevator, we hoped, but we didn’t ask.)

It was beautiful; the groom in uniform, the bride in her gorgeous white dress, the small wedding party all misty-eyed.

Let Barnes and Noble match THAT one!

Veb
[tugging her pince nez and snood into place)

The Borders we’ve got here is one of the noisiest places in town. Yeah, there’s a Cafe Espresso and a bunch of couches where people can sit & read, but the place is just crawling with kids, too. Not that I mind kids in a bookstore. They’re usually yelling “Mom! Mom! Can I pleeeeeeeease get this book?” Which is a good thing.

If a store has a sitting area with pseudo-parlor decor, I must say that I act kind of “libraryish” when in the immediate vicinity. But I kinda like being able to sit down and talk w/someone in a book store.

I was always a “stack reader” at good ol’ Philly Free. Ass on the linoleum, back against Fau-Fre, feet propped up on Twa-Twe. So just about anywhere I can read in a seat is OK with me.

I’m quiet out of deference to people who’re reading. Personally a bomb could go off next to me and I wouldn’t hear it, if I was engrossed in a novel.

If someone shushes me – no sweat, I’ll shush. It never seemed to bother me none, ma’am!

As to proper etiquette, dunno. I think we’re making it up as we go along.

Now with that out of the way…
“D’ja hear the one about the Rabbi, the Priest and the librarian?”

C’mon, at least smile, TV.

Chief Scott:

Only your status as Stalwart Defender of Freedom and Slayer of Trolls is saving you. Besides, I’ve already heard that one.

Now the one with the goat, the tractor salesman and the librarian…nah, too off-color for even this company.

And anyone who can get so lost in a book they don’t hear distractions gets at least one free pass.

Veb
(smiling, but in a prissy way)