Baseball questions

Traditionally, the first base coach throws a ball to the first baseman when he comes in to the dugout at the end of the inning.

[QUOTE=Ellis Dee]
Just for clarification, what’s the difference between a middle reliever and a long reliever?
[/QUOTE]

Usually a long reliever will get thrown in to eat some innings if the starter gets hurt or is giving up a shitload of runs. Let’s say you yank your starter in the 3rd inning because he got hit by a pitch. Your long reliever goes in until the 7th inning, when your middle reliever(s) take over. If you end up in a save situation, your closer could come into the game. (emphasis on “could”. They don’t HAVE to bring him in. They could also put the closer in on a non-save situation.)

A save situation would be if the team is up by 3 runs. Winning the game in that circumstance gets you a save.

[QUOTE=BobT]
Traditionally, the first base coach throws a ball to the first baseman when he comes in to the dugout at the end of the inning.
[/QUOTE]
You don’t know how long I’ve been looking for someone to tell me the answer to that question. A big thank you.

[QUOTE=bigbabysweets2000]
Here’s a really good article about him, and cheating in baseball. It’s a really good inside look at the game. Barry Bonds has cheated and on a national level most fans seem to dislike him. But that’s mostly just because he’s percieved as an asshole. Gaylord Perry cheated and is in the Hall of Fame while still being revered by fans of baseball. That’s because* he * cheated with style. :cool:

While we’re asking random baseball questions I’ll ask my own here too that I’ve never been able to get answered (even here on the SDMB).

In regards to Cecil’s question: Why is a ball always thrown to the 1st baseman as he leaves the field after an inning?
http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a2_182.html

I noticed this during my first baseball game I attended this season, and Cecil had the answer to my question.

Though on my second game this season I began wondering… “yah, but WHO throws the ball to the first baseman?”

I was on the first base line, so I could see into the away teams dugout, and it looked like the same guy who tossed the ball everytime, but I can’t be sure. So my question is, is it the same guy who throws the ball everytime? And is it a certain position (like it’s the team’s first base coah)?
[/QUOTE]

There’s definitely an inconsistency and hypocrisy to fans and writers who loathe Barry Bonds but gave a free pass to Gaylord Perry.

But I don’t think it’s all just because Bonds is a jerk and Perry was, by most accounts, a pretty nice guy.

In every sport, there are things that are technically against the rules but are widely accepted and even winked at. (Everybody in the NFL knows that holding is illegal, but all offensive linemen do it, and nobody much complains about “cheating”- the attitude is, hey, if it works and you can get away with it, more power to you.). And in every sport, there are also things that are perfectly legal but regarded as unforgivable.

Most people think a pitcher throwing the spitball (like Gaylord Perry) falls into the first category. And most people think a baserunner yelling “I got it” to make a fielder miss falls into the latter category (ask A-Rod).

I happen to think both things are utterly unacceptable, but I’m in the minority. Most fans/players/writers accept the former and disdain the latter behavior. As for steroids… well, there are all kinds of opinions there, but most people regard it as very different from a spitter.

[QUOTE=Least Original User Name Ever]
Usually a long reliever will get thrown in to eat some innings if the starter gets hurt or is giving up a shitload of runs. Let’s say you yank your starter in the 3rd inning because he got hit by a pitch. Your long reliever goes in until the 7th inning, when your middle reliever(s) take over. If you end up in a save situation, your closer could come into the game. (emphasis on “could”. They don’t HAVE to bring him in. They could also put the closer in on a non-save situation.)

A save situation would be if the team is up by 3 runs. Winning the game in that circumstance gets you a save.
[/QUOTE]

There’s a lot more to the save rule, actually. It deal with whether the batter or the on deck hitter could be considered the tying run. But what you laid out is a good rule-of-thumb.

As for the difference between long relief and middle relief I’d say it’s more just one of expectations. Both are relief pitchers expected to come in following the starter (or other reliever) but not holding the sacred ‘closer’ role (whether that designation is worthwhile or not is another argument). The expectation difference in whether the reliever is expected to go for a short stint or multiple innings. But most relievers could, and do, fill both roles depending on many factors including but not limited to tiredness, need for work to keep sharp, availability of other pitchers, team schedule, likelihood of rain, manager whim, injury, and so forth.

[QUOTE=Jonathan Chance]
There’s a lot more to the save rule, actually. It deal with whether the batter or the on deck hitter could be considered the tying run. But what you laid out is a good rule-of-thumb.

As for the difference between long relief and middle relief I’d say it’s more just one of expectations. Both are relief pitchers expected to come in following the starter (or other reliever) but not holding the sacred ‘closer’ role (whether that designation is worthwhile or not is another argument). The expectation difference in whether the reliever is expected to go for a short stint or multiple innings. But most relievers could, and do, fill both roles depending on many factors including but not limited to tiredness, need for work to keep sharp, availability of other pitchers, team schedule, likelihood of rain, manager whim, injury, and so forth.
[/QUOTE]

I know. I didn’t want to get too into it.
Pray to GOD he doesn’t ask exactly what a balk is or to explain the infield fly rule.

[QUOTE=Telemark]
The catcher signals the signs for which pitch to throw to the pitcher by holding down his fingers by his inner thigh. Only the pitcher is normally able to see that. However, if you put someone out in the bullpens or the bleachers with a telescope, the opposing team can pick up those signs.

If you steal the signs and relay them to the batter, he’ll know what pitch is coming. This is a bad thing. It is really counter to the spirit of the game.
[/QUOTE]

This notion is one I’ve only heard in the last ten or fifteen years or so, that stealing signs is bad. Stealing signs has always been an accepted part of baseball, if you could do it (you usually can’t and it hardly ever matters anyway.) There’s no longstanding notion of baseball sportsmanship that holds that stealing signs runs counter to the spirit of the game.

IMHO, if you have ytour signs stolen, it’s your fault for having shitty signs. If the other team can steal your signs I say good for them. (Stealing signs by some off-the-field mechanical means, however, is plainly cause for suspension.)

Incidentally, the save rule isn’t that hard to understand. You have to meet three conditions:

  1. You have to finish a game won by your team.
  2. You can’t be the winning pitcher.
  3. One of these must also be true: (a) You pitch a full inning or more with a lead of three or less when you entered the game, (b) You pitch at least three innings effectively, or (c) When you enter the game the tying run is one base, at bat, or on deck.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/41532/a_needtoknow_basis_cheating_methods.html

Heres a short list of methods to cheat in baseball.

[QUOTE=RickJay]
This notion is one I’ve only heard in the last ten or fifteen years or so, that stealing signs is bad. Stealing signs has always been an accepted part of baseball, if you could do it (you usually can’t and it hardly ever matters anyway.) There’s no longstanding notion of baseball sportsmanship that holds that stealing signs runs counter to the spirit of the game.

IMHO, if you have ytour signs stolen, it’s your fault for having shitty signs. If the other team can steal your signs I say good for them. (Stealing signs by some off-the-field mechanical means, however, is plainly cause for suspension.)

[/QUOTE]

I’d say you’re in one of those unwritten rules space. I can recall incidents concerning punishments for stealing signs (sometimes official and sometimes on-field) but it was always in a ‘Damn, that was clever. Now let’s bean him.’ sort of way.

I think that a player (say, a runner at second base) stealing signs is one thing. Stealing signs by planting someone in the stands with a telescope is another. I recall an incident within the last few years where a team was accused of having a center field camera piping in images to the clubhouse and someone there analyzing the signs and relaying information. That’s cheating. The guy on base stealing signs is clever.

[QUOTE=fachverwirrt]
I think that a player (say, a runner at second base) stealing signs is one thing. Stealing signs by planting someone in the stands with a telescope is another. I recall an incident within the last few years where a team was accused of having a center field camera piping in images to the clubhouse and someone there analyzing the signs and relaying information. That’s cheating. The guy on base stealing signs is clever.
[/QUOTE]
That was sort of my impression, too, but I’m wondering if real baseball types agree.

AFAIK, El Duque doesn’t actually throw a true Eephus pitch – which is distinguished by its high arcing trajectory (Steve Hamilton’s “Folly Floater” was a similar pitch). He can throw very slow pitches – just breaking 50 mph – using a regular trajectory. That’s actually more impressive.

As for stealing signs, it’s considered part of the game to steal signs (and I mean the catcher’s signs to the pitcher). However, that’s only if your a player on the field. If a batter reaches second base, then it’s considered kosher for him to try. What is an issue if you use technology like binoculars to steal the sign from off the field.

The third base coach and manager’s signs are always fair game, but are usually well disguised.