Basis for the "Blues Brothers"?

The Blues Brothers movie has always puzzled me. On the surface, it is just a silly movie of two struggling muscians, and I have come to accept it as just that UNTIL last night. I saw a documentary on the Stax record label, closest rival to Motown, out of Memphis. The story of a struggling record label bear trace similarities to the Blues Brothers…including the mention of a Donald Dunn who played with Booker T and the MGs. Is this the famous Donald “Duck” Dunn?

So, was the “Blues Brothers” perhaps a loose look at the R&B music business as a whole wrapped up in a big farse of a storyline? Or, am I crazy?

Ok, I know I’m crazy, but please answer the question anyhow! :smiley:

• Jinx

As far as I can see “Th Blues Brothers” was nothing more than a vehicle to make some money out of the characters that Akroyd and Belushi created on Saturday Night Live, while playing a lot of great and underappreciated American music. Yes it is the same Donald ‘Duck’ Dunn.

Well, apart from Jake and Elwood Blues, all the musicians in the Blues Brothers are real musicians playing themselves, so the movie is (in part) a vehicle for a sampling of jazz, blues and country music.

The Blues Brothers Band *are * Booker T and the MGs - or at least, the MGs; I don’t know where Booker T ran off to. These are guys who played music for some of the greatest soul and R&B recordings ever made.

I admit, it’s a strange movie. It’s both gritty and fanciful; authetic and surreal; it contains both some of of the greatest performers ever and some flagrant violations of the laws of physics. I suspect the film was made purely as a means for Belushi and Akroyd to express their love for black music, car chases and mind-altering narcotics.

(bolding mine) I don’t remember anything about this in the movie.

Yes, it was Cheech and Chong who made those movies about their love of mind-altering narcotics.

I thought it was diamonds.

You really think they were sober when they made it?

I’ve long been puzzled by the Catholic Church run orphanage being threatened because it couldn’t afford to pay property tax. Did I miss something?

Are you referring to the fact that the orphanage would have been exempt from paying property taxes because it is owned by the Catholic Church? Yes, this is a plot hole large enough to drive the Bluesmobile (if not the entire Chicago Police Department fleet) through. Especially since the rest of the movie so tightly adheres to the dictates of logic and realism. :slight_smile:

Well they would have wrote a script that adhered to the dictates of logic and realism except as Belushi said:

"I ran out of gas. I, I had a flat tire. I didn’t have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn’t come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake. A terrible flood. Locusts. IT WASN’T MY FAULT, I SWEAR TO GOD. "

Jim

I’ve always seen it as a huge plot hole also, but I figure that there are good reasons why this plot hole was used:

– It quickly and easily explains the brothers’ background (orphans).
– It quickly and easily explains why the brothers love R&B (Curtis the janitor taught them).
– It gives them something to do (a “mission from God”), so the film has a storyline and is not just random musical numbers.

With all those in place, we have reasons to put the band back together, to play at Bob’s Country Bunker, and to do the benefit. These, plus being chased by Carrie Fisher, Illinois Nazis, State Troopers, and Chicago Police can all grow out of the issues raised by the challenge of raising the money needed to pay the taxes. Sure, in real life, the church’s orphanage probably wouldn’t be taxed, but this plot hole is needed to make the story happen. I think it can be forgiven.

Are you trying to imply that the rest of the movie was unrealistic? My second will call on you, sir. My dry, white toast against your two fried chickens… and a Coke.

I seem to recall that the orphanage part of the plot was based on real events: there was a law, that was not passed, that would have taxed such property.

Four fried chickens.

Chicken wire?

Oh, to the OP, yeah, you’re crazy. No offense.

Best damn fried chicken in Chicago.
How about an Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Waiter, three Orange Whips.

Gotta love that movie.

I hate Illinois Nazis

Oh, hell no. But the movie wasn’t made as a way for them to express their love for mind altering substances; they could have done that without making the movie. And they did.

Jesus H. Tap-dancing Christ, YES! I see the light!

Even the Good Ole Boys?