Basis for the "Blues Brothers"?

I thought that it wasn’t that the church had to sell the property due to taxes. It was that the church sold the property to the school board and therefore it was going to be assessed and taxed.

But now that I’ve typed it out I think, “But surely the school board would not have to pay taxes either.”

“Got my cheese whiz, boy?”

Perhaps they don’t count, because they turned up very late to Bob’s Country Bunker (another plot hole: how can they turn up just as the place is closing for the night?), and never actually performed as musicians.

And strictly, Cab Calloway wasn’t playing himself: he was playing a character called Curtis, though he did sing a song that he had first sung about 50 years before the movie was made.

Sort of. Booker T & the MGs was a foursome. Booker T. Jones was not in the Blues Brothers. The MGs original drummer came down with a fatal case of lead poisoning. Willie Hall did play with the MGs for a short while in the 70s and was the drummer in the movie. Duck Dunn and Steve Cropper were the rest of the MGs and they were in the band. The rest of the band consisted of mostly musicians from the Saturday Night Live Band. That included Paul Shaffer and Steve Jordan who were not in the movie but were in the band on the albums. And also Matt Murphy who played with a lot of the blues greats.

I always figured they had a flat tire or something, but still wanted to show up and smooth things over with Bob so they could play there again sometime.

What I don’t get is why Tucker McElroy (head of the Good Ole Boys, according to IMDB) is so pissed at Jake and Elwood that he’d chase them and carry the grudge to the end of the film. They played in place of the Good Ole Boys, it’s true, but they killed. Next time the real Good Ole Boys play the Country Bunker, the place’ll be packed.
1060 W. Addison? That’s Wrigley Field.

How much for the little girl?

I also found myself wondering why, if the orphanage had to pay taxes, the diocese wouldn’t cover the bill. I mean, the RCC ain’t poor.

For God’s sake, it was a MACGUFFIN!!!

And, to clarify the connection between Booker T. and the MGs and Stax Records for those who didn’t see the documentary, the MGs was basically the house band at Stax and backed up many of the Soul singers there. The musical accompaniment with the band introduction is from the MGs’ “Time is Tight” and the Blues Brothers had a hit with their remake of Sam and Dave’s “Soul Man;” in the original Sam (or Dave) calls out, “Play it, Steve,” to Steve Cropper, guitar god and guitarist with the Blues Brothers. Since the Blues Brothers also contained another guitar god, Matt “Guitar” Murphy, rarely has so much musical firepower been used to support such inept singers.

Wow, another victim of the Spinal Tap curse that I wasn’t aware of…

One thing that always bugged me about that gag is that is was revealed way too early. Elwood should mention the address in his apartment, but Jake should chuckle knowingly, instead of say “Wrigley Field.” That way, John Candy and the Nazis can all mention the same address, the audience will notice, and then when the Nazis head to W Addison, they can cut to the street sign, and pan out to reveal the Wrigley Field marquee.

I always assumed it was Bob that was chasing them, he was just lucky enough to have a Winnebago and a driver handy.

And as long as we’re throwing in quotes:

“Are you the police?”
“No ma’am. We’re musicians.”

“The use of unnecessary violence in the apprehension of the Blues Brothers has been approved.”

Shit.

What?

Rollers.

No.

Yeah.

Shit.

One line I do use:

We had a band that could turn goat piss into gasoline.

Paul would have been in the movie but Lorne Michaels pressured him to work on Gilda Live instead.

Link stolen from another thread:

But *Gilda Live * is great. That’s another one that should be out on DVD but isn’t.

Carry on.

But I’m sure not nearly as much fun to make.

What makes this movie work is the genuine love and respect that the two stars have for the music. It must have been like a blues fantasy camp for them. They got to perform with some of the greatest musicians in the world, plus a few of thier boyhood idols (with Aretha thrown in for good measure).

And Jake and Elwood may not be the best singers, but they put everything they have into songs, and it comes through in a big way.

I really love that movie. Too bad John passed away, ending the possiblity of a sequel.
That’s right, you heard me - NO SEQUEL EXISTS!

in an imaginary sequel to the Blues Brothers one might imagine a rendition of “How Blue Can You Get” by an all star band featuring BB King, Eric Clapton, Dr. John, Gary U S Bonds, Jeff Baxter, Bo Diddley, Lou Rawls, KoKo Taylor, Clarence Clemons, John Faddis, Isaac Hayes, Tommy Mcdonnell, Charlie Musselwhite, Billy Preston, Joshua Redman, Travis Tritt, Jimmie Vaughan, Grover Washington, Wylie Weeks and Steve Winwood that would be worth sitting through the sequel if it had existed…

The lead I was refering to was introduced into the body via a firearm.

Italics mine.

I fixed your quote.

How often does the train go by?
So often you’ll barely notice it.