Bathrobes (Need Answer Fast!)

I normally sleep in just underwear; when I get up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom, I slip into my robe, or else I’m frozen by the time I get back into bed! In the morning, it’s not unusual for me to put on the sweat pants I’m going to wear for the morning (nowhere public except for the bus stop) and my bath robe, while I get my coffee, and get mudgirl her oatmeal and hot cocoa.

After my shower or bath, I towel off, but can never manage to dry off completely. I put on my bath robe until I’m dry enough to either dress for the day, or go to bed for the night.

On a Sunday morning, I’m likely to put on my bath robe, a pair of sweat pants, and a pair of ‘fuzzy’ socks, and just slop around in the house like that all morning long.

I have two so far, and want more. I have one small child and another due soonish. It is something I can throw on over my pjs, and keeps me as warm as a blanket. I am planning on spending the first couple of weeks post-baby in yoga pants, bathrobe, and t-shirt.

I didn’t use one until after I had a kid. Now it’s indispensable.

Apparently many people in this thread count “bathrobes” as identical to “robes”. To me they’re different: to be usable as a bathrobe, it’s got to be somewhat absorbent, usually terrycloth; after all, even if you’ve toweled off (which my mother doesn’t, when she’s got a terrycloth robe), you’re still moist. Most of my non-bathrobe robes wouldn’t have been usable as bathrobes, as they would have been drenched within seconds just from any strand of hair that escaped the towel turban.

I like them on the weekend when you’re in no hurry to get dressed and start the day. Sit around in your robe, drink coffee and read the paper.

Only my mother ever wore (wears) a bathrobe/housecoat. My father walked around the house either; fully clothed, in his underwear, or naked depending on the time of day/night or what he was doing (eg bathing, sleeping) or planning to do. When company/friends/relatives were over he’s usually stick to the first two. Mom did buy me a bathrobe before I went to college, but I never actually used it (lived in a suite). As an adult I’ve devloped my father’s habits.

Same here - a terry one for shower time (towel off, wrap myself up, and wander the bedroom for my clothes), and a fluffy one to keep me warm when I’m in my jammies and watching TV. I only use them in the colder months, though. My bedroom is cold in the winter, so I need the bathrobe to keep me from freezing to death before I can find pants.

My father and brother and I are all intermittent sleepers, we will wake up after about four hours of sleep, unless we’ve been heavily sedated. And by heavy sedation, I mean a lot of Demerol or something similar. Even with Demerol, I’ll have to wake up in the middle of the night to pee, unless I also have a catheter for urine.

Usually, when I wake up, I’m pretty hungry, too, and I know from experience that I can’t sleep if I’m cold, have to pee, or I’m hungry. So usually I will eat some cheese and crackers…I generally don’t keep pie in the house. I’ll only have a single slice when I’m eating out.

But go right ahead and keep jumping to conclusions. The exercise is good for you.

I get up in the middle of the night to pee too but I don’t snarf down hundreds of calories after doing so. My BMI is 21 and I work out regularly. I am well aware of the benefits of exercise and clearly I am not the one who needs more of it.

Put me down with **YogSosoth **- I don’t understand them at all. If I want comfy loungy clothes, I wear comfy loungy clothes. I’m in them more often than not on nights and weekends. Never understood the need for a robe.

I’ve thought they were cool in the catalogs, of course, but I just have absolutely no need for one.

hajario – this thread is about robe habits. Attacking someone else because of an offhand comment about snacking is a jerkish thing to do.

Warning issued.

I don’t see how hajario jumped to any conclusions. Lyn specifically said “Use your robe when you get up to eat pie”, Haj said “That’s not very healthy” then Lynn says “I’ve got a sleeping disorder! And I only eat a little cheese and crackers, fucker!”. Strange warning.

Anyhoo, I have an elaborate formula I go through whenever I decide whether to wear robe. In basic English it boils down to whether I’m going to meet anyone on the way to the bathroom.

Seriously. :rolleyes:

Oh come on how. In what language does “Use your robe when you get up to eat the last slice of pie in the fridge” imply that anyone in the discussion eats pie?

Well, to get back to the OP a little. . .I guess there is a difference between a “robe” and a “bathrobe”; I have a regular robe. It’s fuzzy (kind of fleece-like) and warm, and I wear it in the mornings over sweat pants, before I get dressed for the day. I also put it on when I get up to use the bathroom at night and don’t want to get cold. But my hubby’s robe is a bathrobe, meaning it’s terry cloth, thick, and absorbent.

I only shower maybe twice a week, when my hair needs washing (the other days I take a bath); when I take a bath, I take my robe and some sweat pants/lounge pants in the bathroom with me to slip on when I’m done. When I shower, however, I often steal my hubby’s robe, because I can just lightly towel off after the shower, then the robe does the rest.

I’ve also been known to “steal” his robe when he’s not home, and it’s the first thing my hand falls on in the early morning or the middle of the night!

Wow. Is that for real? Kynn makes a comment, Haj answers it, they have a short exchange that amounts to nothing and Haj gets a warning? For THAT?

Off to ATMB…

Wrong thread

To derail this topic from the discussion of pie-eating habits for a moment…

I usually sleep naked or in my undies. My bathroom is outside, and as I live in a row of two-storey terraces, all my neighbours have a view into my back-yard.

A terry-towelling dressing gown is a lot easier than looking for a pair of tracksuit pants, especially at three in the morning. It’s also a boon when I go downstairs for a shower that I don’t have to bring all my clothes and get fully dressed in the bathroom.

One of my friends keeps several fluffy white terrycloth robes for guests to use when we decide to go for a swim at night.