Battlestar Galactica 3.5 - "Collaborators" (spoilers)

In the picture, Gaeta is standing there and Tighe is visible over his shoulder giving him the stinkeye (ha) behind his back. It mirrored the current situation of Tighe sitting in judgement of Gaeta in Abstentia.

That reminds me, when is Tighe going to get a cool space-pirate eye patch?

I think it was exactly in character for Zarek to create the Circle. He has always preferred (secret) violence to solve problems. Roslinn should be grateful that there was someone to be evil instead her having to do it. That way, she gets to be the merciful, forgiving leader after some of the collaborators are spaced. Her policy is the best one, though. There’s not enough people to spare.

41,435. That’s about 10K less than they arrived with at New Caprica.

Yeah, but I don’t read your posts. :slight_smile:

Somehow it escaped me until now that Gaeta was only communicating with Tyrol, who didn’t tell anyone how he got the straight dope as it were. Thanks, both of you.

Again, dammit, I am on the wrong side of fighting ignorance…maybe if I start reading Loopdude’s posts…

I’m thinking there may be continuity issues with the 41, 345 number. I thought at one point, it was announce that they were down to 40k on New Caprica, after the loss of the Cloud 9. Buncha folks died on New Caprica, during the occupation and during the breakout. Unless there were lots of babies born as well, I think that number should be lower…like 35k or so…

Don’t forget the crews of Pegasus and Galactica in your count. Even undermanned that will raise the count a thousand or so.

I thought I was replying to Merijeek.

Anyway, Tyrol did discuss the fact that he had a source with other high-level members of the insurgency, and stated explicity that it was probably better for all concerned that the idendity of the leak and so forth be a secret. The Chief was not the only one aware of how vitally important this leak was. I mean, frak, the whole reason Starbuck was recruited to the “jury” was because other members of said jury, who were in direct communication with the very highest-ranking members of the insurgency, overheard her conversation with Gaeta. They overheard him telling her he was the leak! Yet, after all the open agonizing over the true guilt of Mr. Gaeta, they made no mention of it whilst recruiting Starbuck, reopening the case with a full jury, and then convicting him.

I guess they had no interest in justice of any form, even the most barbaric, which I suppose would make their actions that much more heinous. It’s the only way I could explain their behavior: At least half the “jury” simply wanted to kill somebody. And, as suggested above, the only way I can swallow Gaeta’s behavior is if he was so very depressed and frakked up that he wasn’t able to behave at all rationally, even to the point the human instinct for self-preseration was completely overridden.

Well, it’s over. They’ve largely wrapped up the most pressing issues related to the post-New Caprican Colonial society, and I guess at this point it’s best they just be done with it so as to avoid these structural problems. I really think, though, if they wanted to show Gaeta was damaged goods, they could have done so quite chillingly by making him a part of the “jury”. I mean, how did they know Jammer was a collaborator? Gaeta! As of now, he’s still pretty much the Eagle Scout.

Must keep looking forward, looking forward…

I also had major suspension of disbelief issues over Gaeta being suspect at all. Jammer and the New Caprica police I can see-but Gaeta was a high profile officer in the CIC, the 2nd biggest brain trust after Gaius and the 2nd most high profile human in the administration after the Cylons took over New Caprica. He would have been hauled before Roz and Adama post-haste about explaining himself and giving inside information on Cylon plans whether or not he wanted to portray himself as the hero of the resistance.

OTOH, the mumbly taciturness and hiding his role part, I thought was completely in character. Gaeta seems to me, to have always been the nice nerd amongst a sea of jocks. They like him, but they don’t have similar interests so he always comes off as being on the periphery. You never saw him playing cards or doing anything with the other officers from S1 onwards-nope, it seems like he was always calculating a jump or plotting some genetics etc… So to that end, his blubbery half-articulate confession was pretty accurate. What was NOT accurate, for me, was how he got there.

Still, I give this episode a B+. They got some of the loose threads out of the way.

On a completely superficial note…is it just me or has the Gaeta factor gone through the roof since he grew out those gorgeous curls?

Oh, and am I the only one who started giggling at the sniffly “I did what I could?” rub-snot-off-nose line? Is Gaeta forever going to be that unsung hero nerd who ends up saved by the Nice Jock? Come on, man, use those brain cells…

I bet never. Black eye patch - relegates eye to the past, invites space-pirate jokes. Fresh piece of gauze every day - brings home the fact they ripped his eye out. Keeps it a fresh reminder all the time.

And my comment on the “insurgents should have realized Gaeta was their mole” theory - not only did the insurgents not need to know who their source was - it was also best if only one person (Tyrol) knew what the signal was. If more insurgents (even high ranking ones) knew about the dogbowl signal, that’s just more chance of betraying the source. So Gaeta had to find exactly the right person to tell about the dogbowl. I agree though - Adama and Roslin should have been debriefing him about 60 seconds after they realized he was on the Galactica.

Actually one thing I did like a lot, and really does deserve praiseful mention is the condition of the Galactica. For once it finally looks like a vessel that’s been nuked to an inch of its life and suffered all the other abuse it was put through during the rescue. It’s a mess, inside and out, which is, of course, entirely appropriate RDM made a mention of this during the podcast, but it’s still nice to see. I used to get so sick of Star Trek, and the way the Enterprise, or whatever other ship was on screen, could be fired upon over and over, but the vast majority of the time looked like it had just been completely refurbished, and Turtle-Waxed to boot.

Another thing they’re handling pretty well now is the sense of claustrophobia post-New Caprica. You see the couples that once at least had their own tent down to having just their own rack with a sheet over the front. No space, no privacy, no freedom to be intimate without a crowd literally on top of you. Set an effectively oppressive mood. You can’t go home again. Not easily, anyway. I thought they did a great job with all of that.

No, not at all. Starbuck and Gaeta were sitting at a table all to themselves (that was the point; no one wanted to be around Gaeta). And once Starbuck went over everyone started vacating the area – everyone knows what Starbuck is like, and didn’t want to be involved.

Circle Chick didn’t perk up until Starbuck started shouting at Gaeta. Gaeta had been talking to Starbuck, not particularly loudly, and IIRC leaning forward; they were in the middle of a very crowded room. Circle Chick didn’t overhear what Gaeta said – she just overheard that Starbuck thought he should be dead.

Making her perfect for their kangaroo court.

Roslyn wasn’t back in charge, yet. Adama had other things to worry about – getting the Galactica back in working order, thousands of refugees, overcrowding on the Galactica, figuring out what they had to work with, etc.

That’s why Tigh specifically said that “the Circle” had three days to do its work – that was how long until Zarek gave up the Presidency. So they had to have their lynchings before that time was up. Roslyn and Adama hadn’t even begun to consider what to do, let alone hauling in people from Baltar’s administration. Adama wanted his ship back up and running; so when he thought of Gaeta, it was “how can he fix my ship,” not “what can he tell me about Baltar’s booze and pills and honeys.”

Which explains why their review of the “facts” was so crap. Since Gaeta said he told his story to lots of people (who didn’t believe him), a proper investigation should have included that testimony. Instead, the evidence they’re reviewing is a corners-cut-off photo from when he was on Galactica (irrelevant), and some paperwork from Baltar’s presidency (circumstantial).

It’d be nice if we knew who prepared those dossiers that Tigh kept handing out; I suspect they came from some of Zarek’s surviving henchmen – which is an interesting plot point.

This may have happened off-screen - could be why Adama trusted him to fix the phones in the CIC in the first place.

Well, if this is really how sloppily everything was done, how little knowledge they really had, and how little consideration they put into their decisions, they’re just a bunch of thugs, full stop. There’s simply no excuse for their behavior.

[QUOTE=Loopydude]

Just decided not to tell anyone who mattered, like, say Adama, Zarek, Roslin, nobody?

So, you’re listing three people who didn’t know? I can see how THAT would be helpful. He could have mentioned it to Toilet Scrubber First Class Olaf Petersen and it wouldn’t have helped him either.

Anyone could have made the claim, and the biggest-name targets (remember our Goodlifers were mostly anonymous) will be the first ones to come out with the “I was really on your side” BS.

Besides, this is three days later. They’re still getting people sorted out.

-Joe

I loved the shifty red eye motif in on the base star.

What were those pills Gaius took?

What’s in the super-secret-mystery website? I’ve seen the Scooby password, but since I’m extraordinarily spoiler-adverse, I’ve never checked it out. Are there outtakes and deleted scenes from this week’s episode, or is it interviews and previews of upcoming episodes?

And now Adama has to deal with the civilian spouses, infants, and possibley even stepchildren of it’s crew living onboard Galactica. That should be interesting.

Not necessarily.

The had, IIRC, about 37K on New Caprica. Two Battlestars with half-strength crews bring the total up to 39K. All the other random ships in orbit that escaped bring it even higher.

Still, seems like they either lost very few in the escape from New Caprica (good job Bill!) or 41,345 hasn’t been updated since they haven’t managed a census yet.

-Joe

Sure. Government-sponsored thugs grabbing and killing potentially innocent people.

The excuse is that their government told them to do it.

-Joe

Is that the count as of this episode? The population count has been bugging me a bit so I hauled out my DVDs and started digging around a bit. If anyone cares:

-Towards the end of season one they showed the population as 47,852. They stated getting stingy showing is the population after that.

-Just after the Pegasus episodes the population was 49,604. So they must have included the Pegasus crew.

-During the ep Epiphanies, which is the one where Roslyn is dying and Balter is preparing to take over the presidency, the population board says 49,598.

-During Downloaded, right before the election and when Boomer’s baby “dies,” it’s 49,579.

-During Lay Down Your Burdens, pt 2; which is after Starbuck returns to the fleet with Anders & crew, and Roslyn is busily rigging the election, the population is 49,550.

-After Baltar took over the presidency I think he took down the population board. Pegasus Six then blows up Cloud Nine before they occupy New Caprica. Did they ever say how many people were aboard? I’d guess quite a few; that ship was big.

They probably lost some people due to disease and lack of medicine on New Caprica. After the Cylon occupation they probably lost some to the occasional trigger-happy Centurion, the detainment camp, mistakes made by the human police force, and for a short while there Tigh was targeting innocent civilian targets during his little terror campaign. Tigh mentioned last night they lost “thousands,” but I’m not clear if that was just during the evacuation or if he was including people lost throughout the occupation.

41K doesn’t sound too unreasonable though. Everyone fill free to fill in any blanks I’m missing.

[QUOTE=Merijeek]

Why is this so difficult? Has Col. Tight not been reinstated as XO? Would he not be involved in all high-level military activity aboard the Galactica (as he is already)? Was he not also the head of the insurgency?

I’m done arguing this. The folks I’m typically arguing with can’t be bothered to read what I actually write anyway. Not worth the effort for a frakking TV show.

I can’t believe I let that get through spell-check and preview.

They started getting stingy showing us the population [numbers] after that.