Beatles Reunion (purely hypothetical)

Let’s imagine this scenario: the richest promoter in the world offers the two remaining Beatles a gajillion dollars to re-form for one world tour. My question: who would be worthy replacements (for lack of a better word) for John and George?My choices would be Eric Clapton for George Harrison and Neil Innes for John Lennon. For those unfamiliar with him, Neil Innes wrote most of the music for Monty Python and portrayed Ron Nasty, the Lennon takeoff in the Rutles’ TV film “All You Need Is Cash”. I always felt he sounded more like John than Julian did. WDYT, Dopers?

I’d settle for a Rutles reunion.

[QUOTE=want2know]
Let’s imagine this scenario: the richest promoter in the world offers the two remaining Beatles a gajillion dollars to re-form for one world tour. My question: who would be worthy replacements (for lack of a better word) for John and George
What about Julian Lennon and Dhani Harrison? They may not sound exactly like their dads, but the ‘connection’ would certainly be there!

Pete Best on bongos.

Does Pete Best have a son? If so, Julian and Dhani could open the show by kicking him out of the band. HUGE laughs!

Julian Lennon and Eric Clapton. Throw in Billy Preston on the piano, and get George Martin back to produce whatever they make.

Then Yoko’s daughter can come along and break up the new band.

[QUOTE=Stephe96
What about Julian Lennon and Dhani Harrison? They may not sound exactly like their dads, but the ‘connection’ would certainly be there![/QUOTE]

This would be my answer, but I wouldn’t pay to see it.

I’d toss in Elvis Costello and Neil Young.

Trying to replace John and George would be retarded. I doubt either living Beatle would go for it. They already have a bajillion dollars.
If they were to do it, Paul, Ringo, and a nameless backing band would suffice.

I think they are too reverent of The Beatles Myth to ever do that. It’s just too Vegas. They are very, very protective of the image of The Beatles, and treat their legacy with the utmost in dignity. Paul may work with Ringo some more, on albums by either of them, but I don’t see the kind of show you suggest ever happening. They rejected Sid Whatsisname’s offers for all those years, and with good reason. Protect the image at all cost.

It would be what? :rolleyes:

Yes, but they’ve been offered a gajillion dollars. Does this change your answer?

Julian and Dhani are my picks as well, and, within reason. I wouldn’t pay to see it, but I might buy the cd.

Plus Nora Jones on sitar.
Seriously, though, the Beatles were never that hot as live performers. Their genius was in their songwriting and in their studio work. The only reason I’d care for a Beatles reunion was if they cut an album with all new material, and with 60% of their writing talent dead (and the remaining part hasn’t written a decent song in a decade and a half at least), I wpouldn’t expect all that much.

How about this: Roger Daltrey and Pete Townsend get together with Ringo and Paul, creating a new Superband that will destroy Mothra and Rodan.

I delighted at the idea of Neil Innes for John Lennon. I’ve been a fan of his since the Bonzo Dog Band days, and he is further appropriate because he appeared on Magical Mystery Tour with the Beatles.

Neil is a first-class musician and composer in his on right, BTW. If you want to hear what he sounds like, go to his web page. Listed to “Piggy in the Middle,” his John Lennon parody.

ABBA turned down a billion dollars, and they are all still alive.

Maybe Sean Lennon, Dhani Harrison, James McCartney and Jason Starley should get together.

John Lennon had two sons. One with musical talent and Sean.

Well put. I think sean got his musical talent from his mother, not his father.