Beck, why didn't you tell me Arkansas has a Cleveland County?

Formed in 1873, 70 years after Ohio became a state. We welcome our southern brothers and sisters as long as they behave. And send pie.

We have a Dallas County as well but nobody from Dallas, Texas seems to care.

Oh, there’s a Dallas in Texas, too?

Learn something new every day :zany_face:

And Grant County was named after President Grant. It’s seat, Sheridan, was named after General Sheridan. Yes! The very same Sheridan who is the ancestor of John Sheridan the commander of Babylon 5!

There are ~4000 counties or parishes in the USA. It’d be interesting to get a list of duplicated names. Gonna be several (many?) names twinned in 2 states. How many triples or quads?

I’m sorry I thought you knew.

We have a Nevada county (I live on the Nevada county /Ouachita county line)

Nevada is said differently than the state of Nevada. (Vay-Vah)

Ouachita is pronounced wash it all. Or “ol’ shitty” according to your mind set.

I think most of the Clevelands were named after the president, though. Our Cleveland was named after Moses Cleaveland, an early settler of the area (the name got shortened to better fit on top of a newspaper).

Per a free spreadsheet download from https://simplemaps.com/data/us-counties, here’s the breakdown:

There are 3,144 counties or county-level jursidictions in the 50 United States. (This data doesn’t include territories.)

There are 1,838 distinct county names, so lots of dupes. The most duplicated is Washington (31 occurences), followed by Franklin and Jefferson (26), Jackson and Lincoln (24), and Madison (20).

I will try to paste in the full deduped table with counts, but we’ll see how Discourse handles it.

(Deleted by moderator.)

Back to the topic, there are three Cleveland counties. (North Carolina, Oklahoma, and Arkansas.)

Moderating:

Let’s leave it with the link only. The scroll is ridiculous. I’m editing your post to eliminate that part.

When I first moved here, Mrs. Odesio liked to hear me try to pronounce the names of places. Instead of pronouncing Beebe as bee-bee I said used a long e sound in the middle with no e at the end. Don’t get me started on El Dorado.

It’s “ell Doe RAY doe”, right?

How else would yokels butcher a perfectly nombre cromulento de Español? :wink:

Nevada has a county named after a Northern Officer that was killed early in the Civil War. Never set foot within 2000 miles or more!

El Dorado, Kansas, is a town about 30 miles from where I live. And it’s pronounced exactly as you stated.

Years ago, I was approached by an out-of-towner who asked me for directions to “El Dora Due”.

I cheated. There’s an aviation thingy near there pronounced that way.

Otherwise I’d have guessed the typical Spanish pronunciation.

I hope you shot him. He sure needed killin’ as thevTexans might say.

We don’t want anyone rasin’ the price of hoo-ers in Texas.

Ogemaw. Try that on for size.

Oh–ghee–ma

And you guys complain about Worcestershire and Belvoir.

WOOSTershere and Beaver,

Ohio has a “Wooster”. We spell it exactly like that, “Wooster”.