Beer and tomato juice? Huh?

It’s not beer and tomato juice, it’s Beer and Clamato. And it makes crappy beer better. That is something I have sorely needed since moving to the US - if I’m going to have beer, it’s gonna be with clamato.

Also, I would like to point out to you nay-sayers: Oxymoron and his SO were here for dinner on Friday night. I made them Ceasars (Vodka, Clamato, Worcestershire Sauce, salt, pepper, and celery salt) and they LIKED them. So NYAH.

This I can confirm. I always thought Clamato was just a hideous, drug-induced abomination, which at best made it a sort of northern-latitudes ipecac: It’s tomato-y! It’s clammy! It’s—blaaaarrrrrrghhhrghghgh…

But I can honestly say that it mixes well with vodka, worcestershire, and spices. Really tasty, in fact.

Still not sure that I’d ever drink the stuff without the protective addition of grain spirits.

Hell, you can get a pitcher of red beer here in the bars. It’s a favorite with the early morning bar patrons. I always thought it was a way to justify drinking so early…you are getting some nutritious tomato juice with your beer!

I’ve tried it, but I prefer the spicy V8 and beer myself (not that it’s on my list of favorite drinks, but if…)

Ginger, I’ll try your Caesar. I like Clamato anyway (oh, shush), and I love a bloody mary. Sounds even better your way!

It IS. It’s lovely. It’s just a shake or two of salt & pepper, and about three or four drops of Worcester in 1 oz vodka and about 5 oz (or less if you like it stronger) Clamato. You make it in a glass with a celery-salted rim, and stir it with a celery stalk. Yummah!

A tiny bit of horseradish is requisite for a proper Caesar, in my opinion.

Now, I can’t stand celery, but for some reason I’ve always kind of tolerated it in a Bloody Mary. Is it absolutely necessary, or can I skip it?

And Larry, I haven’t got horseradish on hand. Would it be horrifying to substitue a spike of hot sauce?

Hell no! Tabasco is a pretty standard addition.

I like to use a bit of Tuong Ot Toi chili garlic sauce, which I suppose plenty of folks would find horrifying.

Works for me though.

Can I get this straight…‘clamato’ is clam juice and tomato juice? WHOA!! Saying that i’m the kind of weird person who likes that kind of thing and I adore a properley made bloody mary (quality vodka, premium tomato juice, dash of dry sherry, worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, tabasco, celery salt and pepper, one cube of ice, stirred with a stick of celery) so I may like this freakish sounding drink. Is a ‘bloody ceaser’ basically a ‘bloody mary’ with clamto instead of tomato juice? Also where can I get this stuff?

I can buy it at one of the grocery stores around here, but it’s hard to find (at least in Baltimore). At home (Canada), it’s in every grocery store and many of the ‘party’ stores where you can buy liquor and mix.