Beets beets and more beets

We get an organic vegetable delivery every other week. Lately it’s been heavy on the root vegetables, unsurprisingly.

I haven’t been keeping up with the beets as well as I should, so I have quite a collection. They’re all in the oven right now, wrapped in foil.

Any ideas what I can do with them over the next couple of days?

Tonight will probably just be sliced beets alongside roast chicken.
Looking for other suggestions, otherwise we’re probably just going to throw them on salads.

I’m really hoping spring-y stuff kicks in soon. Getting tired of parsnips and carrots and beets and turnips.

Borscht? Or pickle 'em. I like beets with a litte bit of balsalmic vinegar, goat cheese, and candied walnuts.

Pickling is a great idea! I also like the balsamic idea. No candied walnuts but I do have regular walnuts on hand.

Make a New England boiled dinner, then use the leftovers and the beets to amke red flannel hash

Don’t combine them with equine. :smiley:

A nice addition to the balsamic dressing for beets/goat cheese/frisee/nuts is actually orange juice concentrate. I keep a can of it in the freezer for just this purpose (I never use it for anything else), and every so often I scoop out a spoonful to dump in dressing.

They’re very nice with chopped raw fennel, a little olive oil, salt and pepper, and a squeeze of lemon. Fennel seeds are optional.

I like this Moroccan salad where the beets are served with cumin seeds and fresh mint. There are other nice Moroccan salad recipes out there for beets, but this one is my current favorite.

Toss them with roasted carrots, parsnips, onions, garlic, and other root veggies for mixed roasted root vegetables. Cook the beets separately and mix them in at the last minute so they don’t turn everything pink.

I highly recommend combining them with goat or blue cheese, walnuts, and/or balsamic. Great combo.

Otherwise - I glaze them sometimes, which involves a little butter, a little syrup/honey/whatever sweet, and usually some horseradish or good strong mustard. You bake them, dice/slice/wedge them, then saute in the glaze until well-coated and reduced.

Pickling is good, too, but they get pretty strong, so maybe not so awesome if you’ve got loads of 'em. I pickled a bunch a while back, and they’re still lurking in my fridge because I got sick of them before I ran out.

My first round of beets went into a green salad with blue cheese and balsamic vinegar. Still on the fence for tomorrow night.

Roast them in the oven with a bit of olive oil.

We also like to boil them and serve with a little bit of butter… mmmmm.

Darnit, I can’t wait until the garden is in and we can start eating them. This year I plan to plant a couple extra rows…

Beet rosti. It’s basically a potato pancake, except made with beets. This stuff is awesome.