Belated Veteran's Day Post

I had planned this post a month ago. I had intended to post it 12:11 pm Eastern time on November 11th, but what I HADN’T planned on was my phone lines going out on Tuesday and not being repaired until Saturday. So, here it is… late.

<center>

http://members.aol.com/Rngrjeff/willienjoe.art

In Flanders Fields (by John McCrae)

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved, and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.
Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

Ranger Jeff

Amen.

Jeff, thank you for all you did.

And to all the other vets out on there amongst the Teeming Millions – thank you.

-Melin

Proud Daughter and Daughter-in-law of veterans

What a very nice thing to do! Sometimes we forget what that day is really about. My Grandfather was a vet. I loved him very much and am proud that he served his country.

Thanks to any and all who did the same.

Best!
Byz

Thanks for posting that, Jeff.

Sue from El Paso

Experience is what you get when you didn’t get what you wanted.

May I ask a dumb question? Is Veterans day only to honor the people who have fought in wars? Or is it also a tribute to everyone who has served in the military?
Thanks,
Zette

Click here for some GOOD news for a change

Zettecity

Thanks for this post… my dad was in WWII and the day (altho called Remembrance Day here) means alot to me.

“Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.”

Zette,

I don’t think that’s a dumb question at all. The courage and patriotism of all men and women who have served in the armed services of the United States are honored on Veterans Day. In 1919, President Woodrow Wilson proclaimed November 11th Armistice Day, but the day did not become a national holiday until 1938. Its name was changed to Veterans Day by Congress in 1954. President Dwight D. Eisenhower signed the bill into law for this day “to honor veterans…a day dedicated to world peace.”

<center>Ranger Jeff

All gave some…
Some gave all.

Ranger Jeff,
Thanks for the answer- I thought that was correct, and acting under that assumption, on Veterans Day I thanked my co-workers who have served in the armed forces. Another co-worker overheard me and said that Veterans day was for people who had been in a war. I didn’t argue, but I felt a little silly after that. Now I feel warm and fuzzy about it again. Thanks!
Zette

Click here for some GOOD news for a change

Zettecity- I finally posted a pic!

Ok Jeff, I’m late to post here, but I didn’t forget the day. My dad was one of eight kids and five brothers, all who went off to WWII. Each one’s service was important to me, from the oldest brother who was at Pearl Harbor to the youngest who lied about his age to join the Marines (and stayed on through Korea and Vietnam, just had to prove he was as big as his brothers… :wink: ) The husband of my oldest aunt never became my uncle because he was killed at the Bulge.

Out of this generation, only a few of us didn’t serve. Thanks to those who did.

I can’t think of any other place for it, but is MPSIMS the right place for this?

Cornflakes wondered:

I wondered about the same thing. It’s certainly not a General Question, Great Debate, Pitworthy, About this Message Board, or a reply to a Column or Mailbag Question. I talked with Euty, and he said it was cool to go off topic in MPSIMS.

<center>Ranger Jeff
*The Idol of American Youth *
Riders In The Sky

Nice job, Ranger Jeff.

Dopeler effect:
The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.

Although we have widened our recognition towards all veterans, Veteran’s Day is a day to specifically honor wartime soldiers.

An Act (52 Stat. 351; 5 U. S. Code, Sec. 87a) approved May 13, 1938, made he 11th of November in each year a legal holiday - - a day to be dedicated to the cause of world peace and to be hereafter celebrated and nown as 'Armistice Day. ’

"Armistice Day " was primarily a day set aide to honor veterans of World War I, but in 1954, after World War II had required the greatest mobilization of soldiers, sailors, marines and airmen in the Nation’s history; after American forces had fought aggression in Korea, the 83rd Congress, at the urging of the veterans service organizations, amended the Act of 1938 by striking out the word “Armistice” and inserting in lieu thereof the word 'Veterans. ’ With the approval of this legislation (Public Law 380) on June 1, 1954, November 11th became a day to honor American veterans of all wars.

Veterans Day, 1954

BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICAN A PROCLAMATION 3071

Whereas it has long been our customs to commemorate November 11, the anniversary of the ending of World War I, by paying tribute to the heroes of that tragic struggle and by rededicating ourselves to the cause of peace; and Whereas in the intervening years the United States has been involved in two other great military conflicts, which have added millions of veterans living and dead to the honor rolls of this Nation; and Whereas the Congress passed a concurrent resolution on June 4, 1926 (44 Stat. 1982), calling for the observance of November 11 with appropriate ceremonies, and later provided in an act approved May 13, 1938 (52 Stat. 351) , that the eleventh of November should be a legal holiday and should be known as Armistice Day; and Whereas, in order to expand the significance of that
commemoration and in order that a grateful Nation might pay appropriate homage to the veterans of all its wars who have contributed so much to the preservation of this Nation, the Congress. by an act approved
June 1, 1954 (68 Stat. 168), changed the name of the holiday to Veterans Day:

Now, Therefore, I, Dwight D. Eisenhower, President of the United States of America, do hereby call upon all of our citizens to
observe Thursday, November 11, 1954, as Veterans Day. On that day let us solemnly remember the sacrifices of all those who fought so valiantly, on the seas, in the air, and on foreign shores, to preserve our heritage of freedom, and let us reconsecrate ourselves to the task of promoting an enduring peace so that their efforts shall not have been in vain. I also direct the appropriate officials of the Government to arrange for the display of the flag of the United States on all public buildings on Veterans Day.

In order to insure proper and widespread observance of this anniversary, all veterans, all veterans’ organizations, and the entire citizenry will wish to wish to join hands in the common purpose. Toward this
end, I am designating the Administrator of Veterans’ Affairs as Chairman of a Veterans Day National Committee, which shall include
such other persons as the Chairman may select, and which will coordinate at the national level necessary planning for the observance. I am also requesting the heads of all departments and agencies of the executive branch of the Government to assist the National Committee in every way possible.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand and cause the al of the United States of America to be affixed. Done at the City of Washington this eighth day of October in the Year of our Lord nineteen hundred and fifty-four, and of the Independence of the
(SEAL) United States of America the one hundred and seventy-ninth.

DWIGHT D. EISENHOWER

>^,^<
KITTEN
Please tell your pants it’s not polite to point.

I’m ashamed to admit it, but I had forgotten about Veteran’s Day last Thursday. My father was a veteran, as were some of my brothers and sisters. I’m proud that they served our country and grateful that they never had to pay the ultimate price in their service.

Thank you for reminding me about our veterans, Ranger.

An overlooked but pithy and moving war poem is “For Johnny”, by John Pudney:

Do not depair for Johnny-head-in-air;
He sleeps as sound as Johnny underground.
Fetch out no shroud for Johnny-in-the-cloud,
And keep your tears for him in after years.

Better by far for Johnny-the-bright-star
To keep your head
And see his children fed.

Written just after the Battle of Britain in 1940 by Pudney, who was in the Royal Air Force.