Belgian Beers

I have just discovered them. It started off with kriek, then I tried a pomme, then moved away from the fruit lambics to saison, and am now having a love affair with Chimay Blanc and Chimay Grande Reserve.

here was also some other kind in there somewhere that I can’t recall the name of, but all have been delicious, and I would like to know your thoughts and opinions on them, as well as what to try next.

I’m most interested in trying a gueuze, personally. Or just a plain lambic without any fruits.

Duvel. Everything else is commentary.

Duvel’s near the top of my list, along with Chimay Rouge.

I just remembered I tried Hoegaarden last month, too, but thought it was only okay.

Orval.

I’m in love with Flanders red ales - currently on Duchess de Bourgogne, but also like Monk.

Look into Jolly Pumpkin, if you can get it in your area. American made but gives the Belgians a run for their money.

I invariably get at least one Mort Subite Framboise when I go to my favorite pub. It tastes like Fanta, but it’s a nice change of pace. It’s only shortcoming is that it’s a little too raspberry tasting, not beer tasting enough. But I enjoy it in small quantities.

I’ve not tried framboise yet, despite loving fruit lambics in general. I am just not a fan of raspberry.

Likewise, Allagash from Portland, Maine - awesome Belgian-style beers and clever variations on those themes.

I would like to take this opportunity to pimp my favorite brewery Unibroue. They are the makers of many fine Belgian Style beers including, La Fin Du Monde (possibly my favorite beer), Maudite, Trois Pistoles, and Don de Dieu.

This may be beer heresy, but I find Duvel too deep and rich, if that’s possible.

I can get some of the St. Bernardus line in my area, and really love the Tripel.

If you ever happen to be in the Cooperstown, NY area, visit the Ommegang Brewery. Belgian-style, but quite good at what they do. I have also seen their offerings in some of the markets around here so they may be getting more widely distributed.

The Mort Subite itself is one of the coolest bars on Earth (my favorite is the peach lambic) and it’s my first stop on any visit to Brussels—Another excellent Belgian brew is De Koninck, (brewed in Antwerp) which is a light brown color with a clean finish which allows for several refills over the course of an evening. :slight_smile:

The Saison I had was the Ommegang Hennepin, which was sold at a liquor store here in Tennessee. It was delicious.

Westmalle Tripel and Dubbel.

You’re welcome.

Welcome. I find that St. Bernardus Abt. 12 is just as good as the nigh unobtainable Westvleteren 12. Also, Rochefort 10. I’m into quads mostly, but Duvel is also delicious – plus Duvel makes the Worlds Best Beer Glass. Seriously. I was a doubting Thomas, but once I received a free Duvel tulip, I was converted.

Also, I’ll throw in an honorable mention for Ommegang’s Three Philosophers. American-made Belgian style beers are really taking off in the craft world.

How about Stella Artois?
:smiley:

For what it’s worth, a draught Stella Artois in Brussels is pretty tasty, (to my tastes it’s much superior than the Stella sold in North America) and on occasion a welcome respite from another heavy Trappist brew.

That said, I like the pils or lager styles as much as any other single beer variety—It takes a lot of skill to make a tasty, satisfying “clear beer” as there is not a lot of room to hide an inferior product behind heavy flavoring.

A good Belgian Trappist beer is always satisfying, but for me, after a few rounds of Westmalle or Chimay, a Stella Artois is a nice change…

We need to party, people. I have this dream of beering and chocolate-ing my way across Belgium. Who wants to ride shotgun?

I have an empty bottle of thison my desk as we speak. Quite tasty.

Me! MEeeeeeeeee!

I’ll just add a few others: Delirium Tremens, Bush (both varieties), La Chouffe blon’de.