Bernie hates Obama so he's a racist

In last night’s debate Hillary made her point very clear, she worships the ground Obama walks on but Bernie doesn’t so ‘black people’ shouldn’t vote for him. She admits that maybe she once upon a time disagreed with Obama on some policy issue but she’s never said a harsh word about him personally because he’s the best president we ever had and how dare Bernie criticize him about anything?

Now she did manage to close with a positive message. I don’t have the exact wording so I’ll have to paraphrase here:

"When I am elected the first woman president the skies will open, the light will come down, celestial choirs will be singing and everyone will know we should do the right thing and the world will be perfect,” she said dryly as the crowd erupted.

I didn’t watch the debate. Find an exact quotation to explain what you are complaining about.

(Some could say that Bernie is he one predicting miracles if he’s elected. But I’m sure he’s not racist. He just hasn’t had to deal with Those People in his cute little white state.)

Her actual closing statement:

Not a bad closing for such a mediocre public speaker as Hillary. Mild jab at Bernie, lofty ambition, good shots at bad Republicans, hope and change.

Perhaps if you want to comment on the debate you should watch it first.

But then again I suppose watching it won’t make any difference to you.

Anyone who has any sort of negative opinion about Obama is a racist. Obama’s greatness is such that it’s inconceivable that anyone would deny it unless they hated all African-Americans.

IOW, there are a lot of people who are in general receptive to the above - it’s nothing new. And as long as a line of attack works, it’s going to be used in when the chips are down.

The OP almost inspired me to pit Sanders supporters who engage in nasty pointless vitriol against their primary opponent. But then I read the second post in the thread, and now I’m just despairing.

Why? I didn’t say Bernie is racist. I’m pretty damn sure he is not. He hasn’t had a history of courting the non-white vote because of Vermont’s demographics. But his heart is in the right place.

Making sausage is unpleasant business. Choosing the sausage makers is even worse.

Bridget, you chose “Those People” as a phrase for a reason. You said “cute little white state” for a reason. Do you really expect me to believe you were innocent in word choice and capitalization?

C’mon. Ear, raining, etc.

Tripolar, if you can only make sausage by being unpleasant, may I suggest you make a different dish?

Saying nasty things about one’s primary opponent is not a necessary part of this process. You don’t have to do it.

Which is ironic considering back in the Sixties he got arrested for protesting segregated housing whilst Hillary was out canvassing for Barry Goldwater.

Must I say again that I’m quite sure Bernie is not a racist? His political career since his youth has not involved courting the black vote–because there isn’t one in Vermont.

A few of his followers have shown dismay that African-Americans don’t appreciate him. They aren’t racists, either. Just privileged.

Totally. It’s like not having any knowledge that Obama is a Muslim. His heart may be in the right place, but is his pretty little head?

Hillary knows she can’t win the primary or the general without a big minority turnout in her favor. I admire Bernie for trying to stay above the fray on race pandering. He has a vision that he believes will lift everyone. I disagree with his vision, but at least he’s consistent and genuine.

Honestly, if you want to have a discussion about what Hillary supposedly said about Bernie’s supposed racism, you might want to actually provide a quote, and not just your biased paraphrasing. Otherwise this looks more like a Pit thread than a discussion worthy of Elections.

Excuse me, are you asking us to debate whether or not you made a bunch of stuff up? If so, I’ll go way out on a limb and say, yes, it looks like you made a bunch of stuff up.

They don’t appreciate him because they don’t know him, but despite Hillary’s canvassing of the Black community, Sanders political message I believe is more resonant with the needs and wants of the Black vote than Hillary’s ever will be.

Who’s said this? I hear this criticism a lot about defenders of Obama, but I’m not sure if I’ve ever actually seen it “in the wild”.

I’ve only heard it coming from the Clinton campaign. Dividing the Democratic party along ‘racial lines’ is her Southern Strategy.

Very good Quick Draw, but I didn’t make it up entirely. The paraphrase is from Hillary Clinton criticizing Barak Obama for his lofty goals in the 2008 election. But let’s not let the facts get in the way of Hillary’s undying loyalty to Barak Obama and her lifelong pursuit of his policies.

New to this forum huh?