Bernie hates Obama so he's a racist

He reminds me of my grandfather a little bit. And maybe a high school math teacher, some college professors, people like that.

I think Bernie is more superficially credible with middle-income white America than you expect.

Is it weird that I didn’t get where you were going with the pretentious not-Obama quote? Nor, apparently, did anyone else who commented in this thread!

OK, I get it now.

None -some occupying all the middle ground - all
Words like primarily and overwhelming are significantly weighted towards being closer to the all end of the scale than the none end. I did specify FP’s point was hyperbolic and I wan’t arguing all. I also don’t agree that “some” paints an accurate picture of the reality of voter opinion. Politicians, while maintaining sufficient wiggle room, play to the electorate.

Not remotely. Aside from pedantic bickering about FPs point which I acknowledged was hyperbolic, there’s a real theme. About 1 in 3 American voters attribute racism as the primary reason to oppose Obama’s policies. In their minds racism explains more than any other cause. This Atlantic article points out that Bill Clinton faced quite a bit of over the top partisan opposition (Reminder: Not All Republican Opposition to Obama Is Racist)

Aside from the most overt racism sorting out the rest gets in to squishier judgement calls. Opposition to both Clinton and Obama has been over the top from the right. That makes sorting out where in the some region we fall extremely difficult with any kind of certainty. Yet there seems to be that certainty in a good chunk of the American electorate. To wave away that theme, and that politicians will play to it while maintaining wiggle room, simply because it’s not “all” is as wrong as claiming it’s “all.”