Best #1 single of the year retrospective: 1958 (Fixed poll version)

Well, in the two polls we’ve done so far, we’ve seen Elvis come out on top each time (more decisively so in '57 than in '56.) Let’s move on to 1958 - a year in which (horror of horrors!) Elvis was only on top of the charts for one week, and see what happens. It was in August 1958 that Billboard’s top singles chart officially became known as the Hot 100, and Billboard considers “Poor Little Fool” the first #1 single of the Hot 100 era, but as discussed in prior threads, we’re covering the entire year.

So, out of these eighteen songs to make it to #1 that year, which is your favorite?

Previous polls: 1955-56 1957 2012 2013

In descending order, these would have been the ones I would have been on the “listen out” for on the radio:

The Everly Brothers: “All I Have To Do Is Dream”

Perez Prado & His Orchestra - “Patricia”
Domenico Mudugno - “Nel Blu Dipinto Di Blu (Volare)”

The Kingston Trio - “Tom Dooley”

The Champs: “Tequila”
The Coasters: “Yakety Yak”

The rest weren’t particularly on my radar.

That’s a tough one. Some fun songs in there like Yakety Yak and Get a Job, but for quality of voice and song-writing, it’s a tie between Twilight Time, and It’s All in the Game, with the Everlys coming in next.

If you’d asked me at the time, my two-year-old self would have enthusiastically chosen “Witch Doctor.” Decades later I watched a two-year-old niece react enthusiastically to “Yakety Yak” (which she sang as “Yakety yak, don’t come back!”), which is my choice today.

Ever since I saw Room in Rome, the song “Volare” has been on my personal Top 40. I voted for “Volare.”

While you’re doing these polls by year, I suggest a couple of “just before the dam broke” years: 1968 (before Woodstock) and 1963 (before Beatles), and any other “end of period” years worth noting.

I was 8 in 1958 and have loved this song with a passion to this day. My mother bought the 45 for me, making it one of the three first records in my lifelong collection. I still have that 45 although a million and playings rendered it unlistenable long ago. Got the original vinyl album 20 years ago, then found the “best surviving recording” on CD.

Distant second place: “Patricia”; can’t get enough of that percussive organ.

I was 8 in 1958 and have loved this song with a passion to this day. My mother bought the 45 for me, making it one of the three first records in my lifelong collection. I still have that 45 although a million and playings rendered it unlistenable long ago. Got the original vinyl album 20 years ago, then found the “best surviving recording” on CD. It gets played quite often.

Distant second place: “Patricia”; can’t get enough of that percussive organ.

Third: TEQUILA !!

Can’t vote against Leiber and Stoller.

I wonder how much action a thread devoted either to Perez Prado or to “single name females” might get.

Prado came to my attention with CHERRY PINK AND APPLE BLOSSOM WHITE 1955 (from a Jane Russell movie BTW) and continued to provide some great Latin music for years.

That second category includes:

Laura
Ruby
Vanessa
and probably dozens more. Maybe even (for some) Tammy!

I could even enjoy a thread devoted to whatever category TEQUILA fits in!

Not nearly as many essential rock ‘n’ roll tunes on this chart as the last two.

I can’t vote for any of the novelty tunes, much as they may be fun. Though “Tequila” is far more than a novelty tune…it’s one of the great instrumentals, and proves the adage that you can catch lightning in a bottle sometimes with spontaneity just as easily as toiling for hours.

Again, I’ll pass by the non-rock ‘n’ roll stuff. The obvious choice is probably “All I Have to Do Is Dream,” and it’s an undoubtedly great song…though I’m just a little burned out on it from having sung it countless times over the years.

So it’s unusual that I’m left with mostly ballads to choose from. I quite like The Teddy Bears and Conway Twitty tunes, but in the end I voted for “Don’t”…an Elvis song that never seems to get much notice.

I like the concept of the song and the gravitas Elvis brings to it with his vocals. And finally, it’s the Jordanaires’ finest moment on an Elvis record.

Song from list I never heard of: “Patricia.”*

Songs I can do without hearing ever again: Tom Dooley; The Chipmunk Song; Nel Blu Whatever (Volare); Purple People Eater.

Songs I like: To Know Him is to Love Him; Poor Little Fool; All I Have to Do is Dream; Get a Job; Little Star; Witch Doctor; Tequila.

Songs I love: Twilight Time; Don’t; Yakety Yak; It’s All in the Game; Only Make Believe.

Song I voted for: Twilight Time (though if it weren’t on the list, I would have voted for “Don’t” which is one of my favorite Elvis songs ever.)
*l listened to it on you tube just now, and it’s a catchy tune.

There may be better songs, but Conway’s vocal was a classic.

To me, a no-brainer: *All I Have to Do Is Dream.

Oh, we’ll get there. I’m doing this in chronological order because I find it an interesting way to look at the evolution of pop music over the years, and because I’m especially curious what older posters remember and think of the stuff that came before my time.

I voted for “All I Have to Do Is Dream,” which I got to see Phill and Don perform together 9 years ago, when they were “special guests” of Simon and Garfunkel.

They really DID sound as good as ever. Phil remained a remarkable high harmony singer to the end.

In this case at least, the Everlys RULE.

I knew I left something out. “At the Hop” belongs on my “Like” list.

Everly Brothers, followed by The Platters.