Best #1 Song of the Year: 2023

It was the best of years. It was the worst of years.

It was the year of Tay-Tay. It was the year of Morgan Wallen.

It was the year country came back. It was the year of astroturfed “own the libs” songs.

It was the year of new sounds. It was the year five songs from previous years made #1, including a new record-breaker for the longest time between a song’s release and its topping the chart.

It was 2023.

Now it’s 2024 - ten years since I did my year-by-year poll series. This year, since most of those poll results were lost in the move to Discourse, I think I’m gonna do it again so I can recollect all that lost data before the rest of you alterkockers kick the bucket.

19 songs made the top of the charts this year. (Yes, Mariah Carey is STILL on the list.) Pick your favorite, keep your head on the ground, and keep reaching for the stars.

• Taylor Swift - “Anti-Hero”
  • Miley Cyrus - “Flowers”
  • The Weeknd w/ Ariana Grande - “Die For You”
  • Morgan Wallen - “Last Night”
  • Jimin - “Like Crazy”
  • SZA - “Kill Bill”
  • Olivia Rodrigo - “Vampire”
  • Jungkook w/ Latto - “Seven”
  • Jason Aldean - “Try That In A Small Town”
  • Oliver Anthony - “Rich Men North Of Richmond”
  • Zach Bryan w/ Kacey Musgraves - “I Remember Everything”
  • Doja Cat - “Paint the Town Red”
  • Drake w/ SZA - “Slime You Out”
  • Drake w/ J. Cole - “First Person Shooter”
  • Taylor Swift - “Cruel Summer”
  • Taylor Swift - “Is It Over Now? (Taylor’s Version)”
  • Jack Harlow - “Lovin’ On Me”
  • Brenda Lee - “Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree”
  • Mariah Carey - “All I Want For Christmas Is You”
0 voters

Keep your feet on the ground, I hope you meant.

Just as clarification … this is one of those “best song in known universe” based on US pop charts only World Series type of things, no? Carry on.

Yes. These polls are based off the Billboard Hot 100.

Cast my vote for O-Rod. I’d like her a lot more if she could write a song without swearing. She sounds like a child who discovered naughty words and can’t stop using them when the parents aren’t around, just to show everyone how “grown up” she is. I mean, I’m no prude and I’ve got no problem with a well-placed lyrical F-bomb, but come on, Liv, try harder. Still gets my vote for song of the year.

“Kill Bill” is quite easily the highest-rated song in the world-famous Ponch8 Music Rating System, not counting “Anti-Hero,” which I already voted for last year and therefore didn’t consider for this year. Big thumbs down to the less-than-courageous radio stations that edit out the word “kill” when they play the song. I might have voted for Olivia Rodrigo if her entry was “Get Him Back!”, a superior song to “Vampire.”

Tied for dead-ass last are the fucking hillbilly shit and the worthless Mariah Carey shit.

Whoops! Casey Kasem would be disappointed with me.

I went with “Is It Over Now?”, my favorite of Tay-Tay’s #1s this year. I could’ve also gone with “Die For You” because everytime the Weeknd and Ariana team up they’re great, but it’s no “Love Me Harder”. I could’ve even considered “Rich Men North of Richmond” if not for that part where he loses the plot and starts attacking welfare recipients. I’m glad Anthony rejected the MAGA cultists trying to appropriate his song, at least.

My honorable mention for this year goes to Luke Combs’ cover of “Fast Car”, which doesn’t really change anything from the original (and good on him for not changing the singer’s gender) but is a great version and has introduced it to a lot of people who never heard the original. It topped the country charts, but only made it to #2 on the Hot 100 and would’ve been my pick if it made #1.

I haven’t heard every song on the list, but I’ve heard a lot of them, and I like vampire and voted for it. But cruel Summer is pretty good too.

I voted for “Vampire”, but if either “Fast Car” or “get him back!” would have been my choices if they had been eligible.

I love the wordplay on Rodrigo’s song - when I first heard it being introed I wondered “will this be around revenge or reconciliation?” - turned out it was both! - and I’m really hoping for a Combs/Chapman duet at Joe Biden’s second inaugural…

Lordy, do I feel old. I’m only familiar with five of the songs listed, and two of those are oldies (Brenda Lee and Mariah). I voted for Anti-Hero but could have just as easily picked All I Want for Christmas is You.