Best (and Worst) Superhero TV Shows?

The Great American Hero…technically, it was loosely based on Superman, so I still say it counts!

Worst? Hmmmm…Nightman was pretty damn horrible, but personally, I think the live-action Tick show blew hard! It wasn’t really a bad show per-se, but it was just such a terrible bastardization of one of (if not THE) greatest animated comic book hero adaptations. Superheroes on their off-time = good idea; Already established superhero that’s all about fighting crime and for justice not fighting crime and for justice = bad.

Animated, I’d say either the Tick or Batman: The Animated Series for the best.

Worst? Too damn many Marvel cartoons from the 70s (Hulk and Thor, for example). Single cell animation with just the important bits moving…just really bad.

Heretic! I loved that show. It was hysterical. Bat Manuel is my own personal lord and savior. Bah, “blew hard” indeed.

Nah, John Shea was Lex. Balki Bartokomous was “The Prankster”.

And no, I’m pretty sure he didn’t die laughing.

Pity. :slight_smile:

“Is it dirt or is it oil?”

“I don’t know, it’s…BOMB”

Funny, maybe, but George Reeves never needed laundry advice!

I was too lazy to dig up my copy of Mad Love. :wink:

You mean “The Greatest American Hero”. :slight_smile: Awesome theme song, too.

I’ll disagree that it was based on Superman, though – aside from the “how to fly” gag in the pilot episode (“You need to take three steps and jump, just like Superman does”), Ralph’s powers were less of a Superman parody and more of a riff on generic superheroics. At least, I don’t remember Superman being able to shrink to ant-sized, the way Ralph did (once).

Thing ring… do your thing!

There were some very, very, very bad animated shows…

But live action… uh. I kind of liked Isis, I liked Flash a lot.

MANTIS… Viper… Aha!

Team Knight Rider.

Best: Once a Hero. One of the funniest and most entertaining superhero shows ever, but cancelled after only three episodes due to low ratings it didn’t deserve (they recast the lead at the last minute, which got word out it was a disaster, and quite a few affilitates panicked and never showed it).

The concept was that Captain Justice who realize his adventures are beginning to repeat themselves, and travels to the real world to talk with his creator, Abner Bemis. Captain Justice has no power in the real world, though, and is forced to adjust to a world where people can’t fly. It’s both a sendup of superheroes and a loving tribute to them. There are great in-jokes (needing quickly to make up a new last name, CJ chooses “Kent”, a character saying to a woman reports, “Lois Lane you’re not.”). Nice sendups of cliches (Kid is getting shaken down for protection money in school. Mouths off to the main bully after he pays. Bully’s minion slaps kid. Bully slaps his minion and gives kid a rebate. “He paid, so he doesn’t get hit.”).

Best in-joke: the fourth (never aired) episode. It was supposed to be about CJ meeting an actor who had become famouse playing CJ on TV and was sick and tired of always being identified with the role.

The part was played by Adam West. Great show.

There’s a synopsis of the first episode here.

Worst: The cheaply animated superhero cartoons of the 60s: Superfriends, Spider-man (though the theme song was good), Captain America (OK theme song, too – they must have spent their entire budget on paying for the theme songs for these), etc.

What, you children never heard of Mister Terrific or Captian Fantastic ?

um, they’d be filed in the worst catagory

The best? 1960’s Batman ! beats 'em all by a mile.

I believe you are refering to Captain Nice who was played by William Daniels. And I would definately agree that one or the other of these (they were both Batman ripoffs) would fall into the worst category. But I sure would love to see them again.

For the best, add another vote to Batman: TAS along with it’s two follow ups, Gotham Knights and Batman Beyond. When you watch these, read the credits to see who provides the voices. You’d be amazed at the talent they rounded up for these.

I too loved the Greatest American Hero. It was intelligently written and had a delightful tongue-in-cheek quality.

For worst I would vote for Nightman. It had great potential, but that’s pretty much where it stopped.

Best animated was a toss up between the Tick and Super Chicken.

I know it’s not permitted to say this, but I think the worst was Spaceghost.

TV

Um. Batman: TAS gets another vote in the ‘freaking brilliant’ category.

At the other end of the spectrum…how about My Hero? With that git from Father Ted? I’ve recently discovered this on the BBC America and it’s unspeakably horribly dreadful. And also not funny. Eeew.

New & Improved Scott, I have to agree with you on all accounts. And although Birds of Prey was a gigantic disappointment, I could not stop myself from tuning in each week. And Harley in the finale was more than cool.

In regards to the B:tAS and Harley discussion (yes, I adore her), she is definitely the greatest thing to come from that series. It is unfortunate that she is not compelling enough to keep her own comic book series alive. Last I heard, it had been cancelled. I still love her to pieces, though.

I don’t think Harley can really make it in the “mainstream” DC universe; she needs an environment that’s a bit off-kilter to really work.

And having Paul Dini write her stuff is mandatory, especially since she was based off of his girlfriend. :smiley:

No takers on Smallville?

Best: Batman, The Animated Series.

Worst: Birds of Prey.

:smack:

D’oh! I forgot to mention the best of the best…

Herculoids
Space Ghost the original

my personal favorite…
Jonny Quest

and honorable mention goes to…

The Max Fliescher studios Popeye cartoons!

Smallville has much potential (Clark is starting to think like the Silver Age Superman! “If Kryptonite hurts me, and I’m from Krypton, then it must also hurt this Kryptonian machine!”), especially in teh Lex/Clark relationship.

However, it also veers to close to the pit of teen meoldrama, with the Chloe/Lana/Clark triangle.

It could still go either way, and thus, at this point, is neither the best nor the worst.

B:tAS is teh best, followed shortly by Batman Beyond (I remember being skeptical when i heard the premise. Burce Wayne retired? A teen Batman in the furture? But it’s great! And true to the characters as developed in B:tAS).

Best SuperHero TV Show: Angel, didnt see it mentioned before, and after last season its far better then Buffy.

Worst SuperHero TV Show: Nightman, second vote for it, its complete crap!

Smallville falls somewhere in the middle…

Not a full-time series, but Electra Woman and Dyna Girl made my prepubescent pants go crazy!

[crickets]

Ok, how about The Man from Atlantis? It had Patrick Duffy as an amphibious, “Sub-Mariner” type hero.

[more crickets]

Alright–for real now–the best ever superhero series was Manimal!

[even the crickets are silent now]

Well then those are my votes for worst superhero series!

Well, I personally think that X-Men: Evolution ain’t too shabby.

Then, of course, there’s Fox’s Iron Man—well, the theme song was cool, at least.