Best hippie music of all time

[NOTE: If you don’t like hippie music, go away. Scat! Don’t clutter up my thread. Thank you.]

It’s time for another edition of Gary’s Fun With Playlists. Today, we’ll be building a list of the best hippie music of all time. Let me define my terms before we begin:

“Best” - Most representative of the genre while still being enjoyable enough to have on a playlist.

“Hippie music” - You walk into a room with a bunch of old hippies wearing tie-dye and sitting around a hookah. What’s playing on the stereo?

“Of all time” - Hippie music did not end in 1969. Feel free to suggest music from the 70s or even newer if it fits the vibe.

Please comment on other people’s suggestions, too. I will take the songs from this thread and build a poll out of them when we have enough.

[ANOTHER NOTE: I’m looking for songs. Not albums, not artists, not concerts. Songs.]

I’ll start:

[ul]
[li]Age of Aquarius by the 5th Dimension[/li][li]Shambala by Three Dog Night[/li][li]Where Have All the Flowers Gone? by the Kingston Trio[/li][li]Hair from the musical[/li][li]One Toke Over the Line by Brewer & Shipley[/li][/ul]

Spirit: Great Canyon Fire and Elijah.

The Grateful Dead
Early Simon & Garfunkel
Pink Floyd
Jethro Tull

*San Francisco (Be Sure to Wear Flowers in Your Hair) *as performed by Scott McKenzie

Summertime–Janis Joplin

Truckin’–Grateful Dead

Love the One You’re With–Stephen Stills, or one of the more popular cover versions

The ultimate hippie band: Mother Earth, or any other band Mike Bloomfield played with

Goin’ Up the Country - Canned Heat

Well, there’s mine too.

Wear Your Love Like Heaven - Donovan

“Inna Gadda da Vida” was the first song that popped in my head.

Jonie Mitchell - Clouds, Free Man in Paris, Twisted, Ladies of the Canyon

One minute! That didn’t take long.

Somebody to Love - Jefferson Airplane

CSN&Y - Suite Judy Blue Eyes, Ohio

White Rabbit, Somebody to Love - Jefferson Airplane

Saint Stephen/The Eleven - Grateful Dead

In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida - Iron Butterfly

Incense and Peppermints by Strawberry Alarm Clock.

Modern quasi-hippie song: No Rain by Blind Melon always had a hippie vibe (to me).

Ripple…Grateful Dead

One toke over the Line…Brewer & Shipley

Blowin’ in the Wind…Dylan or the Peter, Paul & Mary version

Four Strong Winds…Ian & Sylvia*

*This one has transcended hippiedom and become a bona fide folk classic, but I still think of it that way. Also my own personal all-time favorite song.

Tomorrow Never Knows
Within You, Without You

Local Heroes

The Elevators, Man: The Kingdom Of Heaven & Slip Inside This House

Doug Sahm: At The Crossroads & Texas Me (From live performances; we had the records but & actually went out to hear live music, too.) These tunes were originally recorded during Doug’s California Exile.

Red Krayola:Free Form Freakout (Houston weirdos!)

Shiva’s Headband: Kaliedescoptic (Austin weirdos!)

And Lightnin’

Because they were Far Out!

The Fugs: Nothing

Country Joe & The Fish:Section 43

The Airplane: Saturday Afternoon/Won’t You Try

Because We Loved Them

The Youngbloods: Darkness, Darkness (from Elephant Mountain; with Charlie Daniels on fiddle, proving that he was not always a douchebag)

Love: Andmoreagain (from Forever Changes)

I could go on…

Who’ll Stop The Rain; I Heard It Through The Grapevine- Creedence Clearwater Revival

Cool – I mean, “groovy.” There are a lot of great suggestions here. Keep 'em coming.

I can’t decide which is the “hippier” version of Blowing in the Wind. I lean a bit toward Dylan’s, but I think I like Peter, Paul & Mary’s better.

What would be the best hippie song from Pink Floyd’s “Dark Side of the Moon” album? I’m thinking Time.

:dubious: