Best Seattle restaurants?

Oh, and we call Buca de Bepo “Bucket of Poop-o”. Don’t go there. It’s Olive Garden with different decor.

Note that you know NOTHING about a greens salad, though your input regarding a Jello salad can be valuable, unless you start glopping on the Miracle Whip. :frowning:

Oops, sorry, didn’t pay close enough attention to the OP. Of the four I mentioned, I would suggest Poppy. They have a unique approach to their menu. They do Indian thalis.

You don’t go to McDonald’s for a great burger, but sometimes you go to McDonalds. Buca di Beppo isn’t great Italian food (I had better in Italy), but it tastes good and is filling. You just have to accept it for what it is.

My mom made a Jell-O salad, from a recipe an aunt clipped in the '50s. Lemon Jell-O, lime Jell-O, diced red apples, diced green apples, chopped walnuts, cottage cheese, and Miracle Whip.

Looked disgusting. Tasted pretty good.

Realizing I’m too late to advise for tonight, but…

Among my foodie, not-terribly-rich friends I’ve heard the most raves about **Monsoon **and Sitka & Spruce.

My wife and I are vegetarians (another reason I can’t easily advise on restaurants, I guess) and so we really like **Carmelita **and Araya Thai, and sometimes we like Cafe Flora.

Comfort places include Cafe Lago and St. Cloud’s.

*Love *Le Pichet and Cafe Presse as well as 611 Supreme.

Yeah, but it belongs away from our national corners, where furriners might see it. Offer it in the Midwest.

I agree with this. And judging by lissener’s bad experience maybe he should have gone there! (ha ha?)

Nah, I agree that di beppo is not a place to bring a foodie. But, it is a fun place to eat generic italian food. If you are in South Philly or in North Beach avoid it. But, if you are out in the suburbs and want to take a group to a place that is pretty likely to offer something everyone likes from old to young alike it is worth it.

I’m down with that. But there is always an inexplicably long line at Buca di Beppo. If you’re gonna be mediocre, at least be convenient.

What, no love for Tilth?

I adore Cafe Flora :slight_smile:

Sorry, I moved away from Seattle 2 years ago and didn’t know Veil had closed. I’ve heard good things about Poppy, but have never been.

Buca di Beppo is a chain restaurant out of Minneapolis, now owned by Planet Holllywood. 'nuf said.

For a light lunch, any foodie would die at Serious Pie - Tom Douglas’s take on pizza.

I love Lunchbox Laboratory. A friend organized a trip for about 8 of us, when it first opened. On our way out there, it started to snow fairly heavily. When we got there, we found out that their wiring had been installed incorrectly- they could only run the stove vents when the AC was running. It was actually COLDER inside than outside! We all had to huddle in our coats and jackets while we ate… and it was still probably the best burger I’ve ever had. I highly suggest the Dork Burger (half duck, half pork).

I can also suggest Jak’s Grill. Probably the best steak I’ve ever had, and not too expensive. I usually went to the Issaquah location. They don’t do reservations, and they fill up fast, so get there early.

Oh, another really neat place to go is Pasta Freska, close to downtown. No menu- the owner comes out and asks you if you’ve got any food allergies or any preferences, and then the food just starts coming out. The eggplant is amazing. Kinda pricey, but easily worth it.

Cool thread! I just moved to the Seattle area. Well, Tacoma actually though well don’t go to Seattle that often.

Are these the top end expensive restaurants? If not, can I ask where to get a good bowl of at least halfway authentic Ramen in Seattle?

I like Boom Noodle, but cannot vouch for its level of authenticity.

I work about a block or two from there. My boss and coworker took me to lunch there for my birthday once. I can’t complain about the food, though it isn’t PIZZA!. I mean, it is; but it’s not ‘pizza’ pizza. Don’t get me wrong; the pizza was tasty. It just seemed a bit yuppified.

My regular haunts are Buckley’s on 2nd (burgers and pub grub – try the Manny’s Pale Ale), Ohana on 1st (I get the beef teriyaki – comes with Hawaiian macaroni and potato salad), or Bell Thai (be careful, or they won’t make it hot enough).

I, and my wife, would wholeheartedly second Serious Pie

Ah, my old stomping grounds. Where in Tacoma?

I went to Cutter’s Bayhouse for lunch today, and had the Smoked Salmon Penne ‘Fast Break’ lunch. It’s $15, and I had a $15 (or $500 – NOT!) gift card. Since I was going to get off cheap, I also had some flying fish roe sushi. The lunch came with a choice of BLT salad, Caesar salad, miso soup, or smoked salmon chowder. I chose the BLT salad.

The salad was pretty good. Maybe it didn’t need the walnuts and filberts, but they were OK. Before the salad came the sushi. I concluded that flying fish roe doesn’t taste like anything. The pasta had an alfredo sauce with smoked salmon in it. It tasted a bit fishy – not ‘salmon-fishy’, but ‘fishy’ fishy. Not overly objectionable, but I was aware of it. It was also a bit salty.

I’ll go back. See, after I used my gift card I came back to the office and registered it as a rewards card. Registration puts another $15 (or $500 – guess which I got?) on it.