Best smelling cologne - a poll for the ladies

Thank you all for your responses. It seems like I’m going to end up smelling like somebody’s (ex-)SO, but I guess that’s okay. I mean it’s not as if you went out with them because they stank, right?

So, Tequila (I love your SN, by the way), do you think I can work this into a pick up line somehow?

Never mind, it’s evidently not necessary. :smiley:

Ahem! Not to interrupt or anything here, but Tequila had another bit of great advice. (Intelligent, great name and winsome all at once…now separate just long enough so I can praise a point she made, m’kay?

She right; it all depends on body chemistry. Something that smells great on one person may smell horrible on another. Shower well, hit the stores, sniff some likely choices then try out just a titch on a wrist here, an elbow there, a forearm, etc. Just try a few finalists; you don’t want to smell like the grim morning-after a debauched night in a Shanghai cathouse.

Then walk around for a while. Kill time, at least a half hour. THEN sniff your designated choices. Hint: take notes. “Was this elbow Drakkar or was my wrist Curve…?” Becoming babe-bait is worth a little scientific method.

That said, I hope one of 'em might be Aramis. Worn very lightly, I love that stuff. Used to sneak some for myself when the Ex was around. It’s…I dunno…clean smelling, not too heavy, just nicely complex.

Okay. Done now. Go back to admiring Tequila. Dang, wish I’d thought of that name first!

Veb

Hugo. Hugo. Hugo. Hugo.

It drives me absolutely insane, to the point where my boyfriend is hesitant to wear it if we’re gonna be out with people (especially family) because he’s afraid I’ll just jump him in front of them!

My wife likes me to wear Stetson. She liked it on a guy she had an affair with, and has been buying it ever since.

(Thats ok though…years ago I got her into wearing Ciara. Reminded me of a gal I had an affair with! Boy was she pissed when I told her! She still wears it though! She’s a good woman!)

This has been mentioned before, but it bears mentioning again - NOT TOO MUCH of any scent (men and women). If you’re looking to attract the ladies, the correct amount of scent (according to the people who know these kinds of things) is enough so that a woman standing close to you can smell it, but people further away can’t. No Pepe Le Peau’s need apply.

Some of my favorites are Safari,Hugo Boss, and there is one I’m not sure who it is by but it has the pie symbol on it (does anyonel know what this is called?). I hate when a man piles on the cologne, it must be worn in moderation.

4711, it smells clean, not flowery or musky. Just for the record, I am a guy, but my SO (a woman) likes it too.

Veb made mention of one of the most important things of all.

You must allow a cologne to “burn off” before attempting to assess its basic qualities. Just like perfumes, colognes are highly dependent upon the body chemistry of the wearer. When applying it, be sure to rub the area to accellerate the evaporation. Make sure to let the cologne stabilize before trying to gauge your opinion of it.

Another factor that must be considered is that some aerosol spray propellants affect the “burn off” and the overall bouquet as well. For that reason I will only buy Eau De Toilette in a pure liquid form. A pump spray delivers it just fine.

All of that said, my personal favorite (mentioned briefly above) is Yves St. Laurent’s Kouros. Since I discovered it twenty years ago it is the only one that I will wear. It has a nice balance of musk with wood notes instead of the typical floral overtones that are usually more reminiscent of a French cat house.

As said before, use any colonge sparingly. I tend to apply a small dab at the back of my neck. This makes it so I don’t have to breathe it all day and lessens the impact upon people who are sensitive as well.

Over semester break, this winter, I worked at the local Kaufmann’s depratment store and spent a majority of my time working the men’s fragrance counter. (I loved it!)
Here are my suggestions based on hundreds of observations.

If you are a more darkly complected and have oily skin:
Scents last very long on you, and might become more musky over time. Unless you
want to smell like the proverbial “French Whorehouse”
stay away from scents like Obsession.
Things really good for you: Gucci Envy, Davidoff Goodlife or Coolwater.

Light complection, oily skin:
Scents last long on you, but have a tendency to sour.
Stay away from Drakkar Noir, Polo (and its derivatives) and Nautica.
Things really good for you: Eternity, Aqua di Gio and Ralph Lauren Romance.

Dark complection, dryer skin:
You can wear nearly anything.
Things really good for you: Lucky You, Curve and CK Contradiction.

Light complection, dryer skin:
You need stronger scents.
Be Bold… if you like the scent you can probably be the one to pull it off.
(a side note about women’s likes of colognes: there are a few very controversial ones, that a girl will either go crazy over how good you smell, or avoid you like you had garbage breath from hell. From the conversations that I overheard the most risky ones are Drakkar Noir, Safari and Emporio Armani.)

Good Luck!
~Mag

I prefer no cologne, although an ex of mine wore “Boucheron”? ( Sp? ) And it made me kinda crazy with lust.

I’ve always liked Farenheit by Christian Doir and Desire by Alfred Dunhill. Both are darker and musky, but not overpowering.
Diesel makes a nice one too, it smells kinda milky. I couldn’t wear it, couldn’t pull it off, but I had a friend who could.

Not necessary? Whatcha trying to say here? That maybe I need a new perfume? lol

Frickin’ A, magdalene, you are just chock full of information on everything!

Anyhow, allergies keep me from enjoying scents much, but my ex-boyfriend used to wear something called Sagamore that his dad got him in France. I don’t think you can get it in the states. Oooh la lay-me la!

mops brow with her mousepad

Nope, not that at all. Just that now that AudreyK is my official cologne sniffer, any integration of ‘hey sniff me, baby’ into my repetoir of hideous pickup lines seems wholly unnecessary. Thanks for all your advice, though (all of you). :slight_smile:

Oh, and Magdelene, forgive my ignorance, but what difference would one’s complexion have on the scent/effect of the cologne?

Gee you smell pretty… wanna smell meeee??

Wait a minute… I have an admirer?? Aw, shucks… (looks down, scuffing the dust on the floor with the toe of my sneaker)… Just in time for Valentine’s Day too? <blush>

I recently saw some silly newsmagazine program’s story about what scents attracted men and women. IIRC, the smell most women responded to was a combination of cucumbers and Good 'n Plenty candy.

Personally, I prefer Lagerfeld and would like to second **Veb’s ** mention of Aramis.

KKBattousai
Using complection and the oiliness factor of the skin is a very general way of assessing someone’s body chemistry. There are exceptions, of course, to these guidelines; but, I find using this method far outweighs me just saying that Gucci’s Envy is my favourite, and therefore it will be great on you…

~Magdelane

Magdelane, thanks for clearing that up. I should have guessed that body chemistry was somehow involved, but I guesss I’m just slow like that… :stuck_out_tongue: And you’re right, any guidelines that work reasonably well are better to go by than sheer preference. (That being said, your guidelines say I can wear anything. :))

Tequila, yes you do have an admirer. And due to the fact that you’re female (and, according to Veb, winsome), prepare to have a bunch more. :slight_smile: I’d send a valentine your way, but I really, really suck at the more tangible forms of correspondence… Sorry 'bout that.

And last, but definitely not least, Veb. What is there to say? Your SN is YOU. You don’t need, or want, anything else, whether you think it’s cuter or whatever. You know why, 'cause your a MODERATOR. And it’s better to be feared than loved. Just look at Uncle Beer. :slight_smile:
[sub]Oh geez, I’m going to pay for that one…[/sub]