BEST WESTERN...Not about motels

…I mean can you imagine Clint Eastwood walking around the US Southwest with a six-gun, all the while being called “Pussy?” AAAAAaahhhahahahahaaa!!!

Manko!
:smiley:

Lindy, hi again. I’m stalking you because you are living in my hometown.

Two character studies I’ve long admired are westerns -
3:10 to Yuma and Hombre in which Paul Newman is so cool.

Can’t believe no-one’s mentioned ‘Blazing Saddles’ !!

oh, ok… serious movies… ‘Pale Rider’ probably…

Oh.
“How you gonna get down that hill?”
May I change my vote?

An excellent book, too as I recall although I don’t read many westerns.

No shit! Well, that’s just :cool:

Well, that’s enough hijacking, I guess. I realized on further reading of the OP that DesertGeezer also asked for the biggest disappointment, but I don’t have one because I don’t watch many westerns, so I’m very selective about the ones I do watch.

Top honors go to the John Ford/John Wayne combos, like THE SEARCHERS and SHE WORE A YELLOW RIBBON and STAGECOACH and FORT APACHE and… I also admire MY DARLING CLEMENTINE enormously, echoing TV Time. Walter Brennan is such a wonderful, amazingly evil villain in that movie – such a departure from his typecasting.

I don’t think anyone has mentioned TWO RODE TOGETHER, one of Ford’s darker (later in life) movies, of enormous power and depth. There’s also CHEYENNE AUTUMN, about the oppression and mistreatment of the native Americans.

I think that THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALENCE is also right up at the top, not mentioned yet.

RED RIVER goes on any ten-best western list. And RIO BRAVO.

The Budd Boetticher/Randolf Scott movies are still very enjoyable; and Budd Boetticher passed away just a few months ago. Sigh.

And Anthony Mann flicks, like WINCHESTER 73 or THE TIN STAR.

I think both HIGH NOON and SHANE are overrated, and don’t much care for them.