Better Call Saul 2.04 "Gloves Off" 3/7/16

Lol.

Yeah, I’m with you. That level of nitpicking is beyond ridiculous.

Actually came out fall of 2005, in the Southwest region of the US, but yes definitely an anachronism… just plain laziness from Gilligan and Company

Nacho specifically told Mike that the reason they always sit at that table with Tuco looking out the window is not so Tuco can protect himself from people coming in, but to keep watch over his car. So it was a good bet to think Tuco would notice.

Ah, I missed that line.

I’m still trying to figure this out. The moment Mike decided not to kill Tuco was when he was looking at the bolt action rifle. It is obvious he is looking out for Nacho in some way, but why? Maybe trying to do something that he was unable to do for his son?

I figured that holding the same rifle he used in Vietnam made him change his mind about being able to kill. For the moment.

Yeah, I read it less as “looking out for Nacho” and more of “not wanting to murder for cash”. While we obviously know Mike has killed before, I suppose it’s still crossing a line, at least for him.

I absolutely loved Mike’s character in BB, and thought Jonathon Banks’ portrayal was beyond perfect. I never felt a need to judge him (I’d put him somewhere between True Neutral and Lawful Evil), and I hope they don’t retcon his character too much with this ethical wrestling stuff.

He also notably has the window blinds open in the daytime. Maybe he’s evolving.

I know, right?

Chuck’s “disease” is psychosomatic garbage but putting that aside, was sunlight as such ever a problem? I just thought the reason he didn’t go out was because of man made power lines etc, whether day or night. If he lived in a ghost town with no human technology anywhere near he wouldn’t have a problem being outside, right?

I thought Mike pretty much told Nacho that he wasn’t going to kill him because when the cartel saw someone killed they’d come looking in to it, if the got a hold of Nacho then they’d come looking for Mike. Mike’s smart enough to know that’s not going to go well for him.

That’s what he told Nacho. Neither Mike, Nacho or I believe it.

I think Kim dug her own grave with the ad - it was clearly so clearly not appropriate for the firm, and she knows Jimmy plays fast and loose with the rules. For his sake she should have stressed to him how out of character it was for H&M, and asked if he really got a full OK on it. She wouldn’t have to call him out, just explain how a firm like that trades on it’s image and how shocking this is. For her sake she should have mentioned it to the firm, and if not should have at least offered ‘Jimmy said that it was approved by the partners, so I didn’t think it was going to be a problem for us’ as a defense.

I’m surprised that Jimmy was as clueless about what the problem is as he was in the ‘called before the partners’ scene. While I can see him not getting the problem with the sleaziness of the ad, he should have realized that making an argument about how little he spent on it was not going to gain any traction at all - a firm with a switchable art collection, cocobolo desks, and company cars and housing isn’t going to be worried about spending a few grand on a professional ad. I like the way that the line “Sandpiper isn’t what keeps the lights on around here” calls back to the mystery switch with the “do not turn off” label - the firm doesn’t operate on any one case, they make their money by being a conservative team, and the lights stay on because no one even thinks about flipping the switch.

On Mike, I don’t think I’ve ever seen someone look like that much of a badass while getting their ass beat. The “is that all you got” line was the perfect way to be sure that Tuco went down by goading him to land a punch with the police watching. I really liked the gun dealer interacting with Mike, it’s so different than when Walt went to him in BB. He and Mike both know what they’re doing, and Mike essentially tells him what he’s doing and a significant piece of his history, while with Walt it was clear that he didn’t think Walt made any sense.

Great analysis! Although I must admit, I didn’t really see a problem with the ad, perhaps because I see them all the time on TV anyway. I thought it was cool how they used the lift in lieu of a dolly for camera movement.

Yeah Chuck’s issue is not with light or sun, but with electricity and the waves thereof.

No choice but to leave it. Might arouse a little suspicion as to how it got there, leading to answering hard questions before the Man.

That’s the feeling I got.

I wonder whether the line the partner said to Jimmy “Sandpiper’s not what keeps the lights on around here” was an intentional joke or not.

I think it had to be, they spent too much air time on the light switch in the earlier episode to forget about it when they were writing that dialogue.

Chuck’s mental illness is about electromagnetic waves from electric devices, his watch is presumably an entirely mechanical one so he wouldn’t worry about waves from it. I think Howard gets everyone to remove their watches because he knows that the illness is psychological, and so Chuck would get ‘sick’ from seeing a watch on someone that he thinks is electric, plus it’s just easier. I also think Chucks subconscious is as much of a control freak as his conscious mind is, and likes the fact that he ends up as the only person in the room who can tell what time it is.

I think more of the concern was an “image” type of thing. I perceive a great deal of hypocrisy in the way many attys/firms view solicitation/advertising/image/etc.

Whether you respect it or not, the Davis firm liked to view themselves as the type of firm who just doesn’t do “that sort of thing.” Of course, they wouldn’t be the first firm to perform all sorts of contortions when some terribly lucrative opportunity lands presents itself.

But there are some “boutique” firms, which pride themselves on discrete service to wealthy, elite clients. They make enough money serving their clientele, and wouldn’t wish to risk that by advertising.

Eh. I think there’s a difference between “I caught a slight anachronism… THESE WRITERS FAILED AND ARE STUPID AND THE SHOW IS TERRIBLE” and “I caught a slight anachronism, kinda funny… MAN this show is good”. I think most comments in this thread have been of the latter variety.
I totally didn’t recognize Krazy 8, glad other people are better with faces than I am.