Between my Kilt and me there is... nothing?

Someone told me that people from Scotland who use Tartan Skirts, wear nothing under the skirt. Is that true or is it a kind of urban legend?

True. Cecil on kilts.

I think if you were foolish enough to refer to their kilt as a “skirt” to any Scotsman, you would get informed of the correct name quite promptly & pointedly!

A Scotsman was asked what he wore under the kilt and he answered “your wife’s lipstick”. :slight_smile:

Your answer can be seen here.

I remember when that photo came out, in the mid-90s. I believe it was one of the Highland regiments stationed in Hong Kong, wasn’t it?

Q: “Is anything worn under the kilt?”

A: “No, it’s all in working order”

“What is under your kilt?”
“My shoes.”

If you wear any undergarments under your kilt, it is no longer a kilt but a skirt.

So You Are Going to Wear the Kilt, Revised 3rd Edition, by J. Charles Thompson, page 97.

It’s just anecdotal evidence, but one of my friends is from Scotland and she said that at her school dance a lot of the men were wearing kilts, and enough with nothing under them that it got embarassing.

Of course, we can establish what’s traditional (nothing) and what drunken students wear (nothing), but there’s still the middle ground of normal people :slight_smile:

I think you find “traditional” is what most “normal” people do, though. I had two kilted gentlemen at my wedding - one was a research director for a large pharmaceutical company, and the other a mathematics PhD - both of them were very normal, and neither were panted.

Sorry, I’m mexican, and I was not informed of the correct name. I think you possess more information than me.

Thanks to all dopers for your answers, an I apologize to any Scotsman who could be offended! :smack:

Only for aesthetic purposes: if any Mod cares, he can change the thread’s name to “Between my kilt and me there is… nothing?”.

And of course as a small tribute to Brooke Shields. :wink:

A Scotsman clad in kilt left the bar one evening fair
And one could tell by how he walked that he’d drunk more than his share
He fumbled 'round until he could no longer keep his feet
Then he stumbled out into the grass to sleep beside the street

About that time, two young and lovely girls did happen by
One said to the other with a twinkle in her eye:
See yon sleeping Scotsman! So strong, and handsome built
I wonder if it’s true what they don’t wear beneath the kilt?

They crept upon that sleeping Scotsman, quiet as can be
They lifted up his kilt about and inch, so they could see
And there, behold, for them to view beneath his Scottish skirt
Was nothing more than God had graced him with upon his birth

They marvelled for a moment, then one said, We must be gone
Let’s leave a present for our friend before me move along
And there the placed a blue silk ribbon, tied up in a bow
Around the bonny star the Scot’s kilt did likft and show

The Scotsman woke to Nature’s Call, and stumbled toward a tree
Behind the bush he lifts his kilt, and gawks at what he sees
And in a startled voice he says to what’s before his eyes:
O Lad! I don’t know where you’ve been, but I see you’ve won first prize!

Done.

DrMatrix - GQ Moderator

For further research, see the lowbrow-but-funny movie Carry on Up the Khyber, about a Scots regiment protecting colonial India from the Afghans. The entire plot revolves around your question. (You may want to leave your good taste at home - everybody else did. But it’s still funny!)

When a boy’s ready for his breacán filleadh or feileadh beag he leaves behind the garments of infancy, diapers and pants shaped like diapers.

So thongs are OK then?

Bleaugh.

I’m the wife of a Scotsman, got married in Dornoch (8 months before Madonna thankyouverymuch!), and lived in Scotland for several years. I can attest to the fact that, apart from perhaps a few cowardly Americans, kilts are worn the traditional way. Some of the American ladies were threatening to wear mirrors on their shoes… :stuck_out_tongue:

On thing I’ve never seen discussed in connection with this topic: Scotland is pretty damned cold, isn’t it? Further north than England, which is not known for its tropical clime. I mean, do or did Scottish males walk around outdoors in winter wearing kilts and no undergarments? Hard to believe. The Scottish nation would have gone extinct long ago, from reproductively-strategic frostbite.