Beware the Ides of March!!!

Hey, someone had to say it.

-L

I agree. Especially since today is Mrs X’s birthday :smiley:

Got nothing on the Ides of April. Seeing the accountant is an absolute joy compared to writing that check to Uncle Sam and his minions.

Was 15 March the Roman tax day? Or just the middle of every month?

I believe that the Ides of March was the day when Julius Caesar was assassinated, and the line is out of the Shakespearian play Julius Caesar, when Caesar (I hope I’m spelling that right) was warned by an augurer (ditto) about his impending doom.

It is. However, the Ides existed prior to Shakespeare using this as a warning. Falls in the middle (14th or 15th of every month. Not sure about the bad luck attached to this day, but I’m fairly sure it pre-dates Shakespearean fame.

-L

I have nothing to add, really; I just thought this would be a good place to show off my .sig. :slight_smile:

That’s totally right, Spider Woman. Then Cassius stabbed him, and then all the others stabbed him, and then Brutus, who Julius thought was his bud, stabbed him as well.

Et tu, Brute? Caeser asks just before Brutus stabs him.

FYI

“March, July, October, May,
The Ides are on the fifteenth day”

Mnemonic from my Latin class. Any other month, they’re on the 13th.

I found this:

At this site: http://astrology.about.com/science/astrology/library/weekly/aa031500a.htm

I sure wish I knew how to do that neat thing where you make the blue underlined words show up instead of the messy URL address.

-L

Check the instructions.
Just position the brackets, quotation marks correctly. :slight_smile:

SexyWriter:

Once again you suffer for your inability to code.

I was at a Cajun restaurant with some friends a few months ago, and my buddy Ryan ordered the shrimp etouffee. Our food was brought, and he realized belatedly that he’d been brought a bowl of etouffee, not the cup he’d wanted.

“You’ve been betrayed by the waiter,” I told him. "When he comes back you should say, “Etouffee, Waiter?”

Hmmm… this is all Greek to me.
:wink:

I never found them all that scarey. Last summer they played one of the local Taste Ofs and the next night Survivor played the same fest. I suppose the difference was they left the horn section at home the second night. Then 38 Special played and, as url=“http://www.jimpeterik.com/jimindex.htm”]Jim Peterik had written many of their songs, the whole thing was pretty incestuous.

I don’t suppose many of you have any idea at all what I’m talking about. :wink:

SOOTHSAYER Caesar!
CAESAR Ha! who calls?
CASCA Bid every noise be still: peace yet again!
CAESAR Who is it in the press that calls on me?
I hear a tongue, shriller than all the music,
Cry ‘Caesar!’ Speak; Caesar is turn’d to hear.
SOOTHSAYER Beware the ides of March.
CAESAR What man is that?
BRUTUS A soothsayer bids you beware the ides of March.
CAESAR Set him before me; let me see his face.
CASSIUS Fellow, come from the throng; look upon Caesar.
CAESAR What say’st thou to me now? speak once again.
SOOTHSAYER Beware the ides of March.
CAESAR He is a dreamer; let us leave him: pass.

William Shakespeare, Julius Caesar, act I, scene ii.

March 15 is also St. Longinnius day. Lonny was the legionaire who stuck his spear in Christ’s side,and was later converted and martyred. The Roman commander who had him killed was later converted as well. The spear is more commonly known for its Arthurian connection, being used to strike the Dolorous Stroke and create the Wasteland, and later used by Galahad to heal the wounded king, and by extension the Wasteland. That was probably more than anyone wanted to know.

Anyway, I always found it amusing the Lon’s day was on the Ides.

Scott

My appraisal is today, of all days!

I’ll definitely be on the look-out. :wink:

Since the Ides in April are 4/13, you don’t have to worry much about them, other than that nagging thought that, in two more days, at about 10PM, you have to sit down, rush through the forms, copy a bunch of stuff, and race to the Post Office by midnight… :wink:

My Ides began with a 2 hour yawnfest (otherwise known as a business meeting). Beware indeed.

Thanks for the link to the instructions!

-L

Strangely, my English class just started reading the Tragedy of Julius Caeser. I think my teacher timed this one.

Brutus, Judas, Cunnilingus…

they all started out with good intentions, but a tiny slip of the tongue and they landed in deep shit.

ides of march indeed.