Biblically speaking, G*d apparently got mad at America's sins and struck us with a plague. What was our sin?

Needs some cleaning up,

By turning away from the Lord, and worshiping the Trump, the false God, a head of the Beast who is doomed to the lake of fire, even making a golden idol to him and worshiping that and beign turned away from the Lord, doing abominable things, even sacrificing other nations’ children to this beast, some never to see their parents or homeland again. Only the Lord can make the US a great nation, only The Lord, but by following Trump yo have made the US a laughing stock among the nations. I have made the US the opposite of Great. The US will be the slaves of other nations, the nations that the US enslaved, I will make the US the butt of their jokes of cheap inferior goods among the nations, as they did not follow me, but turned away to worship a foreign god, a god of gold that can not speak truth. I will send a plague from a land and a people that US exploited, thus you will know that the Lord your God has done this. I will take the fortunes from it’s richest and give it to the poor, make the poor rich and the rich poor. Imagine the heights you achieved in life. You could buy anything you desire, yet you are in rags. You siphoned off the wealth of nations and stored it away, now I siphon off your remaining wealth and you are in sackcloth, while those you exploited now drive your cars and live in your homes.

But he stood in front of a Church…and he held what appeared to be a bible. And it didn’t even catch fire!

Oh, c’mon, we all know it’s because of the gays. Or is it women getting jobs? Or because we went to the moon? Or rampant sex orgies at liberal campuses? Or cats and dogs living together? So many bad things going on…

Right after he had teargassed the people out of the church.

If you explain the joke it’s not…well strictly speaking this was never ‘funny’, uh

/sits back down.

Or to sum it up in four words: Trump is the Antichrist.

There have been and are many antiChrists, those who deny the Christ, and set up a false christ that stands for hatred, bigotry, oppression and other things. These follow the beast and it’s teaching. The beast has many heads, these heads are human leaders, and have appeared throughout time, but are of the same beast. Their followers displaying a spiritual mark by physical actions displaying the right hand in a hail Hitler solute or a red cap with MAGA on the forehead.

In this there is nothing new under the sun, the story of Exodus and the story of Revelation are the same, each with marks, each with plagues, each with death. It is as old as time on a human scale and will be till Christ comith again. God’s time is not our time, and all humanity is before him from our beginnings to what is still to come. In that Christ is yet to come, is coming and had already came for His people.

We’re still waiting for this to happen.

It’s taking longer than we thought.

There’s a lot to what you say. But you’re overlooking the fact that Trump did do some things that, outwardly at least, qualify as “good” or even “righteous.”

First and foremost would be his unshakeable support for Israel. A lot of politicians before him had talked about moving the American embassy to Jerusalem–officially recognizing Israel’s claim to the city. Trump actually did it. This brings up God’s promise to Abraham: “And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee” (Genesis 12:3a).

In addition, he largely re-made the federal judiciary. Regardless of his personal views on the matter, he appointed scores of staunchly conservative judges. (I never figured out if his views ever underwent a genuine change on any of those subjects, or if he simply did a good job of faking it. Regardless of his personal views, he produced more conservative outcomes than both Bushes combined.) Because of his appointees, abortion is under the strongest attack of the last 50 years.

Even if Trump had never lifted a finger to help religious conservatives in any other way, those two points go a LONG way toward persuading people to overlook his negative qualities.

I’m torn between “enthroning the AntiChrist” and geez, where to start? The Pilgrims?

Wow, so THAT’S the explanation! I was wondering why only the United States has COVID-19 and the rest of the world has nary a single case! :rofl:

Okay, so there was a little spillage.

LeBron

I am not sure whether according to the central dogma of the Christ-O-'murican paleoreligion stupidity and ignorance are considered sins or virtues.

Historically speaking, of course, the Old Testament world had the same problem, right? So when God smote the Akkadians (made up example), the nature of virality meant the virus crossed the Akkadian border… but the sparsity of the 1300BCE global population likely contained the virus in a way a more interconnected (even if still scientifically illiterate) world … say w/ the Black Death in the 14th century (also thought by tens of millions of Christians as a punishment from God, regardless of origin) or the Indigenous Holocaust of the 16th… could not.

Now? Now we’ve been pretty good at containing these things - ebola, West Nile, bird flu, etc. Some more deadly than others, none even approaching the American death toll achieved by election day 2020. The one exception, of course, is AIDS, but most of us old enough to remember the AIDS outbreak will note that AIDS also got politicized by the same ideology which politicized COVID, leading to millions of deaths for both diseases.

But I digress…

I note over the course of my life I have known hundreds of American conservatives (my Grandparents among them) who are fully convinced that God literally blesses the USA, that our country has earned His favor and that we are truly the City on a Hill to which Winthrop spoke.

OK. Let’s accept that. Just for arguments sake, let’s accept that.

Given the events of the past 2 years, what does it then imply, for one believing as above, when the City on a Hill gets hit worse by a plague than any other nation, Christian or not? And, to the thread title, why did the City on a Hill lose to COVID in a way it didn’t lose to ebola, W Nile, etc?

Anyway, those are rhetorical questions. I’m not really expecting you to answer, Jasmine: as noted in the OP, I’m not interested in arguing the premise because the countering premise (“America has been blessed by God”) is also not being argued. That’s not the topic here.

Did we really get hit worse than any other nation?

Yup.

Imgur

Imgur

As with most (all?) wraths of the OT, we done brought this on ourselves. We have the means to avoid, even eradicate this plague but we have hardened our hearts to reason and so we continue to suffer. All the nations of the earth seem to be engaging the same sin, and suffering the same wrath.

And it makes sense. If you’re a creation deity who got tired of making fleshy automatons for billions of years so you decided to gift one species with Reason, wouldn’t you be kinda put out when they rejected your gift and headed back to automatism? So you spitefully set them a problem they either think their way out of or perish.

Maybe it’s just plain old stupidity, rather than moral failings.