Biden's choice for vice presidential candidate

Joe Biden has committed to picking a woman as his vice presidential candidate. Several news sources have come up with short lists of potential running mates.

Do you think he’ll choose someone who already ran (and lost) for the presidential spot?

Will he go for a relative unknown?

Someone from a swing state?

A minority woman?

CNN says their top 10 list is:
10. Michelle Lujan Grisham
9. Stacey Abrams
8. Val Demings
7. Tammy Baldwin
6. Tammy Duckworth
5. Elizabeth Warren
4. Catherine Cortez Masto
3. Amy Klobuchar
2. Gretchen Whitmer

1. Kamala Harris

It’s Warren’s to refuse.

But Warren is from Massachusetts, not exactly a state that is in contention.

I’m thinking more like Gretchen Witmer. She’s a popular governor of a swing state (Michigan). She’s young (48) which would help many who think Biden is too old. She’s a moderate, like Biden, and she’s received a lot of positive publicity from the way she’s lead her state through the coronavirus crisis.

Disagree. It would hand a Senate seat to the Republicans, plus Biden has said recently he wants someone with “some correlation between their views and mine,” especially in regard to healthcare.

Would I like Warren as vice president/president? More than anything else. But I don’t think it’s the slam dunk you think it is.

I think it’s going to come down to Whitmer and Demmings. They both offer positives to the ticket that Biden needs, demographically and geographically.

We did a long thread on this, Biden’s Running Mate Prediction Thread, a couple of weeks ago. I don’t think anything has changed since.

When do you think he’ll announce his choice?

Just before the convention. If he did it soon it will be drowned out in COVID noise.

I think the number 1 thing Biden will look for is someone who he could have a close working relationship with like he did with Obama. I’m thinking Klobuchar but that’s just a guess.

Probably a couple of weeks before the convention. So late June or early July.

Except klobuchar brings neither electoral votes nor grassroots excitement from her failed presidential run. She’s a boring moderate from Minnesota. There’s a place in the cabinet I’m sure, but she adds nothing to a ticket that already has a somewhat lackluster main candidate.

Keep 'em coming, everybody. There are no stupid suggestions.

True, but she might help generate enthusiasm among the Bernie Bros. I doubt it’ll be here though. Even if Biden wants her I don’t see Warren wanting to be Vice-President.

Is that a challenge?

Ivanka Trump

Wow. I was Just a bout to post that.

I don’t know, I think telegraphing required demographic should be a behind closed door strategy. Yes, of course balancing the ticket is a smart tactic, but this seems like saying the quiet part out loud. He’s too old. Hes too white. I’m fine with any race, sex, color, sexual orientation, whatever. But I bristle at preemptively saying the VP HAS to be this or that to even be considered.

Yes, this is totally going to backfire. VP was key for Biden, and he’s already fucked that up.

I hate to say it but it looks like Trump wins.

I imagine it’s likely the other way – he’s already decided, or at least decided on 2 or 3, all of whom are women, and the campaign thought announcing that he’d pick a woman early would be good headlines for him.

I still think he should find a female general (or equivalent from other branches), and bonus points if she is a two-fer. Not trying to be obnoxious, but to draw out voters, it makes sense to try appeal to the biggest base out there. Biden already has the white male vote (that isn’t already going to Trump). Women make up half the voters, so appealing to the Veep breaking that glass ceiling either via Biden dying or 2024 as an established incumbent.

Anyhoo, by definition if one has made it to general

• know how to play politics
  • can’t have a closet full of skeletons
  • appeal to the support the military voters
  • and it’s my WAG that Bone Spurs has completely pissed off the military leadership with all of his pardons, firing of Capt. Brett Crozier, etc.

I think that is a broader appeal than the OP’s top 10 list. Feel free to poke holes in this theory.

So . . . Nadja West?

Start looking here: List of female United States military generals and flag officers - Wikipedia