Big-ass tidal waves could occur, soon. Ish.

No, but I bet Coloradans will have something to say when the East Coast exodus causes Denver’s population to double very hour.

I figure we could build a cubic structure 1 mile per side, and budget a 2’ x 2’ x 6’ booth for each refugee, and we could handle, what, 6.1 billion people.

Give each refugee a private bathroom, and we reduce capacity to 3 billion people – still enough for the New Yorkers who are used to such cramped conditions.

So what’s the problem, eh?

Has anyone told Lobsang about this?
:smiley:

Here’s the transcipt of the Discovery/Horizon show: http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/horizon/2000/mega_tsunami_transcript.shtml

A previous thread: Mega-tsunami as terrorist threat

http://www.sciscoop.com/comments/2002/12/20/155939/55/1#1

Baard? Sounds Dutch (Dutch for “beard” actually). What the hell do the Dutch know about nukes? :slight_smile:

Let’s not let the west coasters off the hook. Oahu used to be about 10,000 feet tall but now it’s only 4,000 feet. Where’d it all go? It’s around here somewhere. The next one for us is the south flank of Kilauea.

Unfortunately I’d be one of the first to go.

Total hijack:

Seeing someone here from Hawai’i…

Why is there an apostrophe in the name? What’s missing? How could it be missing when the original language not only wasn’t written with Roman characters, but I’m betting wasn’t written down at all until a few hundred years ago?

It’s the way a glottal stop is transliterated from some languages like Arabic to English. It’s not pronounced huhWHY but rather HUH-WUH-I and the last vowel is separated by the glottal stop. It’s what divides the syllables in uh uh or a Cockney pronunciation of butter.

It’s not an apostrophe. It’s a glottal stop and called an okina. Do you know how when you say “uh-oh” your voice stops in the middle? Your voice is supposed to stop between the two I’s. And so be pronounced like this. And that’s what makes my state name the most mispronounced state name in the nation.

For every action there is equall and opposite reaction.
I’m applying this metaphore to American policy and countless wars America had instigated around the world ,yet there never was any major conflict ,no blood sheed on American soil(except civil war)
Now with the possibility of Yellowstone blowing up ,and this huge tsunami like wave destroying Atlantic coast and hopefully Washington , we will pay the price.
Just kidding :wink: or maybe not?

Close, you lost the first I. It goes with the A in a diphthong. Try HUH-WHY-EE and don’t forget that okina

I didn’t take into account our accent differences. You would HATE what I did to the name of your home if I pronounced HUH-WHY-EE in my accent. :smiley:

Anyway, I here a lot of people pronounce Connecticut without the second c. Is that the way it’s meant to be said? If not, CT would be a close second behind Hawai’i for mispronunciation.

100 meter waves! 500 mph! So, how far would the waters reach inland along the east coast of America? Is there any specific details about specific areas, like the Canadian maritime provinces, for example?

This is the one reason I don’t feel safe living on a seaboard. I’m not too fond of volcanoes either. I think I’d feel much safer living somewhere in southern Manitoba/southwestern Ontario/Minnesota. Is there anything I should be worried about in that area? (I can’t wait for the smart-ass answers to that question. :wink: )

Anyhoo…

And the War of 1812, and the Revolutionary War. Would the Revolutionary War count as on American soil? I mean, we were still British, but we declared independence. Anywho…where was I going with this?

Anywho, I’m glad I don’t live on the east coast.

That’s not quite true. The Japanese bombed and attacked the outermost Aleutian Islands and shed a decent amount of blood during World War II.

And before I get nitpicked, yes I know Alaska wasn’t a state then. But since it is still American soil as far as I care.

Yep. They already mentioned the Yellostone Supervolcano (Warning: MS Word Document):

Sheesh… someone mentions a tsunami on the East coast and everyone gets excited.
When I was in high school there was an earthquake in Alaska. A friend of mine was supposed to be at a slumber party with the rest of us. Instead, she went to the Ocean with her boyfriend.
Back then, one could drive on Washington beaches.
They parked her dad’s car on the beach, and went to “rest” behind a dune… How does a 16 year old explain to dad that his fairly new Monte Carlo is somewhere at the bottom the Pacific Ocean?

We’re talking something that’s several orders of magnitude larger than the one your friend experienced. A tsunami that could conceivably kill millions.